Connect a Stripe account so customers have multiple payment options to choose from when purchasing products from your store.
Accept credit cards, debit cards, and Apple Pay as payment methods at checkout by connecting a Stripe account to your site. If you're selling subscription products, use Stripe as your payment processor.
For common questions about accepting payments with Stripe and what's supported in this integration, visit Stripe FAQ.
Note: Ensure your products comply with Section 1.2 of our Product Specific Terms and don't appear on Stripe's list of prohibited businesses.
Commerce and payment processors are premium features available in the Business, Commerce, Professional, and Premium plans.
Step 1 - Connect to Stripe
Note: If you’re using Squarespace Payments, you can't connect Stripe to your Squarespace Commerce.
To connect Stripe:
- Open the Store payments panel.
- Click Connect an exisiting Stripe account.
- In the pop-up window that opens, log into your Stripe account or create a new one.
If a pop-up window doesn't appear when you click Connect an exisiting Stripe account, unblock pop-ups in your browser and try again. For help, visit these guides in Google Chrome or Firefox documentation.
If you see an error, log into Stripe to complete the activation process. If you still see an error, disable any browser extensions and try again. Keep in mind, it's not possible to connect Stripe if your domain has special characters (such as ü, é, ñ).
Step 2 - Add a Stripe account
Follow these steps to connect an existing Stripe account or create a new account.
Connect an existing Stripe account
If you already have a Stripe account:
- Enter your email address.
- Click Next.
- Enter your password.
- Click Sign in.
If you have multiple Stripe accounts under one email address, select the account you want to connect at this step.
After you connect your Stripe account, you'll receive a confirmation email from Squarespace.
Create a new Stripe account
If you don’t have a Stripe account yet:
- Enter the email address and password for the account.
- Click Next and complete all fields in the signup flow.
If you don't have a Tax ID or EIN, you can use a Social Security Number instead.
Error message: "This account already exists"
This means you might have created a Stripe account before. To resolve the issue, close the browser window, restart the process, and click Already have a Stripe account? in the top-right corner to connect your account to Stripe.
Step 3 - View payment options at checkout
Test your Stripe account
To run a test order without charging a real credit card, click Test mode, and switch the Enable test mode toggle to on. Click Save.
Connect multiple sites to Stripe
Connecting multiple Squarespace sites to one Stripe account may cause Stripe to disconnect from one or more of your sites. To prevent this, Stripe recommends using one Stripe account per site.
You can connect the same bank account to multiple Stripe accounts.
Enable Afterpay or Clearpay
With Afterpay and Clearpay, customers can pay in installments with zero percent interest. If you use Stripe as a payment processor and meet the eligibility requirements, you can enable Afterpay or Clearpay in the Store payments panel.
Disconnect your Stripe account
To remove Stripe’s payment methods, disconnect Stripe at any time. After it's disconnected, active subscriptions will be canceled, and customers won’t be able to check out using credit cards, debit cards, or Apple Pay.
- Open the Settings panel and click Selling.
- Click Store Payments.
- Scroll down to Accept Payments with Stripe and click Manage.
- Click Disconnect Stripe to remove the Stripe account from your site.
You can now connect a different Stripe account to your site by following the steps in this guide.
- If you reconnect the same account, subscriptions will reactivate. If you connect a different account, customers will have to resubscribe to your products.
- If you connect a new account, you won't be able to use Squarespace to view payment activity for orders processed by the old account. To view these orders, log into your old account on Stripe.
- Keep in mind that you can update your account details in Stripe, including your email address and bank account information, without switching Stripe accounts.
- Updating your Stripe account password could disconnect your Stripe account from Squarespace. Reconnect the same account to prevent any subscription interruptions.
Who to contact for support
Squarespace Customer Support can help you with these Stripe questions:
- Connecting Stripe
- General questions before signing up
- Issuing refunds
- Most checkout issues
- Order management
- Getting paid
- Prohibited businesses
- Reset Stripe password
- Updating bank account information
- Verifying managed accounts
Contact Stripe if your customers see the following error messages:
- "Your order can’t be completed because of an issue with merchant payment setup."
- "Unable to process payment."
- You can connect both Stripe and PayPal. To learn more, visit Connecting a payment processor.
- For more help with Stripe, visit Stripe FAQ.