Recreate your content and page layouts on version 7.1.
There's currently not an automatic way to upgrade your version 7.0 site, but with Squarespace's flexibility and customization, you can rebuild your content and layouts in version 7.1 and take advantage of its new features and options.
We released Squarespace version 7.1 in early 2020. While we still support version 7.0, version 7.1 has an improved editing experience and more flexibility. For example, you can add page sections and banner images to any page, enable site-wide animations, use auto-layouts to arrange sets of content, create section-specific styles, and use Fluid Engine, our latest content editing experience.
If you're unsure which version you're on, visit What's my site's version and template?
If you have a version 7.0 website and want to move to version 7.1, follow the list of actions in this guide to set up your new site, recreate your content, and cancel your original site.
Tip: For hands-on help migrating your site, hire a Squarespace Expert. Click Get Matched to answer a few questions about what you need, and ensure you select Site Migration as your project type.
Watch a video
Before you begin
It's not possible to transfer billing plans from one site to another. If your version 7.0 site is on one of our legacy billing plans, your billing options for version 7.1 may vary. Ensure you check our current pricing plans before beginning this process.
Step 1 - Prepare your content
Gather content from your existing site so you're prepared to add it to your new site. There's no one right way to do this, and it can vary depending on what you're moving over, but organize the content in a way that's convenient and makes sense to you.
- Copy text content - If your site has large amounts of text content, copy and paste it all into a single document or file so you can readily access it when you start building your new site.
- Save images - If you don't have the images you've uploaded to your site saved on your device, download them from your site. Organizing them into folders is a great way to simplify the process when you start uploading.
- Export products - If you're using Squarespace Commerce, you can export your products to a .csv and directly import them to your new site. It’s not possible to import other content, like pages, blog posts, or blocks.
- Note style settings - In site styles, take note of any particular style settings you want to preserve, like specific colors or fonts, as guidelines for your new site.
- Keep your current site active - We recommend leaving your version 7.0 site active until your new site is complete. This ensures you'll have access to your assets and visitors can still access your content while your new site is under construction.
Step 2 - Set up your new site
After you've prepared your content for the move, you can start creating your new version 7.1 site. You can import products as a .csv file from your version 7.0 site, but other content you'll need to recreate manually. There may be slight differences, but you can replicate most version 7.0 designs in version 7.1.
- Start a version 7.1 trial - Select a template to start a 14-day free trial. All version 7.1 templates have the same features and design options, so look for a template you like or one that's similar to your old site. While working on your new site, we suggest keeping it private. If you need more time at the end of two weeks, you can extend your trial.
- Rebuild content - Click Edit in the top-left corner of the page preview to paste text content, upload images, and recreate blocks from your original site. Block sections use Fluid Engine, our latest page editing experience with more versatile design possibilities, but most page, block, and content options are the same, or have an alternative option.
- Import products - Add products to your store by importing products from your version 7.0 site. When you import, you don't have to manually recreate products. Keep in mind, if your version 7.0 site uses our classic product editor, version 7.1 store pages add a /p/ to the product URL between the store page slug and the product slug. Set up URL redirects so that customers with old URLs can find the new ones. To learn how to redirect multiple product links with a single redirect, visit our guide on URL redirects.
- Try new features - Explore new possibilities with features only available in version 7.1, like page sections, auto layouts, and portfolio pages.
- Style your site - Use site styles to set the font packs, color themes, and other style settings for your site. You can match fonts and colors to your previous site, or use the expanded options in version 7.1 to try new styles. Note that custom Adobe Fonts aren't supported in version 7.1.
- Set up SEO - Squarespace is well-regarded for our built-in, search-optimized design, but moving from one site to another can affect your site’s search ranking, no matter what platform you choose. To ensure your new site is optimized before going live, follow our SEO checklist and our tips on maintaining SEO.
Tip: To learn even more, register for our expert-led webinar, Getting Started with Squarespace version 7.1.
Step 3 - Manage subscriptions
After your new site is ready to go live, you can upgrade to paid service and cancel your old site. If you have other subscriptions, like a custom domain or Email Campaigns, you'll need to take a few more steps to enable them on your new site.
- Upgrade to paid service - If you're ready to publish your site, subscribe to one of our current website billing plans and publish your site. New sites need to use one of our current billing plans. If your version 7.0 site is on one of our legacy billing plans, your billing options for version 7.1 may vary.
- Move your domain - You can move custom domains from your old site to your new site. The process depends on if you're using a Squarespace domain or a third-party domain. If you have a Google Workspace account associated with the domain, you can move it too.
