Purchase a website subscription in the Billing panel to launch your site.
You can upgrade your free trial to a paid website subscription during your trial or after it expires. In this guide, you’ll learn how to upgrade in the Billing panel and what to expect next.
By upgrading to a paid subscription, you’ll have access to more features and integrations like the ability to license images from Getty Images and purchase custom email from Google Workspace.
Tip: If your site is already live but you want to gain access to premium features, upgrade to Website Business Plan or higher by changing your billing plan.
Before you begin
- Double-check your URL to ensure you're logged into the correct site.
- You can use our site launch checklist to ensure your site is ready to publish.
- Site owners and contributors with Billing permissions can upgrade from a trial to a paid subscription. Usually, the site owner is the person who created your site. If a different person needs to upgrade, transfer site ownership or invite them as a contributor with Billing permissions.
- When you upgrade, you'll see options for Website and Commerce plans. To learn more, visit Choosing the right Squarespace plan.
- You can also upgrade to a Mobile Start plan in the iOS Squarespace app.
- After upgrading, you can switch billing plans at any time.
For our current pricing and billing plans, visit our Pricing page.
Plans may be subject to state and local sales taxes. If your plan is subject to tax, you’ll see it added at checkout. To learn more, visit our guides on taxes in the United States, United Kingdom, European Union, or Australia.
Accepted payment methods
You can use these accepted currencies for Squarespace billing. The currency you select for your first payment will be used for all payments and subscription renewals connected to the website.
It isn’t possible to change your site's currency after your first payment.
Step 1 - Check your site
Before making changes, ensure that you’re viewing the site you want to upgrade. This step is important if you have multiple Squarespace sites (including trial sites) under one account.
To check your site, go to the Home menu, scroll down, and click your profile picture or initials. This opens a menu of all Squarespace sites connected to your account, including active, trial, and expired sites.
Sites with an active trial display an Upgrade button. Choose the correct site from the menu.
Step 2 - Click to upgrade
Click Subscribe in the banner at the bottom of the browser window.
Step 3 - Select a plan
After clicking the button to upgrade, you'll see the available plans, along with pricing and features. Choose a plan that meets your needs.
- To continue using premium features, upgrade to the Website Business plan or higher.
- For current plans and pricing, visit our Pricing page.
Note: If you created your trial site before December 1, 2017, and your site has more than 20 active pages, you might need to disable pages to choose certain plans. To learn more, visit Legacy Personal plan limits.
Step 4 - Choose a billing term
After selecting a plan, choose a billing cycle. We offer two options: Annual or Monthly.
- Annual - Pay in advance for a year of service. Your credit card is automatically billed on the same day each following year. This option comes with a free eligible domain for the first year of service.
- Monthly - Pay in advance for your first month. Your credit card is automatically billed for service on the same day each following month.
Step 5 - Enter billing information and subscribe
Enter payment details
In the next window, enter your payment information:
- Cardholder name, credit card number, expiration date, CVC - Your full name and last four digits of your card appear on your invoices. To have a company name appear on your billing invoices, enter it in the Full name field.
- Billing address - All fields are required.
- Optional: Business name and registration number - If you’re tax exempt, check the box and enter your business name and registration number. This number depends on the country where your business is located. For example, you may have a registration number if you pay value-added tax, (VAT), taxes in Canada, or goods and services tax (GST).
- Optional: SEPA direct debit - If you choose Euros as your currency, you may be eligible to pay using SEPA direct debit. You'll enter your account holder name and IBAN. To learn more, visit Purchasing subscriptions using SEPA.
Click Save and continue.
Review payment details
- The amount next to Due today displays the total amount that will be charged to your payment method today.
- Your next payment date appears in the text below the payment details. We recommend reviewing this before subscribing.
- If you have an offer code, enter it in the Promo code field, then click Apply.
- All sites are set to auto-renew to ensure continuous service. You can disable auto-renew at any time after upgrading.
Ensure the plan, payment details, and amount are correct, then click Confirm and purchase to subscribe. If your bank is located in the European Economic Area (EEA), you may need to authorize the purchase.
Congratulations—your Squarespace site is now upgraded! Here are some things to know now that you have a paid site:
Check your Site Availability
- Your site may be private, password-protected, or public after you upgrade to paid service, depending on your settings and when you upgraded. Learn how to make it public.
- After your site is public, search engines can index your site. You can increase your site’s visibility by using Squarespace’s built-in SEO tools.
- If you set up an online store and you’ve connected a payment processor, customers can place orders after your site is public.
Purchase add-on subscriptions
You can further customize your Squarespace site with other subscription products and features:
- Domains - Register a custom domain through Squarespace. If you chose an annual billing cycle for your site, you’re eligible for a free domain for the first year of service.
- Google Workspace - Purchase a custom email address for your domain using our integration with Google Workspace.
- Member Areas - Subscribe to Member Areas and create sets of gated content on your site that visitors can only access by creating an account and paying a membership fee.
- Email Campaigns - Send beautiful emails that match your site’s style and branding with Squarespace Email Campaigns. All sites start with a free Email Campaigns trial.
- Squarespace Scheduling - Let your clients book appointments or classes directly from your website with Squarespace Scheduling.
- Getty Images - Use our integration with Getty Images to license stock images for your site.
All Squarespace subscriptions are independent from each other and available at an additional cost. This means each add-on subscription has its own price, plan, billing cycle, and invoices. Changing or canceling one service won’t automatically affect your other subscriptions.
Review your billing information
- Visit the Billing panel to view invoices, update your billing information, or switch to a new plan.
- To learn more about Squarespace billing, visit Billing basics.
Premium features and the Personal plan
If you used premium features on your trial site, we recommend choosing the Website Business plan or higher so you can continue using them.
If you used premium features in the trial and choose the Personal plan, premium features will no longer be available on your site. To enable premium features in the future, you can upgrade your plan at any time.
I upgraded the wrong site
It's not possible to transfer a subscription from one site to another. If you think you upgraded the wrong site by mistake, cancel the site and upgrade the correct one:
- Review your sites in your account dashboard and find the one you want to upgrade, confirming it's still a trial.
- Log into the incorrectly upgraded site and cancel it.
- Log into the trial site you want to upgrade and click Subscribe.
Tip: Depending on your billing plan and how long the incorrect site was active, you may not be eligible for an automatic refund. To learn more, review our refund policies.