Use Events Pages to add a calendar or list of events to your site. This is a great way to feature concerts, meetings, book tours, or any event you host.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- For the best visual display, add excerpts and thumbnail images to every event.
- Events must have an end time. End times can't be hidden or omitted.
- If an event is set to end at midnight, the Calendar view will display the event on both days. To only display the first day, adjust the end time to 11:59 pm.
- Depending on your settings, Events Pages can display past events.
- Recurring or repeating events aren't supported at this time. You can duplicate events to create identical events without reentering the same information.
- Events Pages don’t support appointment, event, or class booking. We recommend using Appointment Scheduling Blocks to add booking to your site.
- Events Pages display event information like excerpts and thumbnail images, but don't support other content blocks. To display events beside other types of content, add Calendar Blocks to Layout Pages.
- Some details may not appear in Calendar view on mobile devices, depending on the size of the browser.
- Calendar view displays each week in a Sunday to Saturday format. It's not possible to change this.
- Each Events Page supports up to 350 events per month.
Events Page layout
You can display events as a list or a calendar. To learn more, visit Styling the Events Page.
Note: List view displays up to 250 upcoming and 30 past events.
When a visitor clicks an event, the event will appear on its own page with the full description. You can enable Share buttons and export links to Google Calendar or iCal in the Site Styles panel.
Events Pages vs. Calendar Blocks
Events Pages and Calendar Blocks can both display upcoming events on your site, but each one works a little differently.
Events Pages are the main location for all your events. Create and manage all events through your Events Pages, and customize the look using Site Styles.
Calendar Blocks pull information from an Events Page and display it in other areas of your site, like Layout Pages, blog posts, and other content areas. Calendar Blocks can also pull collection items from other page types. Calendar Blocks always display as a calendar, not a list.
Add an Events Page
To add an Events Page:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages, then click the + icon.
- Select Events from the pages menu.
- Enter a page title. You can change this later.
To learn more, visit Adding pages to your navigation.
Choose a view
By default, Events Pages display your events in List view. List view is a great option if you want your Events Page to look more like a blog than a calendar.
To display your events in Calendar view, select Calendar from the Default Event View drop-down menu in Page Settings. To learn more, visit Styling the Events Page.
Tip: On Calendar view, URL slugs include a date. This requires visitors to click the back arrow twice to return to the previous page. To avoid this, choose List view or display events using Calendar Blocks.
Add an event
In the Events Page panel, click the + icon to add a new event.
In the Content tab of the event editor, you can add the following:
- Event title.
- Start time and end time (required). Event times are based on the time zone set in Language and Region Settings. The times won't change based on a visitor's time zone.
- Event description. The Description box includes a Text Block to get you started. Add other blocks to create a custom layout for the event.
- Tags and categories.
Tip: To display your event times in 24-hour international standard time, check 24-Hour Time in Site Styles.
In the Options tab of the event editor, you can add the following:
- Thumbnail image. This represents the event on the Events Page. To upload your own image, click Upload an image, or click Search For Image to search for and add a stock image.
- Excerpt. Excerpts show visitors a short description of the event on the landing page and elsewhere on your site, like in Summary Blocks.
In the Location tab of the event editor, you can add an address for the event. When you start typing an address, the fields populate with a list of autocomplete suggestions powered by Google. This creates a pin on the map at that location.
In the Social tab of the event editor, you can share the event on social media.
Add tags and categories
You can use tags and categories to organize events. While optional, they're a great way to help visitors find events relevant to their interests. Tags and categories display as links in your Events Page. They display differently in each template.
Click Tags or Categories to label your event.
- Tags must be 80 characters or fewer.
- Categories must be 25 characters or fewer.
- Tags and categories are case-sensitive. For example, entering Apples, apples, and APPLES creates three tags or categories.
To learn more, visit Adding tags and categories.
Share the event
If you have connected accounts that allow for pushing content, you can automatically share the event on your social profiles when publishing it.
In the Social tab, switch the Share toggle on for any accounts where you want to share this event.
To learn more, visit Sharing content on social media.
Note: Pushing an event to Facebook doesn't create a Facebook event. Instead, it displays a link to the event on your site with a thumbnail image and description.
Note: Use Summary Blocks or Calendar Blocks to display events on other pages of your site. When viewing an event, clicking Back to All Events will bring visitors back to your Events Page, not the page containing the Calendar or Summary Block.
Publish or change event visibility
After creating an event, you can save it as a draft, or make it live immediately.
- Click Save to save your event as a draft that's hidden from your live site.
- Click Save & Publish to save the event and make it visible on your live site.
You can also choose from four visibility options:
- Needs Review
Scheduled, Needs Review, and Draft can be helpful if you want to upload content to your site but don’t want to make it immediately visible. You can keep an event unpublished for other site contributors to review before it’s public or when you’re testing your page’s style.
To change any event's status, hover over the event thumbnail in the Events Page panel and then click Edit. From the editor, click the current status and select a new one.
If you’re leaving the event unpublished (Scheduled, Needs Review, or Draft), you’ll see a status banner over the event thumbnail in the page panel. After it’s Published, you’ll see the thumbnail without a banner and the content appear live on your Events Page.
Showing or hiding past events
Showing past events is a great way to promote what you've offered previously, along with your upcoming events.
- In List view, up to 30 past events can appear when Show Past Events is enabled. Past events display with the date crossed out.
- In Calendar view, past events always appear. Past events display in the same style as upcoming events.
To show or hide past events when in List view:
- Open an Events Page and ensure it's set to List view.
- In the Home Menu, click Design, then click Site Styles.
- Under Events, check or uncheck Show Past Events to display or hide all past events.
- Click Save to apply your changes.
Note: The discontinued Marquee family can't show past events.
Style Events Pages
Customize the look of Events Pages by choosing what information to display or hide, setting thumbnail sizes, and more. To learn more, visit Styling the Events Page.
You can manage your events in the Events Page panel.
Events are organized by Upcoming and Past. To edit or delete an event, hover over the post title, then click Edit or Delete.
Can I export events to an external calendar?
Yes. To add Google Calendar and iCloud Calendar links to events, open an individual event, then open the Site Styles panel and check Show Export Links.
Can I enable comments for events?
Events Pages don't include built-in comments. You can embed a third-party commenting service, like Disqus, using the Code Block. Note that we’re unable to offer troubleshooting support for advanced modifications like custom code.
Do thumbnail images display on mobile devices?
Most mobile devices will display your thumbnail images when your Events Page is set to List view.
When your Events Page is set to Calendar view, most mobile devices won’t display thumbnail images, especially in portrait mode. Some larger mobile devices will show your thumbnail images in landscape mode.