Deleting your account removes data and content linked to your account from our systems. You can delete your account through your account dashboard after canceling all your active subscriptions.
Before you delete your account, follow this guide to:
- Understand what happens when you delete your account.
- Ensure it's what you really want to do.
- Take a few steps to prepare. For example, you'll need to cancel your subscriptions.
- Learn how to delete your account.
What happens when your account is deleted
Deleting your account terminates your relationship with Squarespace. Here’s what that means:
- We'll delete your account and any content and personal data linked to your account from our systems.
- After your account is deleted, your account and any sites, site content, and subscriptions owned by your account won't be recoverable.
- Sites or other subscriptions where your account is a contributor won’t be affected.
- If your Squarespace account is connected to your use of Unfold, deleting your account will delete your Unfold data.
Tip: Consider alternatives that won’t delete your account:
Please note that to the extent necessary and permitted under applicable law, certain data may be retained to comply with legal or financial obligations, protect our and others’ rights, resolve disputes, or enforce our legal terms or policies.
What happens to a deleted contributor’s blog posts
If a contributor deletes their account, it won't affect sites they contribute to, only sites they own. If they created any blog posts, those posts won’t be deleted. Instead, the contributor will convert to a basic author. That basic author will become the author of all of those posts.
At that point, the site owner can decide to remove the basic author, which will delete that basic author from our systems. When removing the basic author, the owner must select a new author in its place.
Prepare to delete your account
There are a few steps you should take before you delete your account.
Step 1 - Export content from active sites (optional)
While not required, if you still have active, paid websites, you can export your content. Because the export file won’t have everything on your site, you might want to copy or download all text and images separately.
Step 2 - Download invoices (optional)
While not required, it might be helpful to keep copies of invoices for every payment you’ve made to Squarespace. To learn how to download and print your invoices, visit Reviewing your Squarespace account invoices.
Step 3 - Cancel other subscriptions (required)
If you're planning to delete any sites where you're the owner, you'll need to cancel all add-on subscriptions first:
- Email Campaigns
- Google Workspace - This action transfers the account to Google. At that point, you can reactivate or cancel Google Workspace through them.
- Member Areas
Step 4 - Transfer or cancel Squarespace domains (required)
If you're planning to delete any sites where you're the owner, you'll need to cancel or transfer any associated Squarespace domains first:
If you want to...
Follow these steps
Use a different provider to host your website
Keep your domain parked with another provider without an active website
Lose ownership of your domain
Choose from these options:
To learn more about these options, visit What to do with your domain if you cancel your website.
Step 5 - Take action with your website subscriptions (required)
If you’re the owner of any websites, choose from these options:
If you want to...
Follow these steps
Remove active websites with paid subscriptions
Remove active trial sites
Keep sites active after you leave Squarespace
Step 6 - Remove card information from subscriptions you pay for (optional)
In Squarespace, credit card information is connected to individual subscriptions, such as websites, domains, or Scheduling, not your Squarespace account. If you are the owner of an active site or other subscription where your card is used for payment, your card will remain on file for the subscription after you delete your account, and it may be charged again if the subscription auto-renews.
To prevent further charges on your card, ensure you disable auto-renew on any active subscriptions. Alternatively, contact us if you'd like us to remove the card from our systems.
Step 7 - Tell the site owner (optional)
If you’re a contributor to a site that you don’t own but that will stay active, consider telling the site owner that you'll be deleting your account, as your name on any content you've authored, such as blog posts, will be converted to a basic author.
Step 8 - Take action with your Unfold account (optional)
If you connected your Squarespace account to Unfold, deleting your account deletes all Unfold data and content linked to your Squarespace account. To learn how to prepare your Unfold data for deletion, visit Deleting your Unfold data. Keep in mind:
- If you have Unfold Pro, export your Brand Kit. You can share an exported Brand Kit with other Unfold users, or import it later to a future Unfold Pro subscription.
- Cancel your Unfold subscription through the Apple or Google app store to avoid any future charges for this product.
Delete your account through your account dashboard
After preparation, follow these steps to delete your account:
- Open the account and security settings in your account dashboard.
- Click Delete account, then log in to confirm.
- If you still have any active subscriptions, they'll be listed below your account information. You can cancel trial sites directly from this panel, but for any other subscriptions, you'll need to click the icon beside the name of the subscription. This will open the billing panel to complete the cancellation process.
- Return to your account and security settings. If you’re still seeing subscriptions you know you deleted, click the Refresh button above the subscriptions list.
- After there are no more active subscriptions, click Delete account, then click Confirm.
After deleting your account
It's not possible to recover your deleted account. You can create a new account with your deleted account's email address, but it will be a brand new account.