Important information about paying for and managing your Digital Products plan.
This guide covers Digital Products billing plans and how to manage them directly through your Squarespace account. We charge the same card you use to pay for your website billing plan.
Note: This guide is about how you pay for a Digital Products billing plan. For information on how your visitors pay to access the Digital Products you create, visit Paywalls and pricing plans.
Before you begin
- You need a Squarespace website to create Digital Products on your site. If you haven't built your site yet, visit Getting started with your Squarespace website. If you're building your site on a free trial, you can try out Digital Products for free, but your visitors can't purchase pricing plans. To enable visitors to sign up for Digital Products, upgrade to a paid plan.
- Only site owners and contributors with Admin permissions can purchase a Digital Products billing plan for a site.
Digital Product plans and pricing
You can sell digital products, such as courses and member sites, on any website plan above Personal. Add a Digital Products plan to lower your transaction fees and increase your video storage limit. You can also add a Digital Products plan to enable selling on a Personal plan.
You can add a Digital Product plan to these website plans:
- Commerce Basic
- Commerce Advanced
To review current pricing by billing:
- Open the Selling panel of your site.
- Click Products, then select the Digital Products tab.
- Click Upgrade for a list of all of your pricing plans.
Alternatively, you can check the pricing page.
Review the differences in features between Digital Products billing plans in the table below. Keep in mind, there are no limits to the number of Digital Products you can offer on your site.
|No Digital Products plan
|Digital Products transaction fees
|Additional video storage limit
Every site, regardless of plan, comes with 30 minutes of total video storage for files uploaded directly to video blocks, course pages, videos pages, and section backgrounds. The tables above show the extra storage each Digital Products plan includes.
- Start the process of adding a video to a video block, section background, or videos page.
- When selecting where to add a video from, click Select from library, then locate the Video storage progress bar in the top-right corner of the window.
- Click Close.
Selecting the right Digital Products plan
All Digital Products plans are available in annual or monthly billing cycles and you can change your plan at any time. On an annual billing cycle, the average monthly cost is lower.
Digital Products transaction fees apply to every pricing plan sold through your site. If you expect to sell many pricing plans, we recommend the Core, and Pro plans for their lower transaction fee percentages.
For example, let’s say the difference between a Pro and Starter plan billed annually is $110 USD per year. If you’re on an annual Starter plan and sell more than $1,600 in memberships per year ($134 per month), you’ll pay more in transaction fees than the difference between the plans. In that case, you’ll save by upgrading to the Core pricing plan.
Regardless of your pricing plan, there’s no limit to the number of visitors who can purchase access to your Digital Products.
Purchase a Digital Products plan
If you’re subscribed to a personal plan or to lower your transaction fees, you can purchase a Digital Products plan. You can also purchase a plan to increase your video storage.
Follow the steps below to purchase a Digital Products plan:
- Open the Selling panel.
- Click Products, then select the Digital Products tab.
- Click Select plan at the bottom of the Digital Products panel.
- If your site is on a free trial, you'll choose a website plan first. Choose either a Monthly or Annual billing cycle, then select the website plan you want for your site. If you have an offer code, you can enter it during this step.
- In the Digital Products plan panel, click either a Monthly or Annual billing cycle.
- Select the Digital Products plan that fits your needs.
- If prompted, enter your payment information, then click Save and continue.
- Click Confirm and purchase.
For details and next steps to consider when purchasing a billing plan, visit Upgrading to paid service.
Note: If you subscribe to a Commerce plan and already use PayPal as a payment processor, a warning message may appear at checkout regarding PayPal. If this message appears, reset your PayPal connection to continue offering PayPal at checkout.
Subscribing when your site is on a free trial
To purchase a Digital Products plan, you need to upgrade your trial site to paid. When you click to select a Digital Products plan, we'll ask you to select a website plan first. You'll proceed through the checkout process as described above.
We'll issue two different charges for these subscriptions. One charge is for your website plan and the other is for your Digital Products plan. Here's what happens if one of these charges fails:
- If the website plan charge fails, our system cancels the Digital Products charge.
- If the Digital Products charge fails, your website still upgrades to paid.
In either situation, you can restart the subscription process in the Digital Products panel.
View and manage your Digital Products plan
After you purchase the plan, view and manage your Digital Products plan from the Billing panel:
- Open the Billing panel.
- Under Subscriptions, click Digital Products.
From here, you can:
- Review your Digital Products plan details, including your plan, billing cycle, and the next auto-renew date.
- Review your invoices for individual Digital Products plan charges.
- Disable auto-renew. By switching the Renew automatically toggle off, your plan will expire when your billing cycle ends.
- Cancel your plan immediately.
For detailed steps and important information about disabling auto-renew or canceling your plan, visit Canceling your Digital Products plan.
Change your billing plan
You can change your Digital Products billing plan at any time. For detailed steps and important information, visit Changing your Digital Products billing plan.
If we can’t authorize the renewal charge, your Digital Products plan will be past due. We’ll try to charge the payment method on file over the next 15 days. You can update your payment method at any time during this grace period to manually prompt a charge.
If we still can’t charge your payment method after 15 days, your Digital Product plan will expire. If your website plan is still active, your transaction fees will increase to 9% and your video storage limit for newly uploaded videos will decrease to 30 minutes.
As long as your website plan remains active, you can resubscribe to Digital Products to lower your transaction fees and increase your video storage limit.