You can upgrade your free trial to a paid subscription during your trial or after it expires. In this guide, you’ll learn how to upgrade in the Billing panel and what to expect next.
By upgrading to a paid subscription, you’ll have access to more features and integrations like the ability to license images from Getty Images and purchase custom email from G Suite by Google.
Tip: If your site is already live but you want to gain access to Premium features, upgrade to Website Business Plan or higher by changing your billing plan.
Upgrading vs. making your site live
Upgrading to paid service creates a live site, so there's no "Publish" button to take it online. If you're not ready to launch and want to continue building, you can use any of these methods to keep your site private after you upgrade:
- Create an Under Construction page
- Set a site-wide or page password (Tip: Create a custom lock screen for a personalized look)
- Hide in-progress pages from navigation menus using the Not Linked section
- Hide pages from search engines
For our current pricing and billing plans, visit our Pricing page.
Accepted payment methods
Before you begin
- Site owners and contributors with Billing permissions can upgrade from a trial to a paid subscription. In most cases, the site owner is the person who created your site. If a different person needs to upgrade, transfer site ownership or invite them as a contributor with Billing permissions.
- When you upgrade, you'll see options for Website and Commerce plans. To learn more, visit Choosing the right Squarespace plan.
- After upgrading, you can switch billing plans at any time.
Step 1 - Check your site
Before making changes, ensure that you’re viewing the site you want to upgrade. This step is important if you have multiple Squarespace sites (including trial sites) under one account.
To check your site, click your avatar at the bottom of the Home Menu. This opens a menu of all Squarespace sites connected to your account, including active, trial, and expired sites.
Select the correct site from the menu.
Step 2 - Click to upgrade
Click Upgrade Now in the banner at the bottom of the browser window.
Step 3 - Select a plan
After clicking the button to upgrade, you'll see the available plans, along with pricing and features. Select a plan that meets your needs.
- To continue using Premium features, upgrade to the Website Business plan or higher.
- For current plans and pricing, visit our Pricing page.
Note: If you created your trial site before December 1, 2017, and your site has more than 20 active pages, you'll might need to disable pages to select to certain plans. To learn more, visit Legacy Personal plan limits.
Step 4 - Select a billing term
After selecting a plan, select a billing cycle. We offer two options: Annual or Monthly.
- Annual - Pay in advance for a year of service. Your credit card is automatically billed on the same day each following year. This option comes with a free eligible domain for the first year of service.
- Monthly - Pay in advance for your first month. Your credit card is automatically billed for service on the same day each following month.
Step 5 - Enter billing information and subscribe
Enter payment details
In the next window, enter your credit card information.
- Cardholder name, number, expiration - The cardholder name and last four digits of your card will appear on your invoices.
Tip: To have a company name appear on your billing invoices, enter it as the cardholder name.
- Country and Postal Code
- Offer code - If you have an offer code, click Enter an offer code below the credit card fields before clicking Subscribe.
Note: If you selected an EU country, you can enter a Business Name and VAT Registration Number for VAT exemption.
Review today's payment and next bill date
- The amount next to Due Today displays the total amount that will be charged to your payment method today.
- All sites are set to auto-renew to ensure continuous service. You can disable auto-renew at any time after upgrading.
- Your next payment date appears below Due Today. We recommend reviewing this before subscribing.
Review all information, click Subscribe, and then confirm your upgrade to complete your purchase.
Congratulations—your Squarespace site is now upgraded! Here are some things to know now that your site is published:
Your site is public
- Your site is public by default when you upgrade to paid service.
- Search engines can now index your site. You can increase your site’s visibility by using Squarespace’s built-in SEO tools.
- If you’re not ready to share your site, you can make it private. To prevent search engines from indexing your entire site or specific pages, set a site-wide password or passwords for individual pages.
- If you set up an online store and you’ve connected to Stripe, customers can now place orders.
Get more subscriptions
- If you selected an annual billing cycle, you're eligible for a free domain for the first year of service.
- Use our integration with Getty Images to license stock images for your site.
- Purchase a custom email address for your domain using our integration with G Suite.
Review your billing information
- Visit the Billing panel to view invoices, update your billing information, or switch to a new plan.
- To learn more about your Squarespace account, visit Understanding Squarespace billing and accounts.
Premium features and the Personal plan
If you used Premium features on your trial site, we recommend choosing the Website Business plan or higher so you can continue using them.
If you used Premium features in the trial and choose the Personal plan, Premium features will no longer be available on your site.
If you think you upgraded the wrong site by mistake, visit I upgraded the wrong site to fix the problem.