In Squarespace version 7.1, you'll build your site's pages and footers with customizable sections stacked vertically. You can add, delete, and move sections to arrange your content. In this guide, you'll learn about what you can do with page sections and how to use them to create unique page layouts.
For help creating a new page to add sections to, visit Adding pages to your navigation.
Tip: For a similar effect in version 7.0, use a stacked Index.
Watch a video
Add and edit sections
When you add a new page, it starts with at least one pre-built section, unless it's a blank page. To get started editing sections, go to the page, then click Edit in the top-left of the page preview.
Hover over a section to see its options:
- To add a section, click +.
- To move a section, click ↑ or ↓.
- To style a section, click the pencil icon.
- To delete a section, click the trash can icon. After saving, sections can't be restored. Collection page sections can't be deleted.
- Click Save to publish your changes. Changes don't auto-save.
There's no limit to the number of sections you can add, but we recommend adding no more than 20 sections to a single page, as pages with lots of content take longer to load. To learn more, visit My site is loading slowly.
Add content to sections
How you add and style content depends on the section. There are three types:
- Block sections - Customize a layout with blocks.
- Gallery sections - Add galleries of images and choose their layouts.
- Collection page sections - Display collection items. For example, Blog Pages have a collection section that displays blog posts.
You can add block and gallery sections to any page. Collection page sections are unique to their pages.
Blocks are features you can use to add content to your site, like text, images, buttons, and forms. All sections are block sections, except gallery and collection page sections.
To add and style content in block sections:
- Add or move blocks to customize the layout.
- To add content to a block, double-click it.
- To delete a block, hover over it and click the trash can icon. After saving, blocks can't be restored.
- To change the section styles, click the pencil icon.
Use gallery sections to display images in striking layouts. To learn more, visit Gallery sections in version 7.1.
Collection page sections
Use collection pages to display a collection of items, like blog posts or events. Blog, Events, Portfolio, and Store Pages are all collection pages. To learn more, visit Collection page sections in version 7.1.
Create your footer using sections. Hover over the footer, and click Edit Footer to add and edit its sections.
Change section styles
You can edit the fonts, colors, and layouts of your sections. There are two ways to style sections:
- To change your global styles site-wide, go to the Home Menu and click Design.
- To style individual sections, edit the page, hover over the section, then click the pencil icon. These changes override style settings in your Design panel.
For more help, visit Version 7.1 style and design options.
Move content between sections
To move content:
- Block sections - Drag blocks to move them from one block section to another within the same page.
- Collection sections - Move blog posts, events, and products from one collection to another of the same type. It's not currently possible to move Portfolio sub-pages.
- Gallery sections - Reuse a gallery image to add it to different gallery section.