Resources to help you better understand and comply with data privacy laws.
Note: This guide is available as a resource, but should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice. Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations regarding laws applicable to your site or business.
Examples of data privacy laws
The General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR or UK GDPR) are European Union and UK laws that broadly apply to companies that process the “personal data” of individuals in the EU and the UK. Several other countries have laws similar to GDPR, including:
- Australia - The Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) to Australia’s Privacy Act
- Brazil - Lei Geral de Proteçao de Dados (LGPD)
- Canada - The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act of Canada
- Japan - Act on Protection of Personal Information
- South Korea - Personal Information Protection Act
- Unlike the EU, the U.S. doesn’t have one data privacy law of general applicability. However, there are several industry-specific federal data privacy laws and some states have passed their own data privacy laws. Read more about data privacy laws in the United States.
Removing your or your customers’ personal data from Squarespace
You can access, update, or delete personal data in your account, including:
- Your account email address
- Your contributor profile
- Your connected accounts
- Expired or canceled sites
You can also delete your account via the self-service option, after you have taken the appropriate steps.
When you’re logged into Squarespace, you can access most of your customers’ personal data. For some products, you can also update or delete your customers’ personal data yourself. If you receive a request to update or delete a particular piece of personal data about one of your customers, and you're unable to do so, contact us at email@example.com. To request that we remove other data from our system, either your own data or visitor/customer data we store on your behalf, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Designing your site for compliance
These guides cover the ways in which Squarespace helps you comply with data privacy laws, and what you should know if you use our services.
- GDPR and Squarespace
- Data Privacy Laws in the United States
- Acuity Scheduling and HIPAA
- The cookies Squarespace uses
Tip: If your business is a large corporation or enterprise looking for premium support, you may require a custom solution to meet your contracting, payment, or support needs. To learn more, visit our Enterprise page.