If you purchased a domain from GoDaddy and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. You may also find GoDaddy's guide helpful as you work on the connection.
Tip: If your domain is eligible, we recommend transferring it instead of connecting it. Learn more about the differences between transferring and connecting or get started with a transfer.
Before you begin
- Ensure your domain meets our requirements for connecting third-party domains.
- Remove any active DS records on GoDaddy's end, as these will prevent your domain from connecting to Squarespace.
- If you're connecting a GoDaddy subdomain, you'll need to adjust DNS settings manually instead of following this guide. For help, visit Connecting a subdomain to your Squarespace site to see the full process.
Connect your domain
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Enter domain field, then click the arrow.
- Click Connect domain.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. After finding the site, disconnect the domain.
- Select GoDaddy from the drop-down menu, if it’s not already selected.
- Click Connect domain.
- In the "GoDaddy Sign In" pop-up message, log into your GoDaddy account.
- Click Connect.
- In the "Connection in progress" pop-up message on your site, click Continue.
Wait for the connection to complete
Now that you've set up the automatic connection, it can take 24 to 72 hours for the domain to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can watch the connection's progress. In the Domains panel, click the GoDaddy domain, then click DNS Settings. Click Refresh below the records, and the Current Data column will start to show green labels as your domain connects. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide. If you see an error message after 72 hours, see our tips below, or visit Troubleshooting domain connections.
If you're seeing a GoDaddy error message within Squarespace, try the following steps:
- Ensure that you're using GoDaddy's default nameservers. See our steps for resetting to GoDaddy's default nameservers. After resetting the nameservers, you’ll need to adjust the DNS records manually.
- Log out of your GoDaddy account.
- Try manually connecting your domain.
Getting more help
For more help with settings in your GoDaddy account, contact their support team. For tips on troubleshooting with GoDaddy, visit Requesting third-party domain help. You can also review their documentation.