If you purchased a domain from GoDaddy and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with GoDaddy, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of hosting.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Before you begin
- To follow this guide, you should already have a domain registered and active with GoDaddy. After you’ve connected your domain, you must leave it registered with GoDaddy to keep it connected to your Squarespace site.
- Remove any active DS records on GoDaddy's end, as these will prevent your domain from connecting to Squarespace.
- You can't connect a custom domain to Squarespace if the domain name has the word "Squarespace" in it.
- If you're connecting a subdomain from GoDaddy, you'll need to adjust your DNS settings manually rather than following the steps in this guide. Visit Connecting a subdomain to your Squarespace site to see the full process.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select GoDaddy from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
Step 2 - Approve the GoDaddy connection
A pop-up window will appear. Log in using your GoDaddy username and password.
You'll see a message saying the connection was successful.
Click Close Window to return to Squarespace.
Step 3 - Wait for the connection to complete
Congratulations, you've finished connecting the domain!
It can take 24 to 72 hours for the connection to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can return to your Squarespace DNS Settings, click Refresh below the records, and the Current Data column will start to show if your records are entered correctly. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide.
Connecting a previously connected domain
If you're connecting a GoDaddy domain that was mapped to Squarespace previously, you'll see the following message while completing these steps. Click Connect to continue.
Disconnect a GoDaddy domain
If you used the steps above to connect your domain to Squarespace, this automatically adds Squarespace records to your GoDaddy DNS settings. If you later disconnect this domain, you'll need to completely remove our records from your GoDaddy account before connecting it elsewhere:
- Log into your Squarespace account and disconnect your domain from your Domains panel.
- Log into your GoDaddy account. Click the drop-down menu next to your account name and select Manage Domains.
- Find the domain you're disconnecting and click Manage Connection.
- Click Delete Connection.
If you don't see a Delete Connection option, you can delete the Squarespace records manually.
- On the My Domains page, find the domain you're disconnecting and click the drop-down menu.
- Click Manage DNS.
- Delete all records shown in the screenshot below. To delete a record, click the pencil icon to the right, then click the trash can icon.
Note: Your CNAME pointing to verify.squarespace.com will have a different Name value than the one shown here. This is normal, as this is a unique record for each connection.
After all Squarespace records are removed, you can connect the domain to a new site.
I'm seeing a failure message from GoDaddy when I try to link my domain.
If you're seeing a GoDaddy error message within Squarespace, try the following steps before attempting to re-link your domain:
- Ensure that you're using GoDaddy's default nameservers. For help resetting them, visit GoDaddy's Support.
- Fully log out of your GoDaddy account.
- Try manually connecting your domain.
If none of these steps work, contact us for more help.