You can move a custom domain from one Squarespace site to another. How you move a domain depends on where you bought it. In either case, you'll start on the site where the domain is currently connected.
Move a Squarespace Domain
If you registered a domain through Squarespace or you transferred it to Squarespace and want to use it for a different Squarespace site, move it in your Domains panel.
You can move the domain to:
- A paid site
- A parking page
- A trial site with an active domain or G Suite subscription
Keep in mind:
- The domain must be active. It's not possible to move an expired domain.
- If moving the domain to a trial site, we recommend upgrading to a paid site first.
- You must be the site owner or have Administrator permissions on both sites.
- The sites must be on the same Squarespace account. If the site you're moving to isn't on your account, request to be added as a contributor with Administrator permissions.
Move your domain
Start with the site where your domain is currently linked:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press ? while any panel is open and search domains. (If you're moving a domain from a parking page, start by clicking the domain in your main menu.)
- Click the domain you’d like to move.
- Scroll down, and click Move Domain to Another Site.
Note: If you don’t see a Move Domain to Another Site button, you don’t have another site with a paid website, domain, or G Suite subscription on your account. Review your sites in your Account Dashboard and upgrade your trial site, if needed, before moving the domain.
- In the pop-up window, click the thumbnail of the site where the domain will move.
- Log into the new site, and click Confirm to complete the process.
Your domain should show the new site within 24 hours, but it can take up to 72 hours.
Note: If you see a "Your domain can’t be moved because of an issue on our end" error, check the email associated with your site. You'll receive more information and next steps in an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Error moving your domain." If you can't find this email, contact Customer Support using the steps under Getting more help.
- Current Squarespace site URL (like yoursite.squarespace.com)
- Squarespace site URL of the site you're moving the domain to
- Custom domain name
- How much of the process you’ve completed
After we confirm your information, we'll help you complete the process.
Move a third-party domain
If you have a domain from another provider (like Network Solutions or 1&1 IONOS) connected to a Squarespace site, follow these steps.
If you’re leaving Squarespace, follow our steps for disconnecting the domain instead.
Step 1 - Unlink the domain
Start with the site connected to the domain you want to move.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press ? while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click the domain you want to move, then click Disconnect Domain.
- Click Yes in the red message that appears to confirm.
Step 2 - Link the domain to your new site
Log into the site you want to connect to the domain. If you manage multiple sites, you can return to the Home Menu and open your site selection grid to switch between sites.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re linking in the Domain Name box, then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check other Squarespace sites you manage to see where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site. For help logging into the correct site, visit Managing multiple sites.
- Select your domain provider from the drop-down menu. If you don’t see your domain provider, select Other, and click Connect Domain.
- You'll see a Connecting in Progress message. Click Okay to continue.
- A new panel will open showing the records to enter in your domain provider’s account to reconnect to Squarespace. Since your domain was previously connected to Squarespace, you’ll only need to update the unique CNAME so it connects to the new site.
Step 3 - Update the CNAME Record
Tip: If your domain is hosted by GoDaddy, Google, or Hover, you can skip this step. These providers connect domains to Squarespace automatically.
- In the first line of your Squarespace DNS settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column.
- Log into your domain account.
- Find where you manage your DNS settings. Depending on your provider, this may be called Zone File Settings, DNS Manager, or something similar.
- Find the CNAME Record with verify.squarespace.com in the Points To field.
- Replace the text in the Alias field with the new code that you copied from the Domains panel.
- Don't change any other fields or records.
- Save your changes.
If all records are entered correctly, your domain should connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
Visit our provider-specific guides for detailed steps on editing CNAME Records in popular registrars.
Move your G Suite subscription
When you move your domain to a new site, you can also move over that domain’s linked G Suite subscription, as long as the new site doesn’t already have a G Suite account. It’s not possible to have two active G Suite subscriptions on one site.
If you’re moving a Squarespace domain, your G Suite subscription will move over to the new site automatically. To ensure this happens smoothly, confirm that your G Suite account is active. If the account is suspended, you can go through all the steps to move your domain, but neither the domain nor the G Suite account will actually move.
If you have a third-party domain, you must first complete the steps above to move your domain, and then contact us to request the G Suite transfer. Include the following information with your request:
- Current Squarespace site URL
- Squarespace site URL of the site you're moving to
- Custom domain name
- Full name and last four digits of the credit card(s) on file for each site
Can I move a domain to an expired site?
No. You can't move a Squarespace domain to an expired site. You also can't connect a third-party domain to an expired site.
Can I move my domain to a site paid for with a different currency?
Yes. After moving the domain, its subscription price will be in the new site's currency.
Can I move a free domain?
Yes. A free domain will convert to a paid domain if the site you're moving to is on a monthly plan or already has a free domain.