In Squarespace version 7.1, pages and footers are made of sections stacked vertically. Each section has pre-built layout options that you can customize, and you can add, delete, and move sections to arrange your content.
Tip: For a similar effect in version 7.0, use a stacked Index.
Watch a video
Add and edit sections
To get started, go to the page, then click Edit in the top-left of the page preview. Hover over a section to see its options.
- Click + to add a section.
- Click ↑ ↓ to move the section.
- Click the pencil icon to style the section.
- Click the trash can icon to delete the section. After saving, sections can't be restored.
- Click Save to publish your changes. Changes don't auto-save.
Tip: To create new pages, visit Adding pages to your navigation.
How you add and style content depends on the section. There are three types:
- Block sections - Customize a layout with blocks.
- Gallery sections - Add galleries of images and choose their layouts.
- Collection sections - Display collection items. For example, Blog Pages have a collection sections that display blog posts.
You can add block and gallery sections to any page. Collection sections are unique to their pages, and can't be deleted.
Blocks are features you can use to add content to your site, like text, images, buttons, and forms. All sections are block sections, except gallery and collection sections.
To add content to block sections:
- Double-click any block to add your own content.
- Add or move blocks to customize the layout.
- Hover over a block and click the trash can icon to delete it. After saving, blocks can't be restored.
- Click the pencil icon to change the section styles.
To add and edit images in gallery sections, click the image icon.
- Use the image editor to edit images.
- Add alt text in the Description field.
- Click to add a clickthrough URL.
- Click the pencil icon to change the section layout and styles.
- Gallery sections don't currently support videos or captions.
Blog, Events, Portfolio, and Store Pages are called collection pages. Each one you add to your site has a collection section that displays the page's items. To add a collection page:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click the + and choose Blog, Events, Portfolio, or Store.
You can add more sections above or below the collection section, or click the pencil icon to change the collection section's layout and styles. To style blog posts and product items, go to the Design panel and click Blog Posts or Product Items.
To add collection items, click the links below. Most of these steps are written for version 7.0, but they apply to version 7.1 as well:
For example, to create a Blog Page, you'd:
- Add a new page, click Blog, and choose a layout.
- Go to the Blog Page and click + to add new posts.
- Click Edit in the top-left corner to add new sections to the blog landing page.
- Click the collection section and click the pencil icon to change the styles or layout.
- Click Blog Posts in the Design panel to style your posts.
Like pages, you'll add content to your footer with sections. Hover over the footer and click Edit Footer to add and edit its sections.
Change section styles
There are two ways to style sections:
- To style individual sections, edit the page, click the section, then click the pencil icon.
- To change your site-wide styles, go to the Home Menu and click Design.
For more help, visit Version 7.1 style and design options.
Move content between sections
To move content:
- Block sections - Drag blocks to move them from one block section to another within the same page.
- Collection sections - Move blog, event, and product items from one collection to another of the same type. It's not currently possible to move Portfolio sub-pages.
- Gallery sections - Reuse a gallery image to add it to different gallery section.