Collect custom product details, like engraving or embroidery text.
You can create custom product forms for customers to complete when they add a physical, download, or service product to their carts. These forms are great for collecting personalized information for an item, like custom engraving or lettering instructions.
Note: Custom product forms are useful for gathering information related to individual items. To collect information relating to the entire order, like a gift message or special delivery instructions, create a custom checkout form instead.
Create a form
It's not currently possible to create a custom product form in the Squarespace app.
To create a new form:
- Open the Pages panel.
- Click a store page, click All (version 7.1 only), then double-click a product to open the product editor. For detailed steps, visit Editing a product.
- Under Checkout, click Custom forms.
- Click Create New Form.
- Enter a name in the Form Name field, then click Add form field add a field.
- Choose a form field to add. To learn about each form field, visit Form fields explained. As you add and edit fields, a preview populates to the right.
- Click Save, then click Apply to publish your changes.
Tip: To ensure customers complete the form, check Required next to all required fields.
Style the form
The custom product form follows your site's default color theme. The only part of the form you can style is the color of the Add to cart button. To style the button:
- Open the Site styles panel.
- Click Colors, then click your site's default color theme.
- Under Button, use the Primary button background and Primary button text tweaks to change the color.
Click Save to save your changes and keep editing, or click Exit and then Save to close the editor.
How the form displays
A custom product form opens as an overlay when a customer clicks Add to Cart. If fields are required, the customer can't add the product without completing the form. Custom product forms don't display for in-person sales. To preview this form, run a test order.
Customers can review and edit the form before checking out by clicking Edit Details beneath the item in their shopping cart.
Review form submissions
Custom product form submissions are collected in:
- Order Notification emails
- Order Summary in the Orders panel
- Order Exports (single product exports only)
To learn more about reviewing customer orders, visit Receiving an order.
Export form submissions
To export custom product form submissions, choose a specific product during the export process. Learn more in Exporting orders.
Note: Before exporting, ensure all form fields have unique names. Fields with duplicate names won't export.
Reuse the form
After saving the form, it will appear as an option in the Custom forms section so you can add the form to other products. It's not possible to duplicate a custom product form.
Disable the form
If you don't want to add a form to a product, click Custom forms, then click No Form Required.