This guide covers billing plans for Member Areas and important details about managing your subscription. You’ll manage billing for Member Areas directly through your Squarespace account. We charge the same card you use to pay for your site.
Before you begin
- You need an active Squarespace website subscription to purchase Member Areas and allow members to sign up for member areas. If you haven't built your site yet, visit Getting started.
- Only site owners and contributors with Admin or Billing permissions can purchase a Member Areas subscription for a site.
- Customer Accounts, Checkout on Your Domain, and other Commerce features are automatically included with Member Areas plans.
Member Areas is available on all Squarespace plans at an additional cost. For current pricing by billing plan, visit our Member Areas page.
This table reviews the differences between Member Areas plans. You can change your billing plan at any time.
|Number of member areas||1||3||10|
Selecting the right Member Areas plan
Selecting the right plan ensures you have the right number of member areas to organize your gated content. The Starter plan is ideal for creators with a single audience, while the Core and Pro plans allow for unique collections of members-only pages. All plans are available in annual or monthly billing cycles and you can change your plan at any time. On an annual billing cycle, the average monthly cost is lower.
Member Areas transaction fees apply to every membership sold through your site. If you expect to sell a large number of memberships, we recommend the Core and Pro plans for their lower transaction fee percentages. For example, the difference between a Core and Starter plan billed annually is $108 USD per year. If you’re on an annual Starter plan and sell more than $3,600 in memberships per year ($300 per month), you’ll pay more in transaction fees than the difference between the plans. In that case, you’ll save by upgrading to the Core pricing plan.
Regardless of your pricing plan, there’s no limit to the number of members who can purchase access to your member areas.
Subscribe to Member Areas
You can create member areas and add pages to them without an active Member Areas subscription. Only after you’ve subscribed, however, can visitors to your site sign up and purchase memberships to your gated pages. You must have an active website subscription to sign up for Member Areas.
To subscribe to Member Areas:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Member Areas.
- Click Select Plan at the bottom of the Member Areas panel.
- Click the Monthly or Annual billing cycle.
- Select the Member Areas plan that fits your needs.
- Click Confirm Payment.
Note: If you subscribe to a Commerce plan and already use PayPal as a payment processor, you may see a warning message at checkout regarding PayPal. If you see this message, reset your PayPal connection to continue offering PayPal at checkout.
View and manage your subscription
After you subscribe, view and manage your subscription from the Billing panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Billing & Account.
- Click Billing, then click Member Areas.
From here, you can:
- Review your Member Areas subscription details, including your plan, billing cycle, and the next auto-renewal date.
- Review your invoices for individual Member Areas subscription charges.
- Disable auto-renew. By unchecking Auto-renew, your subscription will expire when your billing cycle ends.
- Cancel your subscription immediately.
Change your billing plan
You can change your Member Areas billing plan at any time. For detailed steps and important information, visit Changing your Member Areas billing plan.
If we can’t authorize the renewal charge, your subscription will become past due. We’ll try to charge the credit card on file over the next 15 days. You can update your card at any time during this grace period to manually prompt a charge.
If we still can’t charge your card after 15 days, your Member Areas subscription will expire. As long as your website subscription remains active, you can resubscribe to Member Areas at any time, but all members will have to resubscribe individually.