Shopping on Instagram allows approved Instagram business profiles to tag products in posts. When you tag a product, Instagram users can view product details and tap a Shop Now button to buy the product on your site without leaving the app.
This is a great way to share products with followers and reach a wider audience through hashtag discovery. Once you’ve completed the setup process and are approved by Instagram, you can tag your products wherever they appear in your posts. In this guide, we'll show you how to import your inventory to a Facebook Business Manager account and begin tagging products once Instagram approves your profile.
- Ensure your products follow Facebook's Commerce Policies and Instagram-Specific Policies.
- Your business must be located in one of Instagram's supported countries. For a current list, visit Instagram's documentation.
- This feature is only available on the Commerce Basic or Advanced plan .
What you’ll need
To tag products in Instagram, you'll need all of the following:
- The most recent version of the Instagram app
- An Instagram business profile (Follow Step 1 to prepare your Instagram account)
- A Facebook Business Manager account
- A Facebook Page
- A Squarespace site selling physical products (digital and service products aren’t supported)
- Instagram’s approval
Ensure that you follow the steps in the order listed in this guide. To avoid issues, the accounts need to be added in a specific order.
Note: Instagram, Facebook Business Manager, and the store approval process falls outside the scope of our support. This means we’re unable to help with setup, troubleshooting, or Instagram’s approval process.
Step 1 - Prepare your Instagram account
If you have a personal Instagram profile, continue to Step 2 in this guide.
If you have a business Instagram profile, revert it to a personal profile. (You’ll upgrade back to a business profile later in this process):
Note: Switching from a business profile to a personal account erases any insights data from your business profile.
- In your Instagram profile settings, tap Switch Back to Personal Account.
- Tap Switch Back to confirm.
Step 2 - Add your Facebook Page to Facebook Business Manager
To add your Facebook Page to your Facebook Business Manager:
- In your Facebook Business Manager account, click Business Settings.
- Under Accounts, click Pages.
- Click + Add.
- To add an existing Facebook Page, click Add a Page. To create a new page, click Create a New Page.
- Follow Facebook Business Manager’s instructions to complete the process.
Step 3 - Convert your personal Instagram profile to a business profile
Convert your personal Instagram profile to a business profile and reconnect your Facebook page:
- In your Instagram settings, scroll down and tap Switch to Business Profile.
- Tap Continue until you reach the Connect to Facebook page.
- Tap Choose page.
- Select the Facebook Page you added to Facebook Business Manager.
- Tap Next.
- Add your phone number, and then tap Done.
Note: The Facebook Page you connect to your business Instagram account must be the same one you added to Facebook Business Manager.
Step 4 - Add your Instagram business profile to Facebook Business Manager
To add your Instagram business profile to your Facebook Business Manager:
- In your Facebook Business manager account, click Business Settings.
- Under Accounts, click Instagram Accounts.
- Click + Add.
- Enter your Instagram username and password.
- You don’t need to add accounts to complete this process. Click Skip.
- Click Done.
Step 5 - Import your Squarespace Inventory to Facebook Business Manager
Note: The product catalog for tagging products on Instagram is separate from Facebook ads. If you’ve already created a catalog for Facebook ads, you should still follow all steps in this guide to create another catalog for Instagram. This won’t affect your product ads on Facebook.
This is a two step process:
1. Create a catalog in Facebook Business Manager
After setting up your accounts, create a catalog in your Facebook Business Manager account:
- Log into the Facebook Business Manager account.
- Click the ☰ icon in the top-left corner.
- Under Assets, click Catalogs.
- Click Create Catalog.
- Select E-commerce and click Next.
- Select Upload Product info as the method for adding products to your catalog.
- Under Catalog owner, choose the Facebook Page your catalog will belong to.
- Under Catalog name, enter a name for this catalog.
- Click Create.
- You'll see a Diagnostics page with recommendations for your catalog. You can ignore these recommendations for now and instead click Products at the top of the page.
Note: If you see an Add Your Products page at this point instead, click the select another upload method link at the top of the screen instead.
2. Import your Squarespace products to the new catalog
Note: Before importing your products, disable your site-wide password, or page-specific password if it applies to your Products Page. You can enable it after the import is complete.
To add your products to your Facebook Business Manager catalog, import them using a data feed. Facebook will use this feed to regularly check your site for new products.
To import your inventory, follow these steps:
- In the Products tab, click Add Products.
- Select Use Data Feed and click Next.
- Select Set a Schedule.
- In a new window, log into your Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing, then click Products on Instagram.
- Click Copy.
- In the Facebook Business Manager window, scroll down to Add Data Feed URL.
- Paste the URL you copied in the previous step.
Note: You don't need to enter login details for your data feed.
- Set a schedule for automatic uploads, enter a data feed name, and select a default currency.
- Click Start Upload. The data feed will import up to 2000 published products, starting with the most recently added.
- Your data feed will begin uploading. Once it finishes, click Done.
To check your upload, click the Data Sources tab. If the upload was successful, in the Status column you'll see the words All Good.
Note: If you see an error in the Status column, ensure your site has a site title.
Inventory data feed
In the Data Source Name column, you can click your data feed URL to view more information. This includes the next upload date, the last upload, the number of products uploaded, and a few examples from your inventory.
The following information is imported with your inventory:
- Line - The row this product appears on in your .csv file.
- id - A unique identifying number
- title - The product name
- description - The primary product description. Text from the Additional Information section isn't imported.
- price - Instagram doesn't support price ranges, so this displays the lowest product price.
Note: Squarespace doesn't support Google Product Categories at this time. The google_product_category will appear blank. This field isn't used by Instagram and won't affect your ability to tag products in Instagram.
Step 6 - Wait for Instagram approval
Once you've correctly linked your Instagram business profile and Facebook Business Manager account and imported your inventory, Instagram will review your store.
There is no submit button or application—Instagram will automatically begin the review process once everything is set up correctly. This can take several days or longer and the timing is out of Squarespace's control. For more information, visit Instagram's documentation.
To see if your store is approved, in your Instagram account, click Settings, scroll down to Business Settings, and click Shopping. If you've added multiple data sources, ensure the correct one is checked.
Step 7 - Tag products in Instagram
The option to tag products will now be available for every time you post and on your previous posts. To get started, create or edit an Instagram post, and click Tag Products. For help, visit Instagram's documentation.
New products added to your store will become taggable once they import to your catalog on the schedule you selected in Step 5.
If you can’t tag products, visit Instagram's I've connected my catalog to Instagram. Why can't I tag products in my posts? guide.
When you've tagged a product, a shopping bag icon appears on the post. Instagram users can click the post to view product tags, then click any product tag to view:
- A product photo
- Product name
- Price (if variants of the product have different prices, the lowest price will display.)
- A Shop Now button that opens the product on your site.
Note: If you post Instagram ads, it isn’t possible to promote a post with tagged products.
After tagging products in Instagram, visit Traffic Sources to measure success and track conversion.
Keep in mind:
- The Facebook Page you connect to Facebook Business Manager must be the same as the page connected to your Instagram business profile.
- You can only tag physical products on Instagram. Digital and service products aren’t supported.
- Products you import to your Facebook Business Manager catalogue won’t appear in your Facebook Shop section, which is a separate Facebook feature unrelated to tagging products on Instagram.
- Sale prices don't currently display for tagged products.
- If variants of the product have different prices, the lowest price will display.
- "Blank google_product_category" - You can ignore this message. The field isn’t used by Instagram and won’t affect your ability to tag products.
- "Unsupported file format" - If you see this message after importing your data to Facebook, visit Facebook’s documentation to troubleshoot the issue.