You can move collection items, such as blog posts, products, gallery images and videos, events, and album tracks, between collection pages of the same type. This is a great way to organize content without recreating it or merge multiple pages into one.
Before you begin
- You can move content between these collections: Album, Blog, Events, Gallery, Products, and Project Pages.
- On the York template family, you can move content between Project Pages and Gallery Pages.
- It's not possible to move content between Layout Pages or Portfolio Pages.
- To move content between Indexes or folders, drag and drop the page in the Pages panel.
- You can't transfer content between Squarespace sites.
- In version 7.1, you can’t move images between gallery sections. Reuse images instead.
Move collection items
To move collection items to a new collection page:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- In the Pages panel, select the page containing the content you're moving.
- Press and hold Shift and click the item or items you want to move.
- In the action bar at the bottom of the panel, click Move. The Move button only shows if you have at least one other page of the same type.
- In the Select Destination Collection window, select the page where the content will go.
- Click Move Items. The select and move options might look different depending on the page type.
Where the items appear in the new collection page depends on the type:
- Products, gallery images and videos, album tracks - Moved items appear at the bottom of the collection. To rearrange the items, click and drag them.
- Blog posts, events - Items are ordered based on their date. To rearrange them, change the dates of the blog post or event.
Merge collection pages
If you want to combine multiple collection pages of the same type, you can follow the steps above to move all collection items to a single page.
After moving all the collection items, you can delete any empty collection pages you don't need anymore. To learn more about deleting pages, visit Deleting pages or blog posts.
Consolidating Blog Pages with categories
If your site has multiple Blog Pages for different categories, but you want to combine them into a single Blog Page organized using our built-in categorization options, follow these steps:
- Add categories to all of your blog posts in each Blog Page.
- Move your blog posts into a single Blog Page.
- Create category links that link to filtered versions of the Blog Page so visitors can browse each category individually.
- Delete the empty Blog Pages.
Organizing blog posts this way allows visitors to browse all your posts from a single page. You can also use other site features, like Summary Blocks, to showcase posts from multiple categories at the same time.
Avoid broken links with URL redirects
Direct URLs for collection items (except album tracks) change to match the new collection page.
For example, if the original Products Page was www.yourdomain.com/bestsellers, and the destination Products Page is www.yourdomain.com/sale, a moved product will change:
- Original URL (doesn't work): www.yourdomain.com/bestsellers/sample-product
- New URL: www.yourdomain.com/sale/sample-product
If visitors try to visit the collection items using their original URLs, they will be taken to your 404 error page.
If both pages were public, we recommend setting up 301 redirects to ensure your SEO isn't impacted and visitors don't go to broken links.
Display collection items on Layout Pages
It's not possible to move collection items directly to Layout Pages, but you can display collection items on Layout Pages using blocks:
- Calendar Blocks - Display events or other collection items in a calendar format.
- Gallery Blocks - Display images and videos from existing Gallery Pages in a variety of formats.
- Product Blocks - Display individual products from existing Product Pages.
- Summary Blocks - Display blog posts, events, gallery images and videos, or products in a variety of formats.