Wells is a portfolio template popular with artists, photographers, and other creative businesses. With its sidebar navigation, prominent gallery pages, and clean design, Wells puts your work front and center.
Tip: The Wells Live Preview page shows real customer sites using this template.
Wells supports these page types:
- Album Pages
- Blog Pages - List
- Cover Pages
- Events Pages
- Gallery Pages - Slideshow/grid
- Layout Pages
- Products Pages - Classic
Wells features a navigation sidebar on all pages. The sidebar can contain:
- The site title or logo and tagline. Style these in Site Title / Logo Options.
- Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation links. Style these in Site Navigation Options. Folders expand when clicked.
- A content area you can customize with blocks. The content area doesn't display on mobile.
- Built-in social icons. Style or hide these in Social Link Options.
- Gallery Page navigation.
Style the sidebar width and position in Sidebar Options.
- Sidebar Text Alignment.
- When Sidebar Fixed is checked, the navigation links stay fixed in place. When unchecked, the sidebar moves up the page as you scroll.
Blog Pages have a second sidebar.
Use the Site Background tweak in the Site Wide Options section of Site Styles to change the background color of your site. Wells doesn’t support background images.
Wells Blog Pages display as a list of vertically-stacked posts.
- Dates and categories display below post titles.
- Source URL, tags, comments, Shares, and likes display below the post content.
- Author names don't display.
- Change the metadata color with Blog Meta Data Color in Blog Options.
- Promoted Blocks display above post titles.
- On individual posts, navigation for previous and next posts displays below the comments.
Excerpts display with a Read More link. Thumbnails display above the excerpt text. If a post with an excerpt has both a thumbnail and a Promoted Block, the Promoted Block displays.
A sidebar displays on blog landing pages and posts. Customize it with blocks. If you have multiple blogs on your site, the same sidebar displays on all of them.
In Blog Options:
- Choose the side with Blog Sidebar.
- Hide the sidebar with Blog Sidebar: Hidden.
- Set the size with Blog Sidebar Width and Blog Sidebar Padding.
Wells Gallery Pages display images and videos in a slideshow. If visitors click Show Thumbnails in the bottom-left corner, or the up arrow that appears on hover over an image, the display changes to the thumbnail view. Clicking a thumbnail returns the view to slideshow for that image.
Style the Gallery Page in Gallery Options.
- To make thumbnail view the default when visitors land on Gallery Pages, choose Initial Gallery View: Thumbnails.
- Gallery Pages set as the homepage can have different layout settings. Use the Homepage Gallery View tweak to set this.
- To hide the thumbnail option, uncheck Enable Gallery Thumbnails.
- Use the Gallery Style tweak to choose if slideshow images resize to fit the browser height with no cropping (Fit) or crop to fill all available space (Fill).
- Set the size and shape of your thumbnails with Thumbnail Aspect Ratio and Thumbnail Width.
- Image captions display in the site-wide sidebar in slideshow layout. They don’t display in thumbnail view.
- Style image captions with the Text tweaks in Site Wide Options. For color, titles follow Headings Color and descriptions follow Body Text Color.
In slideshow mode, gallery navigation appears in the site-wide sidebar.
- Choose if it displays as text or bullets, or hide the navigation, with Gallery Controls.
- Change colors, sizes, and fonts with the other Gallery Controls tweaks.
When you hover over the side of an image in slideshow, the cursor turns into left or right arrows. Use these to scroll. If there's only one image in a gallery, this doesn't display.
More help with galleries
- If image titles, descriptions, and navigation for any image are too big to fit in the sidebar, they'll display on the opposite side as an overlay for all images in the gallery. Navigation numbers or bullets always display as Prev / Next in the overlay.
- Customize deeplink URLs to send visitors directly to any image in the slideshow.
- Wells galleries don't support clickthrough URLs or a lightbox.
- On mobile devices and reduced-width browsers, images stack vertically. Captions display below the image.
Wells doesn't offer a footer. For a list of templates with footers, visit Editing footers.
Style your site's fonts in Site Wide Options.
With Squarespace's built-in responsive design, your site adjusts to look great on any device.
- The navigation sidebar becomes a header at the top.
- Set the site title's font and size of the site title with Mobile Site Title Style: Manual in Site Title / Logo Options. Set the logo size with Mobile Logo Image Size.
- Navigation sidebar content doesn't appear.
- Blog sidebar content displays beneath the page content.
- You can disable mobile styles, but we don't recommend it.
Navigation links collapse behind a Menu link in the top-right corner.
- The overlay background follows Navigation (Active) Color in Site Navigation Options.
- The navigation links follow the Site Background color in Site Wide Options.
- The Menu link always displays on mobile, even if the Main and Secondary Navigations are empty.