Once you've set up a store using Squarespace Commerce, your customers can browse your products, add them to a shopping cart, and check out.
Your shopping experience may vary slightly depending on how you set up your store. Running test orders is the best way to get to know how your checkout works.
Note: Before customers can check out, you'll need to add products to your site and connect a payment processor.
Commerce and payment processors are Premium features available in the current Website Business plan and higher:
- Available in: All Business and Commerce plans
- Available in: Legacy Personal plan (not available for new subscriptions)
- Not available in: Trial sites
- Not available in: Current Personal plan
To learn more, visit Premium features.
Step 1 - Select a product
When a customer opens a Products Page, they can view and select products from a thumbnail view.
Step 2 - Add to the shopping cart
Once a customer selects an item from the main Products Page, the product's item page will open.
- On this page, they can review the product's information, images, and more.
- Depending on how you set up the product, they can select different options (like color and size) and select a quantity.
- They can click the Add to Cart button to select the product.
Once they add an item to their cart:
- A cart notification displays in the top-right of the page.
- The cart notification shows the number of items in their cart and the total cost.
- Shopping cart design varies by template.
Tip: To send visitors directly to checkout after selecting a product, enable Express Checkout.
Step 3 - View the cart
After adding a product to the cart, they can continue shopping or click the cart notification to open the shopping cart.
In the shopping cart, they can change the quantity of products or remove products.
To change the quantity of a product, they can click on the current value in the Quantity field and enter a new value.
Note: The shopping cart has a default item limit of 500. If Carrier Calculated Shipping is enabled, the item limit is 150 items. To learn more about this limit, visit Carrier Calculated shipping overview.
To delete an item from the cart, the customer can click the X at the far-right of the product.
The customer can click Checkout to complete the purchase and pay for your products.
If all products are removed from the shopping cart, the shopping cart will display a Continue Shopping link that opens your homepage.
Tip: The "Shopping Cart" header follows the same style as your site's Heading 2 text.
Step 4 - Checkout
Clicking the Checkout button opens the checkout page, where the customer will enter their billing information (and shipping information for physical products), review their order, and complete their purchase. This section walks through the standard checkout page.
Protected by SSL
Your checkout page is protected by SSL to keep your customers’ credit card data safe and secure.
1 - Customer Information
- The customer enters their email address.
- If you added a newsletter subscription option to checkout, they can check or uncheck this option.
2 - Shipping
The customer enters their shipping address at this step.
- When they start typing an address, the checkout page displays a Google-powered list of autocomplete suggestions. The customer can click on the address they want, and the rest of the form fills out automatically.
After they enter a shipping address, they can select a shipping option.
- The options display in ascending order of price.
- The least expensive option is selected by default.
3 - Payment
- Next, customers will enter their credit card information and billing address or log into PayPal. Depending on their browser, they can also check out with Apple Pay.
4 - Review and Purchase
Once the billing, shipping, and payment information are complete, the customer can click Purchase to place their order.
If you added Store Policies, these appear here as text links.
Apply a discount
If you offer discounts, the customer can enter a promo code in the Order Summary to the right at any point during checkout.
- Discounts apply to the cost of the product, not shipping. (Only Free shipping discounts affect shipping cost.)
- They can't apply a discount that gives a discount larger than the price of the product.
- In some cases, they can apply multiple discounts to the same order. To learn more, see our combination rules.
5 - Confirmation
- After clicking Purchase, an Order Confirmed page will display.
- The customer will receive an email confirmation. If the customer purchased a digital product, they'll receive an email with a download link.
Tip: You can customize the Order Confirmation page by adding custom HTML in the Code Injection panel. This is an advanced modification that falls outside of the scope of Squarespace support.
If customers can't check out, visit Troubleshooting checkout issues for help.