Advertise your goods and services across social platforms.
You can use Squarespace's integration with Facebook and Instagram to sync your products so you can sell and advertise directly from posts, stories, and shops on your profile or page.
Facebook and Instagram stores display images and details along with a link that leads to the product details page on your site for purchase, and any updates you make to the products on your site automatically sync to these stores hourly.
This is a great way to reach your audience where they’re already spending their time, share products with followers, and attract new customers.
This feature is available in the Commerce Basic and Advanced plans.
Before you begin
Selling products on Facebook and Instagram requires syncing several platforms and accounts: Squarespace, Meta Business Manager, Facebook, and Instagram. You'll add products directly to your Squarespace site, sync those products with a catalog in Meta Business Manager, then sell, advertise, and tag those products on Facebook and Instagram.
Before you begin syncing, ensure your Squarespace site has:
- A store selling physical products (digital and service products aren’t supported). Ensure that each product includes an image, name, and description, or it won't sync. The image should be a minimum of 500px × 500px.
- A site title, even if your site uses a logo. Meta Business Manager uses this when helping you create any new accounts.
- Only products that follow Meta's commerce policies.
- No site-wide password enabled. You can’t sync your product catalog while this is active.
As part of the syncing process, you'll connect multiple types of accounts related to your Facebook account, including a:
- Business Manager account for managing the business.
- Facebook Page for your business.
- Meta Pixel to track ad and store performance.
- Ad account for managing ads.
You can create these accounts during the syncing process or use any existing account already connected to your Facebook account or Business Manager account. To speed up and simplify the syncing process, you may want to create these accounts before starting.
To tag products on Instagram without using Meta Pixel, manually set up Instagram Shopping.
Tip: Learn more about boosting sales by visiting Increasing your store's sales.
Sync your products with Facebook and Instagram
To sync your products:
- Open the Commerce panel and click Facebook and Instagram.
- Click Connect With Facebook.
- Facebook will prompt you to log in or confirm that the account you've already logged into is the one you'd like to use for the syncing process. You'll log in with your personal account, and select your business page later.
- Select which of the three features you'd like to use with your products:
- Continue following the prompts that Facebook gives you to connect or create accounts until the process is complete.
Keep in mind:
- If you encounter any errors in this process, such as a Something Went Wrong message, visit Meta's Account Quality page to check for and resolve any errors. You can also visit the Meta Business Help Center for support. After the error is resolved, restart the sync process.
- After syncing, Instagram and Facebook will review your store before allowing you to sell or tag products. This review usually takes between 24 and 48 hours. Squarespace can't influence or predict the timing.
If you decide you'd like to use a feature you didn't select during the sync, use your synced catalog in the Meta Business Manager to follow their documented setup process.
What syncs between Squarespace and Meta
Syncing Squarespace with Facebook and Instagram shares the following product details between your site's store page and the stores on those platforms:
- ID - A unique identifying number
- Title - The product name
- Description - The primary product description. Text from the additional info section isn't imported.
- Image - The product's primary image. Only one image imports per product.
- Price - The lowest price for the product (not the full price range).
- Availability - Whether or not there's at least one of the product in stock.
Any updates you make to the products on your site automatically sync with your stores on Facebook and Instagram hourly.
Manage your shop on Facebook and Instagram
After Facebook and Instagram review and approve your products, a store appears on the Facebook Page or Instagram profile you connected during the sync. Facebook and Instagram stores display images and details along with a link that leads to the product details page on your site for purchase.
Customers should always be directed to your Squarespace site, and they need to make their purchases on Squarespace for their orders to appear in the orders panel. If they manage to place an order through Facebook, you won't be able to fulfill it in Squarespace, and it may display a message in Facebook that says Order pending acknowledgement from Squarespace. If this happens, contact Meta's support.
Afterpay and Clearpay
Customers may have trouble checking out with Afterpay or Clearpay using Instagram's mobile browser. If your customer is having issues, recommend checking out on a computer.
Create Facebook ads for your products
After you sync your products, you can begin creating ad campaigns. Facebook's dynamic ads help you target customers using data provided by Meta Pixel and promote products in your inventory relevant to their interests. Facebook's dynamic ads can help you:
- Automatically promote products to people who’ve expressed interest in your store.
- Show people products tailored to their interests, even if they haven’t visited your site.
- Retarget customers who left your site without making a purchase, reminding them of the product they viewed.
Tip: Create professional quality videos to showcase your products with the Video Studio app. Feature the videos on your site, or share them on your social media platforms. Then export your videos and use them for your Facebook video ads. Learn more about Video Studio.
Note: If you're using the URL Builder, you can still create Facebook ads for your products. The URL Builder tracks traffic to a specific page of your site from an ad, while this process tracks traffic and sales of specific products from an ad.
Tag products on Instagram
After Instagram reviews and approves your store, the option to tag products will be available for every new story, new post, and your previous posts. When you tag a product, Instagram users can view details and tap a View on Website button to visit the product details page on your site and purchase.
Keep in mind:
- When you add a new product to your Squarespace store, it'll be available to tag on Instagram after the next hourly sync.
- If you can’t tag products, visit Instagram's troubleshooting guide.
- After tagging products in Instagram, visit Traffic Sources to measure success and track conversion.
Set up Instagram Shopping without Meta Pixel
To tag products on Instagram without using Meta Pixel:
- Create a catalog in Meta's Commerce Manager tool. When creating, select Upload Product Info as the way you'll add items to the catalog.
- Upload items to that catalog using a scheduled data feed, which is a URL you'll copy from Squarespace and paste into Commerce Manager.
- To find your site's data feed URL:
- Instagram will take 24 to 48 hours to review your store. After it's approved, you'll be able to tag products as described above.
If you encounter any errors in this process, visit the Meta Business Help Center for support.
Disconnect your products
Before you disconnect, keep in mind that doing so will:
- Delete your products from the catalog in Meta Business Manager
- Break any links to tagged products in posts or ads
To stop syncing your products with Facebook and Instagram:
- Open the Commerce panel and click Facebook and Instagram.
- Click Disconnect, then click Disconnect again in the window that appears.
Who to contact for support
Instagram, Facebook, Meta Business Manager, and any Instagram or Facebook approval process fall outside the scope of Squarespace support.