By adding pages to navigation sections, you create a menu of links visitors use to explore your content. This guide walks you through adding pages to navigation sections and the types of pages you can add.
Tip: For an overview of the Pages panel and navigation sections, visit Understanding the Pages panel.
Watch a video
Add a new page
To add a new page to your navigation:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click the + icon next to the section where you want to add a new page. To add it to an Index or folder, click Add page under the Index or folder. Where you add your page in the Pages panel affects where it appears on your site. To learn more about each navigation section, visit Understanding the Pages panel.
- In the Create New Page menu, select the type of page you want to add.
- Enter a page title in the text box and press Enter.
Currently, the Squarespace App only supports adding Layout Pages. Use a desktop or laptop browser to add other page types.
- Tap the Pages icon.
- Tap Add at the bottom of the navigation section where you want the Layout Page to appear.
Move pages to other navigation sections
Visit Moving pages around your navigation to learn how to:
- Reorder navigation menus
- Move pages between navigation sections
- Remove pages from navigation sections
About page types
The new page menu is divided into three categories. Exact page options vary by template:
When you add a Layout Page, you can choose between a blank page, where you create the layout from scratch, or a starter layout designed for certain uses like Contact pages and About pages. Starter layouts have placeholder blocks to help you get started and are completely customizable.
Collection pages are home to sets of content items: gallery images, products, blog posts, events, or album tracks. There are six collection pages:
With the exception of Album Pages, collection pages have a two-level structure. Visitors can view a collection page, like a blog page, then click individual collection items, like a blog post, to view an item-specific page.
Collection pages vary between templates, using distinct features and designs to present collection items in exciting ways.
There are three types of organizational pages you can use to structure your other pages or link to external content.
- Index Pages present multiple pages of content in a single location. Pages within the Index appear as a grid of thumbnails, single continuous pages, or other unique designs. Designs vary between templates, and not all templates support Index Pages.
- Folders group multiple pages into a drop-down menu in your navigation.
- Links create navigation links to external content or your own content, sorted by tags or categories.
Cover Pages work differently than the page types covered above. A Cover Page can act as a bold splash page or distinctive single page on any template, incorporating full-bleed images and other special features. Cover Pages have a more fixed design than other pages, helping you concentrate on a simpler message.
Info Pages are special pages, only available in the Aviator family. They function similarly to a Cover Page.
Every template includes demo pages that highlight the template's strengths and possible uses. These example pages have a Demo label to the right of the page title. To learn more about using or removing these pages, visit Working with demo content.
After adding pages, take these next steps to edit their settings, delete pages, or style your navigation:
- Hover over page titles and click to open and edit the Page Settings. Page Settings include URL slugs, SEO descriptions, and other key information. To learn more, visit Page Settings.
- To delete pages, hover over page titles and click the trash can. You can restore deleted pages within 30 days of deleting them. To learn more, visit Deleting a page.
- Change your navigation’s fonts, colors, and other styles.