Whether you're hosting a domain or website with GoDaddy, you can use this guide to create a new Squarespace site, connect your domain, and minimize the SEO impact of switching platforms.
What you can move
- Domains - If you purchased domains from GoDaddy, you can transfer them to Squarespace. You can transfer multiple domains, whether they're currently parked, on hold, or connected to an old website.
- Website content - If you created a website using GoDaddy's Website Builder (or another website host) and want to redesign it on Squarespace, this process involves recreating your site using our tools and moving your domains. It isn't possible to import a site or its content from GoDaddy.
Get to know Squarespace
Before building your site, we recommend taking a moment to explore Squarespace and learn how the platform works.
If you have a specific question, you can search this Help Center to find guides on any Squarespace feature. For an overview, our Getting Started page links to popular guides.
Transfer a parked GoDaddy domain
If you have a domain registered with GoDaddy that isn't connected to a site yet, you can get started with Squarespace by transferring your domain first and then upgrading its parking page.
Move a GoDaddy site and domain
Step 1 - Build your site
When recreating your site, you can reuse content on your GoDaddy site with one of our versatile, design-focused templates. You can build a new site on Squarespace with these steps:
- Start a trial - Every Squarespace site begins with a 14-day free trial, no credit card required. Trials include full access to Squarespace features and are a great way to see if our platform meets your needs.
- Choose a template - Our designs use demo content to show off key features, but all sites have the same features and style options. You can create a beautiful site for a range of needs, from small business sites to artist's portfolios, weddings, and more, no matter what you choose as your starting point.
- Add pages - Place layout pages and specialized pages, like blog pages, in your navigation menu to create a site structure.
- Upload content - Build your site by adding blocks and moving content to create unique layouts.
- Edit the style - Use site styles to change fonts, colors, and other design options.
If you're using content from your GoDaddy site for your new Squarespace site, use the following tips to ensure a smooth transition:
- When copying and pasting text, remove text formatting to avoid importing stray HTML tags. These can interfere with your site's style settings.
- Format your images so they look great on different screen sizes.
Step 2 - Transfer your domain
When your site is ready, complete your transition by transferring your domain to Squarespace. This way, you can manage all aspects of your site from one service instead of two, and Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
If your domain doesn’t meet our transfer requirements, or if you have a complex registration setup, you can connect it instead. You can also register a Squarespace domain. All Squarespace sites on an annual billing plan include one custom domain for a year. You can register more domains for $20 to $70 per year.
Step 3 - Maintain your SEO
All Squarespace sites, on every plan, are optimized for modern search engines at no additional cost. Your site is coded in a way that makes it easy for Google and other search engines to find and index its content. To learn more about our SEO features, available at no extra cost, visit SEO and Squarespace overview.
Moving a site between platforms can affect its search ranking, at least at first. This is especially true if some URLs change and other sites continue to link to your old URLs. By following our tips, you can reduce this effect on Google search results and potentially increase your search performance in the long run.
With your Squarespace site structure already built for a solid SEO strategy, you can take additional steps to increase your site's visibility to search engines.
Step 4 - Upgrade to paid service
Your 14-day free trial provides a chance to explore Squarespace and see if our platform will meet your needs. When you’ve explored the platform and decided to build your new site with Squarespace, you’ll want to upgrade to paid service.
You can keep your site private until the design is finished and you’re ready to add a domain.
Step 5 - Cancel service with GoDaddy
Squarespace provides website hosting and, if you transferred or registered a domain with us, domain hosting. After your Squarespace site is online, you've imported or recreated all essential content, and no longer need your old site, you can most likely cancel service with GoDaddy.
However, if you connected a domain that is still hosted by GoDaddy (rather than transferring it), you'll need to maintain that domain subscription. If you're not sure, contact GoDaddy to confirm what services you're paying for.
Is there a free version of Squarespace?
You can start every website with a free 14-day trial, but we don't offer a free version for ongoing sites.
I can't find a design for my business.
Squarespace sites are flexible, so the template can be customized to create any number of site designs. We use demo content to show off key features, but starting with a design that uses restaurant demo content doesn't limit you to building a restaurant site.
Can I have a multiple people work on my site?
Yes. You can invite contributors to edit and manage your site. By setting different permissions, you can ensure your team has the level of access appropriate to their responsibilities.
Can I remove "Made with Squarespace?"
Yes. This text is optional on every plan and site. You’re welcome to remove it and replace it with other content.
Do I need to optimize my site for mobile?
No. We use built-in mobile styles to ensure your site looks great on any display size. There's no need to design a mobile-specific version of your site.
Can someone rebuild my site on Squarespace for me?
Yes. While we're here 24/7 to help you transition to Squarespace, you may decide that you need more extensive design or development help from a Squarespace Expert. To learn more, visit Hiring a Squarespace Expert.
If you're a business needing premium support as you move to Squarespace, explore Squarespace Select.
For more popular questions about moving to Squarespace, visit Starting with Squarespace FAQ.