You can register multiple domain names through Squarespace on all trial sites and on most paid Squarespace plans. It's not possible to register a domain on a Mobile Start plan.
In this guide, you'll learn how to register a Squarespace domain, either free or paid. Annual billing plans include one free domain for the first year of service. If you're on a trial, a monthly plan, or if you want multiple domains, you can register them for $20 to $70 per year.
Am I eligible for a free domain?
If you're within the first year of an annual Squarespace billing plan, you're eligible for one free custom domain. For eligible TLDs and other terms, visit Free Squarespace domain offer.
What if I already have a domain?
If you own a domain name purchased through another provider (like GoDaddy or 1&1), you can transfer it to Squarespace and manage it through your site. If you can't transfer your domain, you can connect it instead.
Step 1 - Find the domain(s)
To find a domain to register and review the price, follow these steps:
- Log into your site. In the Home menu, click Settings, then click Domains. If you haven't built a site yet, you can start with a domain and a parking page instead.
- Click Get a domain.
- In the Search for your domain field, enter the domain name you want.
- A list of suggested domains displays with these labels:
- Free - You can pick one of these domains to register for free if you're eligible.
- $20 to $70 - You can purchase this domain for the specified price. (After clicking a free domain, all other free domains will switch to their price value.)
- Unavailable - You can't purchase these domains.
If you're registering a country code top-level domain (ccTLD) such as .com.au or .de, review all registration requirements first. To learn more about a specific ccTLD's requirements, visit Domain TLD list.
Step 2 - Add the domain(s) to your cart
To select domain(s) to register:
- Click the shopping cart icon next to the domain(s) you want to add them to your cart. You can search again using a different term to add more domains.
- A checkmark will display next to your selected domain(s). You can also review your selected domain(s) using the Domain drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- Click Checkout when the domain(s) you want are in your cart.
Step 3 - Enter your contact information
Your contact information will be listed as the owner of the domain(s). This information is required, but it's private, and we won't share it on public records. Whois/Domain Privacy is included with all Squarespace domains.
To add your contact information:
- In the Registration panel, enter your contact information. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
- Review the contact information to ensure it's correct, then click Save and continue.
Step 4 - Review and register
Before you check out:
- Review the domains you selected. Click the trash can to remove any domains you don't want.
- If you're eligible for a free domain, only the first domain is free. Although the last four digits of your credit card will display at this step, your card won't be charged for the free domain.
- Confirm your domain's registrar, listed just below the domain. It will either be Squarespace or Tucows.
- Click the link to review our Terms of Service.
- Click Confirm and purchase to complete the registration.
Verify information if prompted
You may receive an email asking you to verify information. This can happen for two different reasons:
Your bank may require you to verify your domain purchase. This process is part of Strong Customer Authentication (SCA), and only applies to credit cards issued in the European Economic Area (EEA).
If your bank requires verification, the Domains panel will display a Verify your purchase note, and you'll receive an email with next steps. Your bank will cancel the purchase if it isn't verified within two hours.
If our system notices a suspicious domain registration, you'll receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the instructions in the message to complete your domain registration.
Step 5 - Verify via email (important)
You'll receive an email within 24 hours from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org asking you to verify your email address. The email is sent to the address you entered at registration.
Click the link in this email to validate your contact information for the domain.
Email verification is a very important step in this process. You're required to verify your domain from this email within 15 days of registration or it will be suspended.
Note: If you previously verified a Squarespace domain from this email address, we may automatically verify your new domain without sending this email.
If your domain is suspended
If your domain is suspended, you can can unsuspend it by resending your email verification and validating your domain via the link in the email.
Step 6 - Follow-up emails and wait time
After registering your Squarespace domain(s) you'll receive a receipt email. You may also receive a second email about data sharing, depending on your domain's registrar.
- One email is sent from email@example.com with the subject "Thank you for choosing Squarespace Domains." This summarizes your domain purchase and acts as the receipt for your domain(s).
- If your domain registrar is Tucows, a second email is sent from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Set your data sharing settings for your domain." This email asks you to set your data sharing preferences. Tucows requires us to send this email to comply with data regulations like GDPR. Sharing your data is optional and you don't need to take any action.
Note: If you don't receive these emails, but receive an email from email@example.com with the subject "We were unable to complete purchasing your domain(s)," follow the troubleshooting steps below.
Your new domain(s) will display in the Domains panel with a notification that it's almost ready. Most domains will resolve within an hour, though it may take up to 72 hours to process.
While your domain is pending, it will have a yellow label and a Registration In Progress note in the Domains panel. Click the Refresh button to check the status.
When the domain is fully resolved and connected, it will appear in the Domains panel with a green label and the renewal date and price.
The domain registration failed
If we weren't able to complete your domain registration, the Domains panel will show a Registration Failed note with a red label. You'll also receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org explaining what went wrong. In most cases, domain registrations fail because of a billing error or if the domain doesn't meet our naming requirements.
To try to fix the issue and register your domain again:
- Ensure that your billing information is correct. You may need to update your credit card on file.
- Ensure the domain you're registering meets our naming requirements.
- In the Domains panel, click the domain, then click Retry to restart registration for that domain.
- If the domain is no longer available, a Retry button won't display. Instead, restart the registration process and search for a different TLD or a variation of the domain.
The domain payment didn't verify
If your bank couldn't verify the payment, the Domains panel will display a Registration Unsuccessful note. To fix the issue, click the domain in the Domains panel, then click Try Again to restart registration for that domain. Ensure you verify your payment within two hours.
The verification link doesn’t work
If the link in the domain verification email doesn’t work or leads to a 404 page, your email provider may be changing the URL when you try to open it. To fix the issue, try viewing your email inbox in another browser or a mobile app, then retry clicking the link.
Next steps and important information
- If you registered a free domain with your annual plan, it's free for your first year. After the first year of domain service, your domain renews for $20. This policy applies to free domains registered starting March 4, 2015.
- Buy more domains at any time.
- You can rename most domains within five days of registering it. Domain names can't be changed after this five-day grace period.
- The www and non-www versions of your domain are automatically linked. When you type your domain name into your browser without the "www," you'll be taken to your site, but the "www" will appear in the address bar.
- Your new domain includes domain hosting, but doesn't include web hosting. To learn more about the difference between websites and domains, visit Web hosting vs. domain hosting.
- Get a custom email address for your domain through our partnership with Google Workspace by Google.
- If you’re leaving Squarespace, you can transfer your domain(s) to another provider after 60 days.
- You can't register a domain name that someone else owns. To learn more, visit Squarespace domains overview.