You can post a new podcast episode by adding a blog post containing an Audio Block.
Before you begin
- If you're new to podcasting, visit Podcasting with Squarespace and set up a blog to host your podcast.
- For more help posting blog posts, visit Blogging with Squarespace.
- Squarespace formats RSS feeds using the podcasting standards set by iTunes, but you can share your feed with other subscription services. This guide refers to iTunes as the default podcast subscription service.
- You can include regular blog content alongside podcast episodes. Any posts without Audio Blocks won't display in podcast clients like iTunes.
- Only use one Audio Block per post. If a post has more than one Audio Block, only the first Audio Block will appear in iTunes.
- The Audio Block only supports .mp3 files.
- The size limit for a file upload to the Audio Block is 160 MB. For larger files, we recommend hosting your file with a different source and using the External File option to add the Audio Block.
Squarespace will automatically detect the size (in bytes) and MIME type of uploaded files.
Step 1 - Add a blog post
Click your podcasting Blog Page in your navigation menu, then click the + icon in the Blog panel to add a new post.
Step 2 - Add an Audio Block
In the post editor, click an Insert Point or the +. Select Audio from the menu.
In the Embed tab, click Upload File or drag your audio file into the uploader.
After adding an audio file, the file name and file size will appear in the uploader. You can edit the title and author/artist (host).
Note: For more help with setup, visit Using the Audio Block. Click here for help using an external file.
Step 3 - Add additional iTunes podcasting tags
In the Audio Block Editor, click the Podcasting tab to add iTunes podcast attributes for this episode. This is where you can add the episode duration and the summary of the episode that appears in iTunes.
iTunes pulls the episode summary from the first available text on this list:
- iTunes Summary field
- Blog post excerpt
- Blog post body text
iTunes requires an episode duration. If an episode doesn't have a duration listed, the iTunes Store may not approve the podcast.
After you set all options for the block, click Apply to add the Audio Block to your post.
Step 4 - Publish the episode
You can add more blocks to the post if you want, but only the first Audio Block will appear in iTunes. If you didn't enter a Summary in the Podcasting tab of your Audio Block, iTunes may use summary text from your blog excerpt or Text Blocks in the post.
When your post is ready, enter a post title and click Save & Publish. You can also click Save to save the draft or set the episode to post later by scheduling the blog post.
Note: iTunes refreshes podcasts in the iTunes Store about once every 24 hours, so this is normally how long new episodes will take to appear.
Using external audio
If your audio file is larger than 160 MB, or you prefer hosting your files with another service, you can link the file to an the Audio Block using the External File option. This lets you host the file elsewhere while still syndicating it through your Squarespace RSS feed.
Use these steps to add an external file:
- Open the Audio Block Editor.
- In the Embed tab, click External.
- Add the Audio File URL.
- Enter the following information: File Size (in Bytes), Audio File Mime Type, Title, and Author / Artist.
- Click Apply.
Note: If the external service hosting the file is down, the Audio Block may appear unresponsive.