Great product images are an important part of running an online store. You can use images to represent products throughout your site, highlight key features, and provide a closer look at details and textures. This guide covers various ways to use product images.
Tip: To get the most out of this guide, first create a Products Page and add products to your store.
Watch a video
Before you upload images
Review our image formatting guidelines to ensure your images are an appropriate size and quality for online display.
An image’s aspect ratio affects how it appears with your product size and auto cropping options. We recommend editing your images to the desired ratio before uploading. You can also adjust the focus of a cropped image after uploading using its focal point.
Tip: Start by uploading a few test images to see how they look and experiment with style options.
Landing page vs. product item pages
Before discussing product images, it helps to understand how Squarespace structures products on all sites. Products are organized in two parts:
- Products Pages are landing pages for multiple products
- Item pages show details for one product
For example, on this Products Page, visitors can browse multiple products.
Clicking any product brings them to its product item page, where they can view more images and information about the individual product.
Types of product images
When adding or editing a product, you can add these images:
How they display depends on your template's Products Page type.
The primary image represents the product in the most places, so it's best to use an image you want most customers to see first. The image appears in these places:
- On landing pages for Classic or Unique Products Pages.
- As the first image on product item pages.
- In the Products Page panel or Inventory Panel.
The primary image is the image in the top-left corner in the product editor's Item tab. Click and drag images to change their order.
Additional images give shoppers a well-rounded view of your products. Use additional images to show detail shots, your product at different angles, or staged photos. Additional images appear in these places:
- Product item pages.
- The second image can display on hover in Advanced Products Pages.
In the product editor's Item tab, all images after the first image are additional images. Click and drag images to change their order.
Thumbnail images show a preview of your products in different areas on your site. Shoppers click a product's thumbnail image to get to the Product Item page. Thumbnail images display in these areas:
By default, the first image added in the Item tab of the product editor becomes the thumbnail image. To set a different thumbnail image:
- In the product editor, click the Options tab.
- In the Thumbnail Image box, click the Trash Can icon.
- Add a thumbnail image.
- Click Save.
If you remove the thumbnail image without setting a replacement, the primary image displays instead.
On product item pages, variant images show shoppers what each product variant looks like. For example, you can use variant images to show products in different sizes and colors. By default, the product thumbnail image displays until shoppers select a variant from the drop-down menu.
To customize a variant image:
- In the Product editor, click Pricing & Variants.
- In the far-left column, click the image field to edit it.
Style product images
How you style product images depends on which version of Squarespace your site is on.
Customize how product images appear using section styles and the Product Item tweaks in the Design panel.
To change how product thumbnail images display in Product sections, hover over the section and click the pencil icon.
You can change the spacing, columns, aspect ratio, and text alignment. You can also show or hide product prices. To change the colors, click Colors.
Product details pages
To change the way products appear on the product details page:
- In the Home Menu, click Design, then click Product Items.
- Make changes, then click Save.
You can style elements like image aspect ratio, text alignment, and product gallery design.
These are the image-specific tweaks for Classic Products Pages:
- Landing pages - Use the Product Item Size, Product Image Auto Crop, and Product Background Color tweaks to style how product images display on the landing page.
- Item pages - Use the Product Gallery Size and Product Gallery Auto Crop tweaks to set the image size and cropping for item pages.
These are the image-specific tweaks for Advanced Products Pages:
- Landing pages - Use the Image Aspect Ratio tweak in the Products: Layout section to set the shape of the images on the landing page. The images automatically crop to fit the shape.
- Item pages - Use the tweaks in the Products: Gallery section, such as Design, Aspect Ratio, Thumbnail Ailgnment, and Thumbnail Width, to style images on item pages.
For help styling product images in these templates, visit their template guides:
Special image options
Some Products Pages offer special features that let you display images in dynamic ways.
- Product Quick View - Customers can click a button to view item details in a lightbox without navigating away from the current page.
- Product Image Zoom - Customers can enlarge product images for a closer look at material, texture, and finer details.
- Alternative image on hover - This is a great way to show off a special feature, another angle, or a key detail for each product.
For help with any of these, visit Products Page special features.
Adding alt text
Adding alt text to product images identifies the content of your images for browsers and search engines. This helps your images appear in image search results, and makes your site more accessible to visitors using assistive screen readers.
When adding alt text, use short terms that describe the specific image as well as the product. For example, “Brass clasp close up” and “Floral sundress back.”