Create a portfolio comprised of different sub-pages where you can organize and showcase your projects.
Use portfolio pages to create stylized landing pages that link visitors to sub-pages. This is a great way to organize and showcase galleries, projects, portfolio highlights, and other content in one place.
This guide is for version 7.1. For a similar effect in version 7.0, use a template with a grid index page or create featured image navigation. In the Squarespace app, you can't add new portfolio pages or edit sub-pages.
Add a portfolio page
To add a portfolio page:
- Open the Pages panel, then click + next to the navigation section where you want to add the page.
- In the menu, click Portfolio and choose a layout. You can change this later.
- Enter a page title and press Enter.
- Click Edit, then click the pencil icon to style the section.
- Click + to add a sub-page or click an existing sub-page, then click Edit to add your own content.
- Add and edit more sub-pages until your portfolio page is complete.
It's not possible to add blocks to the portfolio section of a portfolio page, but you can add block sections above or below the portfolio section.
Portfolio page layouts
Choose one of the following portfolio page layouts:
- Grid: Simple - Arranges the featured images in a grid layout. Title text for each sub-page appears below the images.
- Grid: Overlay - Arranges the featured images in a grid layout. Title text for each sub-page overlays the images.
- Hover: Background - Displays the sub-page titles in a stacked or inline layout. When hovering over a title, the sub-page featured image replaces the section background.
- Hover: Fixed - Displays the sub-page titles in a stacked or inline layout. When hovering over a title, the sub-page featured image displays smaller in a fixed position in the section.
- Hover: Follow Cursor - Displays the sub-page titles in a stacked or inline layout. When hovering over a title, the sub-page featured image displays smaller and follows the cursor as it moves.
To change the layout:
- Click Edit on the portfolio page.
- Hover over the portfolio section and click the pencil icon.
- Under the Format tab, use the Layout drop-down menu to select the layout you want. Each layout has its own styling options.
- Click Save to save your changes and keep editing, or click Exit and then Save to close the editor.
Add a sub-page
Sub-pages are where you'll add the content for your portfolio. Sub-pages display as images or links on your portfolio page, which visitors click to open the sub-pages.
Use sub-pages to organize your work or projects. For example, if you're a photographer, you can use sub-pages to categorize your images. If you're a graphic designer, you can use sub-pages to showcase work you've done for different clients.
To add a sub-page:
- In the pages panel, click your portfolio page, then click +.
- Choose a layout or click Add a blank project.
- In the General tab of project settings, add a featured image and title, and edit the URL slug. Title sub-pages to give visitors a sense of the project's content.
- Click SEO to add an SEO title and SEO description.
- Click Social image to add an alternate social sharing image.
- Click Save to create the sub-page.
- Click Edit on the sub-page to add content.
- Click Save to publish your changes.
Keep in mind:
- You can add up to 60 sub-pages to a portfolio page.
- It’s not currently possible to move sub-pages between portfolio pages.
- It's not possible to turn sub-pages into standalone pages outside the portfolio. Sub-pages are collection items, dependent on the main portfolio collection page, similar to blog posts in a blog page.
- Portfolio sub-pages can't be individually password protected, disabled, or hidden from search engine results. To hide portfolio sub-pages temporarily, password protect the entire portfolio page or disable it.
Add content to sub-pages
Portfolio sub-pages are built from page sections, which means any type of content you can add to a layout page, you can also add to a portfolio sub-page. To add and edit content on a portfolio sub-page:
- Click the sub-page, then click Edit.
- Edit content on existing sections, or click Add Section to add a new one.
You can add the following section types, each of which have their own method of adding content:
- Block sections - Add blocks of content, including text, images, products, maps, forms, third-party integrations, and more. This page section has the most versatile selection of content.
- Gallery sections - Add galleries of images with optional captions in a variety of layouts. These are ideal for showcasing photography, graphic design projects, or other visual art. After clicking Add section, click Images to find gallery sections.
- Auto layouts - Add sets of images, text, and button links. After clicking Add section, click layouts with an i icon in their top-right corner to add auto layouts. These are ideal for showcasing images with more text or link to other projects.
Add multiple sections and section types to each sub-page as needed.
Portfolio sub-pages display pagination links to the next and previous sub-pages in the portfolio at the bottom of the page. It's not possible to hide these. To style the font and color of pagination, visit Styling portfolio pages.
Add, edit, or remove a featured image
You can change the featured image of a sub-page at any time. To replace a demo image or to add an image to a blank sub-page, follow these steps:
- In the pages panel, click your portfolio page.
- In the left panel, hover over the sub-page and click ..., then click Settings.
- If you're removing a demo image or a previously added image, click Remove Image first.
- To add an image from your computer, click Image.
- To edit the image, click Image Editor.
- After making changes, click Save.
To rearrange the order of a portfolio page, click and drag the sub-pages in the side panel.
Edit sub-page settings
To edit general, SEO, and social settings of sub-pages:
- In the Pages panel, click your Portfolio Page.
- Hover over a sub-page in the side panel.
- Click ..., then click Settings.
- Click Save to publish your changes.
To delete a sub-page:
- In the Pages panel, click your portfolio page.
- Hover over a sub-page in the side panel
- Click ..., click Delete, then click Confirm. This action can't be undone.
It's not possible to delete the portfolio section as a whole from the page. To learn more, visit Collection page sections.