Note: This guide is available as a resource, but should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice. Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations regarding laws applicable to your site or business.
Examples of data privacy laws
The GDPR, or General Data Protection Regulation, is a European law that broadly applies to companies that process the “personal data” of individuals in Europe. Several other countries have laws similar to GDPR, including:
- Australia - The Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) to Australia’s Privacy Act
- Brazil - Lei Geral de Proteçao de Dados (LGPD)
- Canada - The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act of Canada
- Japan - Act on Protection of Personal Information
- South Korea - Personal Information Protection Act
Unlike the EU, the U.S. doesn’t have one data privacy law of general applicability. However, there are several industry-specific federal laws that relate to data privacy. For example:
- The Graham-Leach-Bliley Act (The Financial Modernization Act) regarding financial information
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regarding protected health information
Recently, some U.S. states have passed state-specific laws about data privacy and data security, including the California Consumer Privacy Act and the Nevada Privacy Act.
Managing your personal data on Squarespace
You can access, update, and delete personal data in your account, including:
- Your account email address
- Your connected accounts
- Your contributor profile
- Expired or cancelled sites
You can also permanently delete your account.
To request that we remove other specific data from our system, whether it’s your own data or visitor data we store on your behalf, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Designing your site for compliance
These guides cover the ways in which Squarespace helps you comply with data privacy laws, and what you should know as a Squarespace site owner.
- GDPR and Squarespace
- CCPA and Squarespace
- Acuity Scheduling and HIPAA
- Squarespace and HIPAA
- The cookies Squarespace uses
Tip: If your business is a large corporation or enterprise looking for premium support, you may require a custom solution to meet your contracting, payment, or support needs. To learn more, contact our Enterprise team.