You can register multiple domain names through Squarespace on any trial or paid Squarespace plan.
In this guide, you'll learn how to register a Squarespace Domain, either free or paid. Annual billing plans include one free domain for the first year of service. If you're on a trial, a monthly plan, or if you want multiple domains, you can register them for $20 to $70 per year.
Tip: To register a Squarespace Domain without building a full site yet, you can start with a domain and parking page.
Watch a video
Am I eligible for a free domain?
If you're on an annual Squarespace billing plan, you're eligible for one free custom domain if it's available. For eligible TLDs and other terms, visit Free Squarespace Domain offer.
What if I already have a domain?
If you own a domain name purchased through another provider (like GoDaddy or 1&1), you can transfer it to Squarespace and manage it through your site. If you can't transfer your domain, you can connect it instead.
Step 1 - Find domain(s)
To find a domain to register, follow these steps:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Get a Domain.
- In the Get a Domain box, enter the domain name you want. Then press Enter or click Search. To search by TLD category, click the drop-down under the first set of search results.
- A list of suggested available domains displays with these labels:
- Free - You can pick one of these domains to register for free if you're eligible.
- $20 to $70 - You can purchase this domain for the specified price. (After clicking a free domain, all other free domains will switch to their price value.)
- Taken - The domain name is unavailable.
Note: If you're registering a .co.uk domain, review all registration requirements first.
If your domain is taken
If the exact domain is taken, there are a few reasons why this might happen. The domain you entered could already be taken, it could be a premium domain, or it might contain too many characters. You can learn about our domain name restrictions in the Limitations section.
Step 2 - Add domain(s) to your cart
To select domain(s) to register:
- Hover over the domain(s) you want, and click Add to add them to your cart. You can search again using a different term and add more domains. In this example, we're registering one $20 USD domain.
- You'll see an In Cart label next to your selected domain(s).
- Scroll down and click Proceed to Checkout.
Step 3 - Enter your contact information
In the form that appears, enter your contact information. Your contact information will be listed as the owner of the domain(s). This information is required, but it's private and we won't share it on public records. Whois/Domain Privacy is included with all Squarespace Domains.
Please review your information carefully, and follow the tips below (our system is a little sensitive about the formatting of these fields). When you're finished, click Continue.
Note: None of the registration fields accept special characters, such as ü, é, ñ, or ø.
- Use an email address that's not associated with the domain you're registering. For example, if you're registering createbeautifulwebsite.net, you can't enter any address ending in @createbeautifulwebsite.net as a domain contact. This ensures that if your domain is ever suspended or expired, we can still contact you.
- If possible, don't use an Apple email address (usually ending in @mac.com, @me.com, or @icloud.com). These accounts sometime mark our verification emails as spam, making it more difficult for you to verify your domain and complete registration.
- Remove any spaces after the address.
- Format phone numbers with dashes between sets of numbers, like: 555-555-5555
- If you're registering a domain ending in .co or .me, include your country code and a period at the beginning of the phone number, like: +1.555-555-5555
- In Address 1, include the number and street name of your address only.
- Use Address Line 2 for information like an apartment or floor number.
- If you don't live in Canada or the United States, leave the State field blank.
- Ensure that the Postal Code is correct and formatted properly.
- If you're not registering a domain for an organization, just re-enter the domain owner's name. This field is required and must include a minimum of four characters.
Step 4 - Review and register
Before you check out, review this information carefully:
- Click Registration Information and ensure your contact information is correct. This is the contact information we'll use to verify domain ownership.
- Review the domains you selected. If you don't want to register one, click "x" to remove it.
- If you're eligible for a free domain, only the first domain is free.
- Although you'll see your credit card information at this step, your card won't be charged for any free domains.
- Click the link to review our Terms of Service.
- Click Purchase to complete the registration.
In the Congratulations message that appears, click Make Primary to set a new domain as your primary domain. The primary domain will always appear in the browser address bar no matter which domain a visitor used to open your site. You can change this at any time.
Step 5 - Verify via email (important)
You'll receive an email within 24 hours from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Please verify your domain name(s) as soon as possible." The email will be sent to the address you entered at registration.
Click the link in this email to validate your contact information for the domain.
Email verification is a very important step in this process. You must verify your domain from this email within 15 days of registration or it will be suspended.
Note: If you previously verified a Squarespace Domain from this email address, we may automatically verify your new domain without sending this email.
If your domain is suspended
If your domain is suspended, you can can unsuspend it by resending your email verification and validating your domain via the link in the email.
Step 6 - Congratulations
Congratulations! You just registered your Squarespace domain(s).
You'll receive an email for each domain from email@example.com with the subject "Thank You for Registering a Domain with Squarespace." This email acts as the receipt for your domain.
You'll also receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org asking you to set your data sharing preferences. Our domain registrar, Tucows, requires that we send this email to comply with data regulations like GDPR. Sharing your data is optional and you don't need to take any action.
Your new domain will display in the Domains panel with a notification that it's almost ready. Most domains will resolve within an hour, though it may take up to 72 hours to process.
While your domain resolves, click Visit to see if your domain is live.
Next steps and important information
- If you registered a free domain with your annual plan, it will be free for your first year. After the first year of domain service, your domain will renew for $20. This policy applies to free domains registered starting March 4, 2015.
- Buy more domains any time.
- You can rename any domain within five days of registering it. Domain names can't be changed after this five-day grace period.
- If you’re leaving Squarespace, you can transfer your domain(s) to another provider after 60 days.
- The www and non-www versions of your domain are automatically linked. When you type your domain name into your browser without the "www," you'll be taken to your site, but the "www" will appear in the address bar.
- Get a custom email address for your domain through our partnership with G Suite by Google.