Drag-and-drop different block types on your pages to customize the content’s style and structure.
Blocks are drag-and-drop features that display content on your site. You'll use them to customize your pages with a variety of content, like text, images, buttons, and forms. In this guide, you'll learn about the different types of blocks available and how to add them to content areas, such as layout pages or blog posts.
Tip: To help make your site content accessible to the broadest audience possible, visit Accessibility resources at Squarespace.
Watch a video
Add a block
To add a block:
- Open the Pages panel and select the page you want to edit.
- Click Edit in the top-left corner.
- Hover over the section where you want to add the block and click Add Block in the top-left corner. The page needs to have at least one block section to add blocks.
Tip: If no Add Block button appears, you may be on a collection page section or another type of section that doesn't support blocks, like auto layouts or gallery sections. If the section supports blocks but doesn't have an Add Block button, you're using Squarespace's classic editor, a slightly different editing experience used in certain areas of your site. To add blocks in the classic editor, click an insert point instead.
- In the menu, click a block. You can also search for blocks at the top of the menu.
- The new block will appear on the page with placeholder content. Depending on the block, an editor may open where you can customize it.
- Open the Pages panel. (If the Pages panel isn't visible, collapse the site preview by clicking the arrow in the top-left corner of your site.)
- In the Pages panel, click the page you want to edit or add a new page.
- Hover over the area where you're adding a block and click Edit.
Tip: If you’re working with a blank layout page, you'll see a message that reads “This page is empty. Start editing and add content blocks.” This message only appears to you until you add blocks to the page. To visitors, the page will be blank without any text.
- Click + in the top-right corner or an insert point to open the block menu.
- In the menu, click a block. You can also search at the top of the menu with words like image, text, or form.
- The new block will appear on the page with placeholder content. Depending on the block, an editor will open where you can customize it.
Block options in the app work differently depending which version of Squarespace your site is on.
- On version 7.1, you can add blocks to blog posts, individual events, and product additional information. You can’t add blocks on Fluid Engine sections.
- On version 7.0, you can add blocks to blank layout pages and to blog posts.
To add a new block:
- Tap the Pages icon.
- Tap the page you’d like to edit.
- Tap Edit or the pencil icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap any existing block to edit it, or tap + to add a new block.
- Scroll through the block settings at the bottom of the screen to add content and customize the block.
- When you’re done, tap Done or ✓ in the top-left corner to save your changes.
Drag and drop
You can also drag and drop a block if you know where you want to place it on the page:
- Drag a block from the menu. Guidelines display on the page to show where you can place the block.
- Drop the block to place it on the page. Depending on the block, an editor may open where you can customize it.
Add blocks to other areas
You can add blocks to:
- Block sections on any page
- Blog posts
- Event descriptions
- Layout pages
- Page headers and footers (version 7.0)
- Product additional information
- Sidebars (version 7.0)
It’s not possible to add blocks to:
If you want blocks on the same page as a section that doesn't support blocks, add a block section above or below that section.
Banners and headers
In most templates, it's not possible to add blocks to a banner or header.
- Change your site title and tagline in the logo & title panel.
- Change your navigation links in page settings.
- Most banners support overlay text.
You can add blocks to the site-wide header in these template families:
- Montauk - Add blocks in the header when the Header subtitle: custom tweak is selected.
- Skye - Add blocks in the navigation overlay.
- Wells - Add blocks in the content area of the navigation sidebar.
- Some templates have page headers that support blocks. For example, in the Brine family, you can add blocks to the intro area that displays over page banners.
Edit an existing block
Some block content, like text in text blocks, can be edited directly on the page, but most blocks have a block editor where you'll add, edit, and manage the block's content.
To open a block editor:
- Click Edit on the page with the block you want to edit.
- Click the block to select it, then click the pencil icon that appears above the block. Alternatively, double-click the block.
Insert points are + icons in the classic editor that show where you can add blocks when editing your site on a computer. They appear above and below existing blocks so you can choose the block’s placement before adding it.
In Fluid Engine, click Add Block instead. In the Squarespace app, click the + icon in the top-right corner.
