The Brine template family consists of multiple templates that all share the same options for layout and design. The directions in the Brine guides apply to all templates in this family.
This guide offers an overview of the Brine family's features. See our other Brine guides for information about building and customizing specific parts of your site.
Tip: If you haven't picked a template yet, visit Getting started with Squarespace. If you've already created a site, you can switch your template at any time.
With templates in the Brine family, you can create a professional web presence for any brand or company, from a new boutique to an established retail business.
Parallax scrolling Index Page
The vertically-stacked Index Page uses parallax scrolling to create an illusion of depth and immersion.
Great for commerce
Advanced Commerce features include Quick View, product zoom, and on-hover effects.
Multiple navigation areas
These templates support three separate navigation areas, all of which you can style independently.
Customizable mobile styles
Choose how your site appears on smartphones and other reduced-width browser windows.
Modern Blog Page
With two adjustable layout options, the Blog Page puts the emphasis on your images, videos, and content.
A special inset for text and certain other blocks helps you create eye-catching layouts.
In the Brine family, you can choose the language for your site's built-in text, such as submission forms and the Order Confirmed message. If you haven't created a site yet, you can start with a Spanish template.
Templates in the Brine family
Tip: To see which template you're using, visit the Template panel.
The following templates are in the Brine family. All these templates share the same underlying structure and functionality:
- Lincoln (discontinued)
Certain tweaks and settings can make a big impact on how your site looks and behaves. Play with the following options until you settle on a design you love.
To open any panel, press the ? key and search for its name.
From the Home Menu, click Design, then Style Editor.
These are some key tweaks that affect the whole site:
- Header: Layout > Position tweaks
- Header: Top > Background
- Header: Primary Navigation > Style
- Site: Border > Show Border
- Main > Color
- Footer > Layout
An Index is a page of stacked sections. To get a feel for how your Index works:
- From the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click + and add an Index Page.
- Click Add Section and add:
- Two Content sections
- One Gallery section with at least 3 images
- In the left panel, hover over over one of the content sections and click the . Add a thumbnail image in the Media tab.
Next, go to the Home Menu and click Design, then Style Editor. Here are some key tweaks:
- Index: Gallery > Layout, Aspect Ratio, and Spacing
- Index: Gallery > Hover Style and Image Overlay
- Main: Content Colors > Body Text and Body Text (Overlay)
Banners are images or videos that display at the top of your page.
- From the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Next to Main Navigation, click the +, then click Page.
- Give the page a thumbnail image.
- Hover over the area below the header and click Edit to add some text to the Intro area. Hover below that and click Edit to add Page Content text.
You can add a banner like this to any Album, Blog, Events, Gallery, Products, or Regular Page on your site. You can also add a video URL instead of the page thumbnail to create a video banner.
Next, open the Style Editor. Here are some key tweaks:
- Header: Layout > Position tweaks - Try adding at least one header element to the Bottom header.
- Main: Overlay > Enable Parallax and Overlay Color
- Main: Content Colors > Body Text (Overlay)
Tip: Save and refresh after each change for best results.
- Blog: List > Style and Image Aspect Ratio
- Blog: List > Metadata
- Blog: Metadata > Primary and Secondary
- Blog: Typography & Colors > Title Color
Switch between excerpts and full post within Blog Page settings.
Use Device View to see what your site looks like on mobile. Here are some key tweaks:
- Mobile: Menu Icon > Menu Icon and Menu Icon Position
- Mobile: Top > Fixed Mobile Top
- Mobile: Top > Top Background
- Mobile: Branding > Font or Logo Width
To see examples of real customer sites, click the links below and scroll to the Customers Using This Template section. Since all templates in this family have the same features, you can use these as inspiration even if your template isn't in the list below:
For more help customizing specific parts of your site, visit our Brine guides: