Transfer site ownership or get set up as the new site owner.
If you're the current site owner, you can transfer ownership of your site to another contributor. After you transfer ownership, the former owner will become a contributor with administrator permissions. The new site owner can change the former owner's permissions as needed.
Transferring ownership is useful if you're a designer working with a client and are ready to hand over the site to them, or if you're leaving an organization.
Before you begin
- Only the current site owner can transfer ownership to another person.
- Changing the site owner also changes ownership of any other subscriptions connected to the site, such as Google Workspace, Squarespace domains, Acuity Scheduling, or Email Campaigns.
- The new owner must already be a contributor on the site. Learn how to invite someone to contribute to your site.
- When you transfer ownership to another person, the billing information on file doesn't change. You may want to update the billing information prior to transferring ownership.
About site owners
Site ownership is established by the owner permission level. While you can add multiple contributors with administrator permissions, a site can only have one owner, who can't be removed by any other contributor.
In certain situations, the owner's account email address is used to verify ownership.
Watch a video
To transfer ownership of a Squarespace site:
- If you haven't already, invite the future site owner as a contributor to the site.
- Open the Permissions & Ownership panel.
- Click the current site owner's name under Owner.
- Click Transfer Ownership.
- In the pop-up message, verify your account by logging in, then select the new owner from the drop-down menu.
- Click Continue, then click Confirm.
Next steps for the new site owner
If you're the new site owner, you may want to take these optional steps for your site:
Update the billing information on file
When you transfer ownership to another person, the billing information on file doesn't change. You may want to update the billing information so the previous owner isn't charged when the site renews.
Update domain contact information
Changing the site owner doesn't change the contact email for Squarespace domains. To change the domain's contact email address, visit Domain contact information.
Remove permissions from the previous site owner
After you change ownership, the former owner will be a contributor with administrator permissions. This means that they can still edit billing information and cancel your site. You can change permissions or remove the previous owner from your site.
- If you're the former site owner, you can remove yourself as a contributor.
- If you're the new site owner, you can remove the old site owner or change their permissions.
Check your Squarespace Payments connection
If you use Squarespace Payments, ensure the Payments account is still connected to the site by following the steps in Managing your Squarespace Payments account. To connect a new Squarespace Payments account, visit Getting started with Squarespace Payments.
Learn about the site's content and features
To further explore the new site's settings, subscriptions, content, and available features, visit Taking over a Squarespace site for detailed steps.
Change ownership of other subscriptions
If you have Squarespace subscriptions that aren't connected to a Squarespace site, you can transfer ownership through a similar process.
Domains on parking pages
If you purchased or transferred a Squarespace domain before building a site, your domain may be linked to a parking page. You can change the ownership of the parking page following the same steps for transferring site ownership.
Acuity subscription that isn't attached to a website
If you use an Acuity Scheduling subscription that isn't attached to a website, visit Changing Scheduling ownership to transfer the subscription to another user who already has permissions.
Ownership of a deceased person's site
If you’re a relative of a deceased Squarespace website owner or the executor of their estate, you can request access to their site.