Squarespace templates display sidebars as part of their layout. There are two types of sidebars:
- Content sidebars - These have editable blocks areas so you can add text, images, links, and more. Depending on the template, they may only appear on specific collection pages, like Blog Pages, or site-wide.
- Navigation sidebars - Some templates display navigation links in a sidebar on all pages, rather than at the top of the site.
This guide explains how to add blocks to a content sidebar and which templates offer sidebars.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- Sidebar content doesn't transfer between templates. To learn more, visit Switching templates.
- In most templates, content sidebars display at the bottom of the page when viewed on mobile devices to help with responsive design. In Ishimoto, sidebars don't display on mobile devices.
Editing your site's sidebars
For any sidebar, you'll make changes to style elements such as fonts and colors with the Style Editor.
To adjust what displays in navigation sidebars:
- Add and rearrange the links in the Pages panel.
- If the site title, logo, and tag line display in the sidebar navigation, you can adjust them in the Site Title & Logo panel.
To adjust the content of a sidebar, follow the steps below.
Step 1 - Open the sidebar editor
To edit a content sidebar, open a page on your site where the sidebar displays. Click the Hide Arrow or press Esc.
Hover over the sidebar and click Edit in the annotation.
Note: On smaller screens, your sidebar may appear at the bottom of the page. Hover over the content area to confirm that the annotation is labeled Sidebar before editing.
Step 2 - Add blocks
Click an Insert Point to add a Content Block. One of the best blocks for the sidebar is the Archive Block. You can use this to create text-only lists of content by date, category, tag, or author.
Select a block from the Block Menu. Some popular blocks for sidebars are:
- Archive Block - Add an organized list of content links
- Text Block - Add any custom text
- Newsletter Block - Add a newsletter subscription form
- Tag Cloud Block - Add a graphic cloud of tags
- Line Block - Add dividers between blocks
Continue adding blocks until you've added all your desired content to the sidebar.
Step 3 - Create a Layout
To preserve the width of a sidebar, Content Blocks can only be stacked on top of each other. To reorder the content in a sidebar, click and drag the blocks.
Step 4 - Save
Click Save to publish your changes.
The Sidebar Editor will close. Depending upon your template, the blocks in your page sidebar will appear similar to this:
Sidebar options by template
The following templates support a content sidebar:
Note: Before making changes to a sidebar’s display in the Style Editor, first navigate to the page you’d like to edit, then to the Design panel. This ensures that you see the sidebar style options relevant to that page.
|Template||Display||Steps to customize in the Style Editor|
|Avenue||Enabled for Blog Pages when site Layout Style is set to Left or Right within the Style Editor.||Set the sidebar display:
Anya, Bryant, Bedford, Hayden
|Enabled for Blog Pages and unique to each Blog Page.||Disable for all Blog Pages:
|Five||Enabled for all pages within each page’s settings.||Set the sidebar display:
|Forte||Enabled for Blog Pages.||Set the sidebar display:
|Galapagos||Enabled for Blog Pages.||Disable:
|Ishimoto||Enabled for Blog Pages.||Set the sidebar display:
Julia, Kent, Montauk, Om
|Enabled for Blog Pages.||Set the sidebar display:
Foundry, Indigo, Ready, Skye, Tudor
|Enabled for blog posts.||
Set the sidebar display:
|Wells||Enabled for all pages and appears below navigation and social icons as Header Content.||Enable an additional sidebar on the Blog Page:
It’s considered a best practice to delete the content from the blog sidebar when it's hidden. To learn more, visit Wells troubleshooting.
|Wexley||Enabled for Blog Pages.||Set the sidebar display:
The following templates support sidebar navigation. Click the links to learn more. Templates are grouped by family.
Offset or Business Card layouts
Anya, Bryant, Bedford, Hayden
|Sidebar navigation for folders and Index Pages.|
When you select Top Navigation Position: None, the navigation links move into the content sidebar.