If you purchased a domain from GoDaddy and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. You may also find GoDaddy's guide helpful as you work on the connection.
Before you begin
- Ensure your domain meets our requirements for connecting third-party domains.
- Remove any active DS records on GoDaddy's end, as these will prevent your domain from connecting to Squarespace.
- If you're connecting a GoDaddy subdomain, you'll need to adjust DNS settings manually instead of following this guide. For help, visit Connecting a subdomain to your Squarespace site to see the full process.
Connect your domain
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name field, then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select GoDaddy from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the pop-up window that appears, log into your GoDaddy account.
- Click Connect.
- If the connection was successful, a GoDaddy confirmation message will display.
- If the pop-up doesn't close automatically, click Close Window to return to Squarespace.
Wait for the connection to complete
You'll see a pop-up message on your site showing that the connection is in progress. Click Ok.
Your domain can take 24 to 72 hours to fully connect. It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide.
You can check if your domain is connected in the Domains panel:
- If you see a green Connected label, this means your domain is connected and no further action is needed.
- If the domain hasn't finished connecting, it will show a yellow Connection in progress label. Wait 72 hours for the domain connection to complete. If the Connection in progress label remains or the domain fails to connect, see our tips below or visit Troubleshooting domain connections.
Disconnect a GoDaddy domain
To disconnect your GoDaddy domain from Squarespace, you'll need to completely remove our DNS records from your GoDaddy account before you can connect it elsewhere:
- Log into your Squarespace account and disconnect the domain from your Domains panel.
- Log into your GoDaddy account.
- Find the domain you want to disconnect, then click DNS.
- Delete all records shown in the screenshot below. To delete a record, click the pencil icon to the right, then click the trash can icon.
Tip: The CNAME pointing to verify.squarespace.com in the screenshot below is just an example. In your GoDaddy account, this CNAME is unique to your domain.
I'm seeing a failure message from GoDaddy when I try to link my domain.
If you're seeing a GoDaddy error message within Squarespace, try the following steps before attempting to re-link your domain:
- Ensure that you're using GoDaddy's default nameservers. For help resetting them, visit GoDaddy's Support team.
- Log out of your GoDaddy account.
- Try manually connecting your domain.