Create subscription products to sell goods or services on a recurring basis. Subscription products are great for bringing in recurring, predictable revenue when selling:
- Packaged food and beverages customers order regularly
- Subscription boxes for cosmetics, and other health and beauty items
- Ongoing services, memberships, and maintenance packages
Subscribers save their checkout details and are charged automatically when their subscription renews. Once you receive the order, you’ll fulfill it, and repeat that process for each renewal. Customers can cancel their subscriptions at any time, and you can view and manage subscriptions from the Customers panel.
Tip: If you’re new to Squarespace Commerce, visit Understanding Squarespace Commerce for more information about setting up your store.
Subscription products are only available on the Commerce Advanced Plan.
To offer subscriptions, you must:
- Be on the Commerce Advanced plan.
- Enable Customer Accounts.
- Sell physical or service products. It isn’t possible to make digital products or donations a subscription.
- Use Stripe as your payment processor. It isn’t possible to sell subscription products using PayPal.
Create a subscription product
You can make any physical or service product a subscription.
- In the Home Menu, click Pages, and then click a Products Page.
- Click + to add a new product, or double-click an existing product to edit it.
- In the product editor, check Subscription product.
- In the window that appears, use the drop-down menus to set the subscription frequency. Subscriptions can renew as often as once every week, and as infrequently as once every twelve months based on the purchase date.
- To limit the number of renewals, click the Billing Cycles drop-down menu and select the number of payments subscribers will make. This number includes the initial purchase. Select Ongoing payments if the subscription will renew indefinitely.
For example, if you want to offer a three-month-long subscription that renews every month, select repeats every 1 month and 3 payments.
- Click Save in the subscription settings window.
- Add or edit other product details.
- Click Save.
Fulfill a subscription renewal
When a customer’s subscription renews, you’ll receive a new order notification email with details about the order and the customer’s subscription. The order will display as Pending in the Orders panel. To learn how to fulfill the order, add tracking information, and send the customer an order fulfilled notification, visit Fulfilling orders.
Edit a subscription product
To edit a subscription product’s images, variants, or other details for future subscribers, visit Editing products. Keep in mind:
- Editing a subscription product changes the product for future subscribers. Current subscriptions will continue to place orders for the original product and price. For example, if a customer purchases a subscription product for $10, and you change the price to $15, the customer’s subscription will continue to renew at $10.
- To replace a subscription product or change the subscription frequency, you may want to discontinue the subscription product, and then add a new product to your store.
Tip: If you edit a subscription product, review the order details to ensure you’re fulfilling the correct version.
Manage a customer’s subscription
By default, subscriptions renew indefinitely. You may want to cancel a subscription, cancel a single order, or both.
Tip: Add details about your subscription refund and cancellation terms to your store’s return policy.
Cancel a subscription
If a customer asks to cancel future renewals, they can cancel their subscription from their Customer account. To cancel the subscription for them:
- In the Home Menu click Commerce, and then click Customers.
- Find and click the customer whose subscription you want to cancel.
- Click the Subscriptions tab.
- Click the subscription you want to cancel, scroll down, and click Cancel subscription.
- Click Confirm.
The customer will receive an email notification automatically.
To stop offering a subscription product altogether, discontinue the subscription product.
Cancel an order
This is the best option if you want to refund a single order but continue the subscription for future renewals. To cancel an order, visit Cancelling and refunding orders.
How customers buy subscriptions
Here’s how a subscription product displays in your live store:
When a customer clicks Subscribe, they’re taken directly to checkout, where they review the product and subscription details, and confirm the order. They’ll be prompted to log in or create a new Customer Account.
After the order processes, they’ll receive an Order Confirmed email with their subscription details and information about how to manage their settings.
The credit card they entered at checkout will be saved to their Customer Account, and future renewal orders will be placed automatically.
How customers manage their subscriptions
Customers who buy subscription products can view and manage their subscriptions from their Customer Account. After signing in, they click My account, and then Subscriptions.
All subscriptions are listed in the Subscriptions section. Customers can click a subscription to view its details, including:
- The next order date
- Subscription frequency
- Order history
- Saved billing and shipping information
If the subscription has a limited number of renewals, the panel also displays the number of payments left in the subscription.
To cancel the subscription, they click Cancel Subscription. In the confirmation window, click Cancel Subscription.
To update their payment information, they click Payment Method, and then Update Payment Method.
Note: To change the subscription shipping address, customers must cancel the subscription and re-subscribe using different shipping details.
Via the order email
To manage subscriptions, customers can also click the Manage Subscription link in the order email. This opens a new tab or window where they can sign into their account.
Discontinue a subscription product
Note: Deleting a subscription product doesn’t automatically cancel existing subscriptions to that product.
To discontinue a subscription product entirely:
Step 1 - Delete the product
Step 2 - Contact subscribers
Let customers know you’ll be cancelling their subscriptions. For help contacting your customers, visit Contacting customers.
Step 3 - Cancel active subscriptions
To prevent future renewals, cancel each customer’s active subscription from their customer profile:
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Orders.
- In a separate window or somewhere convenient, make a list of all customers subscribed to the product you’re discontinuing.
- Back in the Commerce panel, click Customers.
- Find a customer on your list, and follow these steps to cancel their subscription.
- Repeat these steps for each subscriber.
- Promote your new subscription products via Squarespace Email Campaigns.
- If you only sell subscriptions, hide the shopping cart icon on your site.
What happens if a customer’s payment fails?
When a customer’s payment fails, you both get an email notification. The customer's email includes a link to update their billing information.
The charge is attempted again after five days, and then for a final time five days after that. If the payment fails for a third time, the order and subscription are cancelled. Customers can update their payment information from their Customer Account.
Can a customer skip a renewal?
No. If a customer wants to skip a renewal, you’ll need to cancel their pending order after it’s placed.
Can a customer pause their subscription?
No. If a customer wants to pause their subscription, they should cancel the subscription, and purchase the subscription product again in the future.
Can I change how often a subscription renews?
To change a subscription renewal frequency only for future subscribers, edit the product.
To change the frequency for all subscribers (current and future), discontinue the subscription product and add a new product to your store with the new renewal frequency.
Can I offer different renewal frequencies for the same product?
No. To offer different renewal frequencies, for example a one month option and a six month option, add two separate subscription products to your store.
Can a customer apply a discount to a subscription product?
No. Discounts can’t be applied to subscriptions at this time.
Can a customer buy a subscription with a gift card?
No. Gift cards can't be applied to subscription products.
Do Commerce API integrations work with subscription products?
Yes, Commerce integrations still work with subscription products.
I use a third-party service to manage subscriptions. How can I switch to Squarespace?
To switch from a third-party service, visit Switching to Squarespace subscriptions from Moonclerk or PayWhirl.