Squarespace Commerce is a set of features for selling products and managing orders online. By connecting a payment processor, you can process credit card transactions, accept PayPal, issue refunds, and receive donations. With templates designed specifically for online commerce, you can create eye-catching arrangements of products, promote sales, and much more. For every sale you make, Squarespace collects a transaction fee, which varies by plan.
Commerce and payment processors are Premium features available in Business and Commerce plans.
Start a trial
We offer a 14-day free trial so you can try most Commerce features before subscribing. If you haven't already, start a trial. From there, you can start building your store.
Create your store
Follow this checklist to create your store. Click the links for detailed steps:
- Add a Store Page.
- Add products individually, or import them from a .csv file or a different eCommerce platform. You can sell gift cards, and physical, digital, and service products as a single purchase or recurring subscription.
- Create rules for shipping and taxes.
- Connect a payment processor (Stripe, PayPal, or both).
- Run a test order.
- Take your store live.
- Fulfill orders.
After your store is live, explore the sections below to learn more about customizing, marketing, and measuring the success of your online store.
Style your Store Page
Customize your Store Page to match your brand. You can change fonts and colors, and enable special features like hover effects, quick view, and more.
Customize your store’s checkout experience in Checkout Settings:
- Add a custom checkout form to collect more information from customers.
- Add a newsletter subscribe option.
- Change the continue shopping link.
- Change the shopping cart style.
- Enable Express Checkout.
- Set a minimum order amount.
Customize customer email notifications
Your customers receive automated transactional emails confirming their purchase or refund, and alerting them if there's an issue processing their payment. Customize these emails in the Customer Notifications panel.
Market your products
Use Squarespace's marketing tools to draw customers in and encourage purchasing.
- Create discounts or offer sale prices, and promote deals with an announcement bar.
- Connect your site to social media platforms like Facebook and Pinterest.
- Go through our SEO checklist to optimize your site for search engines.
- If you're on the Commerce Advanced plan, you can use Abandoned Checkout Recovery to follow up with customers who didn't complete checkout.
- Use product merchandising tools like Related Products and Limited Availability Labels.
- View and manage customers in the Profiles panel.
Use Squarespace Analytics to get a clear picture of visitor behavior and revenue. Advanced Commerce Analytics, like Sales by product and Purchase funnel analytics, are available for the Commerce Basic and Advanced plans.
Sell in person with Point of Sale
If you sell products at markets or craft fairs, use our integration with Square to take in-person cash or card payments that integrate with your online store. Using the Squarespace Commerce App with a supported Square Reader, sales you make in person will update your online store’s inventory, display in the Orders panel, and factor into your Sales Analytics. To learn more, visit Selling in person with Squarespace Point of Sale.
Enhance your store
You can save time and streamline key tasks by connecting extensions to your store. For example, you can use print-on-demand or automatically sync your stock levels by connecting an inventory and products extension. To find more extensions, visit Squarespace Extensions.
Extensions fall outside the scope of our support and we can’t guarantee their functionality. For help with these third-party services, contact them directly.
In addition to our guides, we offer other resources to help you make the most of Squarespace Commerce:
- Get to know the Commerce platform by watching our Introducing Commerce Video Series.
- Attend a one-hour Launching Your Online Store webinar to learn more about building an inventory, accepting online payments, and managing orders.
- Visit our Commerce FAQ for common questions.
- Get advice from the community in the Squarespace Forum.
- Hire a Squarespace Expert to help build your online store.