If you purchased a domain from GoDaddy and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your GoDaddy account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with GoDaddy, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of service.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- To follow this guide, you should already have a domain registered and active with GoDaddy. Once you’ve connected your domain, you must leave it registered with GoDaddy to keep it connected to your Squarespace site.
- Remove any active DS records on GoDaddy's end, as these will prevent your domain from connecting to Squarespace.
- You can't connect a custom domain to Squarespace if the domain name has the word "Squarespace" in it.
- If you're connecting a subdomain from GoDaddy, you'll need to adjust your DNS settings manually rather than following the steps in this guide. Visit Connecting a subdomain to your Squarespace site to see the full process.
Step 1 - Open the Domains panel
In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
Step 2 - Link your domain
Click Use a Domain I Own. Enter the full domain name you’re linking in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check any other Squarespace sites you manage to determine where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site. For help logging into the correct site, visit Managing multiple sites.
Squarespace will detect that your domain is hosted at GoDaddy. Ensure GoDaddy is selected, and then click Connect Domain.
Step 3 - Approve the GoDaddy connection
A pop-up window will appear. Log in using your GoDaddy username and password.
You'll see a message saying the connection was successful.
Click Close Window to return to Squarespace.
Step 4 - Wait and test
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
Connecting a previously connected domain
If you're connecting a GoDaddy domain that was mapped to Squarespace previously, you'll see the following message while completing these steps. Click Connect to continue.
Disconnect a GoDaddy domain
If you used the steps above to connect your domain to Squarespace, this automatically adds Squarespace records to your GoDaddy DNS settings. If you later disconnect this domain, you'll need to completely remove our records from your GoDaddy account before connecting it elsewhere:
- Log into your Squarespace account and disconnect your domain from your Domains panel.
- Log into your GoDaddy account. Click the account drop-down menu and select Manage My Domains.
- Click your custom domain under Domain Name.
- Click the DNS Zone File tab.
- Find the box above your DNS records labeled Squarespace Applied and click the X to remove the records.
- On the next confirmation page, click Delete Connection.
You can now connect the domain to a new site.
I'm seeing a failure message from GoDaddy when I try to link my domain.
If you're seeing a GoDaddy error message within Squarespace, try the following steps before attempting to re-link your domain:
- Ensure that you're using GoDaddy's default nameservers. For help resetting them, visit GoDaddy's Support.
- Fully log out of your GoDaddy account.
- Try manually connecting your domain.
If none of these steps work, contact our Customer Care and an Advisor will be happy to assist you.