Why can’t I find the + buttons?
If you can't find the Add Block button or + icons when editing on the computer, first ensure you’re editing an area where you can add blocks. Review the list above.
Next, ensure the editor is open. To open an editor:
- Version 7.1 - Click Edit in the top-left corner of the page where you want to add the block and ensure the page has at least one block section.
- Version 7.0 - Hover over where you want to add the block, and then click Edit.
If no Add Block button appears in the top-left corner, you're using the classic editor. If the classic editor is open but no + icons appear when you hover above or below a block, another block may already be selected. Click elsewhere on the page to deselect the block, then hover where you want to add the new block.
If you’re still having trouble, it may help to clear your browser’s cache, disable any browser extensions, or update your browser version. If a + icon doesn't appear when you click edit on the Squarespace app, adding new blocks to that page may not be supported in the app.
Types of blocks
Use these blocks to add content to your site:
- 500px - Add images from your 500px account.
- Amazon (premium feature) - Link to Amazon items. This is useful if you participate in Amazon's Affiliate program.
- Archive - Display organized lists of links to collection items.
- Audio - Add players for audio files.
- Bandsintown - Display tour dates from your Bandsintown profile.
- Button - Add buttons and calls to action.
- Calendar - Display items on your pages, like events, as a calendar sorted by day.
- Chart - Add bar, line, and pie charts.
- Content link - Add links to other pages on your site with visual previews.
- Donation (premium feature) - Collect donations to your cause or organization. Requires a connected Stripe or PayPal account.
- Embed - Add external content with links to tweets, videos, and more.
- Flickr - Add images from your Flickr account.
- Foursquare - Add feeds of your Foursquare check-ins.
- Form - Add forms to collect information from visitors.
- Gallery - Add galleries of images or videos in carousel, grid, slideshow, or stack layouts.
- Image - Add images with captions in card, collage, inline, overlap, poster, or stack layouts.
- Instagram - Add posts from your Instagram account.
- Line - Add horizontal lines to break up text or visually separate content.
- Map - Add Google Maps with location pins.
- Markdown - Add text using the Markdown language.
- Menu (premium feature) - Display restaurant menus.
- Newsletter - Add newsletter subscription forms.
- OpenTable (premium feature) - Add restaurant reservation booking. You'll need an OpenTable Restaurant ID.
- Product - Display products from store pages.
- Quote - Add styled quotations or testimonials.
- Reservations - Add a button for making reservations or selling tickets to events with Tock.
- RSS - Add links to blog page RSS feeds.
- Scheduling - Add online booking with Acuity Scheduling.
- Scrolling - Add scrolling text like a marquee or news ticker.
- Shape (Fluid Engine only) - Add solid color shapes.
- Search - Add search fields.
- Social links - Add icons that link to social media profiles.
- SoundCloud - Embed SoundCloud players.
- Spacer - Add adjustable amounts of space or padding between blocks. Not supported on Fluid Engine sections.
- Summary - Display collection items from your site in carousel, grid, list, or wall layouts.
- Tag cloud - Display tags or categories in a graphic cloud formation.
- Text - Add text, including headings, quotes, pre-formatted text, links, and lists.
- Video - Add externally hosted videos.
- Zola - Add wedding registries.
The Squarespace app doesn't support all blocks. To add or edit unsupported blocks, log into your site on a computer.
- Button - Add buttons and calls to action
- Gallery - Add galleries of images or videos in carousel, grid, slideshow, or stack layouts
- Image - Add images with captions in card, collage, inline, overlap, poster, or stack layouts
- Line - Add horizontal lines to break up text or visually separate content
- Text - Add text, including headings, quotes, pre-formatted text, links, and lists
- Video - Add externally hosted videos
It's not possible to add or edit blocks in Fluid Engine sections on the Squarespace app.
Use the archive block instead of these discontinued blocks:
- Author list
- Category list
- Month list
- Tag list
For more help, visit Discontinued features.
Now that you've added a block, you can:
Visit the guide for your block to learn about its styling and editing options.