- Check for other subscriptions - Check for any other active subscriptions on your current site. These can't be moved from one site to another. Follow the tips below to cancel these subscriptions on your old site and then subscribe again on your new site.
- Cancel your version 7.0 site - When your version 7.1 site is upgraded to paid service, you can cancel your version 7.0 site to avoid paying for multiple sites at the same time. The content of your canceled site will be marked for permanent deletion. If you had remaining time in an annual subscription, contact us to find out if you’re eligible for a prorated refund for switching sites.
Manage other subscriptions
- Email Campaigns - Cancel your Email Campaigns subscription on your old site and sign up on your new site. To move mailing lists, export them from your old site and import them to your new site.
- Digital Products - Before moving, consider these tips for migrating members. Then, sign up for Digital Products on your new site and cancel the Digital Products subscription on your old site.
Acuity Scheduling - What you should do with your Acuity subscription depends on how you're using it:
- You can cancel your version 7.0 site subscription and leave the Acuity subscription active. This is a good option if you've got a complex setup that could be time consuming to build again. When you create your 7.1 site, add a scheduling block and connect it to your existing Acuity subscription.
- You can cancel your Acuity subscription on your old site and sign up on your new site. This is a good option if you have a basic setup that could be quickly recreated or you need to use site-specific integrations like sending marketing emails to Acuity clients via Email Campaigns. To move clients and appointments, export them from your old site and import them to your new site.
- Stock images - To move stock images to your new site, you'll need to download them from your old site or from the image service directly. If they're premium images, your old site must no longer be published before you add them to a new site and publish that new site. You may only use premium images in connection with one Squarespace site at a time. Visit Searching and adding stock images for more licensing details.
Find features in 7.1
Click Edit in the top-left corner of the page preview to edit the page content, or to design and style your site header. Add page sections to any page, including collection pages, by clicking Add section above or below existing content. Click + to add blocks to a section. Click the paintbrush icon to open global site styles, or style a specific section by clicking its pencil icon.
Use the table below for an overview of how features have changed in version 7.1 and which features are the same in both versions.
|Version 7.0 feature||Version 7.1 differences|
|Analytics||Same as version 7.0.|
|Album pages||Not in version 7.1. Use audio blocks on pages instead.|
|Blocks||Same as version 7.0, except version 7.1 doesn’t support gallery blocks in sections. Use gallery sections instead.|
|Collection pages||Same as version 7.0, but you can also add sections to any page. Version 7.1 also includes portfolio pages.|
|Commerce||Functionality is the same as version 7.0. Store page special features are similar to the advanced options in version 7.0.|
|Cover pages||Not in version 7.1. Achieve an effect similar by adding pages with only one section.|
|Developer Platform||Currently unsupported in version 7.1.|
|Gallery pages||Not in version 7.1. Use gallery sections instead.|
|Importing and exporting content||Same as version 7.0, except version 7.1 doesn't support importing from Squarespace 5.|
|Index pages||Not in version 7.1. Instead of stacked index pages, use page sections. Instead of grid index pages, use portfolio pages.|
|Layout pages||Similar to version 7.0, but with enhanced versatility and flexibility in Fluid Engine. You can also add different types of sections to the page.|
|Marketing features||Same as version 7.0.|
|Mobile style settings||
Version 7.1 sites adapt to mobile devices and smaller browser windows automatically, without separate mobile style options.
In Fluid Engine, design your mobile layout independently from your computer layout.
|SEO features||Same as version 7.0.|
|Settings panel||Same as version 7.0.|
There's no template switching in version 7.1, as all version 7.1 sites share all the same features and options. Instead, try out different style options.
Can I still use older designs?
All version 7.1 templates have the same features and design options, so no matter which template you start with, you won't be limited in what you can create. To start a site with the look of our old designs, use one of these version 7.1 options that are similar to popular version 7.0 designs:
|Version 7.0 template family||Version 7.1 template|
Find information in the Help Center
Our Help Center is here to support customers no matter what version of Squarespace their site is on. Many parts of the platform are the same in version 7.1 and 7.0, such as analytics, billing, commerce, domains, Email Campaigns, Google Workspace, and SEO features. For these topics, our guides apply to both versions. For version-specific information:
- If a feature is exclusive to one version, a note about this appears at the top of the guide, including alternatives when possible.
- In guides for features that have minor differences in each platform, you'll find tabs with steps and information for either platform.
Version tabs look like this: