You can use Squarespace's integration with Shopping on Instagram to tag products in posts and stories. When you tag a product, Instagram users can view details and tap a Shop Now button to buy the product on your site without leaving the app.
This Instagram integration is a great way to reach your audience where they’re already spending their time, share products with followers, and attract new customers.
In this guide, we'll show you how to complete the setup and approval process, import your inventory, and start tagging products after Instagram approves your profile.
This feature is available in the Commerce Basic and Advanced plans .
- Ensure your products follow Facebook's Commerce Policies and Instagram-Specific Policies.
- Your business must be located in one of Instagram's supported countries.
What you’ll need
To tag products in Instagram, you'll need to meet their set up requirements, including all of the following:
- The most recent version of the Instagram app.
- An Instagram profile — you’ll start with a personal profile, then convert it to a professional account.
- A Facebook Business Manager account
- A Facebook Page
- A Squarespace site selling physical products. Digital and service products aren’t supported.
- Instagram’s approval after following the steps in this guide.
Ensure that you follow the steps in the order listed in this guide. To avoid issues, the accounts need to be added in a specific order. It helps to open every service you need before getting started:
- Open the Instagram App on a mobile device.
- Open your Facebook Business Manager on a desktop.
- Open your Squarespace site in a separate tab on a desktop.
Step 1 - Prepare your Instagram account
If you have a personal Instagram profile, continue to Step 2 in this guide.
If you have a professional account, switch it to a personal profile. You'll need to make this switch for the process to work, and you'll switch it back to a business account in a later step.
To switch from a business to personal Instagram account:
- In your Instagram profile, swipe left, then tap Settings.
- Scroll down and tap Switch Back to Personal Account.
- Tap Switch Back to confirm.
Note that switching from a business profile to a personal account, even temporarily, resets insights data from your business profile.
Step 2 - Add your Facebook Page to Facebook Business Manager
To add your Facebook Page to your Facebook Business Manager:
- In your Facebook Business Manager account, click Business Settings.
- Under Accounts, click Pages.
- Click + Add.
- To add an existing Facebook Page, click Add a Page. To create a new page, click Create a New Page.
- Follow Facebook Business Manager’s prompts to complete the process.
Step 3 - Convert your personal Instagram profile to a professional account
Convert your personal Instagram profile to a professional account and reconnect your Facebook page:
- In your Instagram profile, swipe left, then tap Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Scroll down and tap Switch to Professional Account.
- Follow the steps to categorize your business.
- Review your contact information, then tap Next.
- Adjust your settings, and tap Done.
- On the next page, tap Choose page to connect a Facebook Page.
- Select the Facebook Page you added to Facebook Business Manager.
Note: The Facebook Page you connect here must be the same one you added to your Facebook Business Manager.
- Tap Next.
- Add your phone number, then tap Done.
Step 4 - Add your Instagram business profile to Facebook Business Manager
Next, add your Instagram business profile to your Facebook Business Manager:
- In your Facebook Business manager account, click Business Settings.
- Under Accounts, click Instagram Accounts.
- Click + Add.
- Enter your Instagram username and password.
- You don’t need to add accounts to complete this process. Click Skip.
- Click Done.
Step 5 - Import your Squarespace Inventory to Facebook Business Manager
Note: The product catalog for Instagram Shopping is separate from Facebook ads. If you already have a catalog for Facebook ads, still follow all steps in this guide to create another catalog for Instagram. This won’t affect your product ads on Facebook.
This is a two step process:
1. Create a catalog in Facebook Business Manager
After setting up your accounts, create a catalog in your Facebook Business Manager account:
- Log into the Facebook Business Manager account.
- Click the ☰ icon in the top-left corner.
- Under Assets, click Catalogs.
- Click Create Catalog.
- Select E-commerce, and click Next.
- Select Upload Product Info as the method for adding products to your catalog. (Don't select Connect E-commerce Platform — this option won't work, but Upload Product Info will.)
- Under Catalog owner, choose the Facebook Page your catalog will belong to.
- Under Catalog name, enter a name for this catalog.
- Click Create.
- Click View Catalog.
- You'll see a Diagnostics page with recommendations for your catalog. Ignore these recommendations for now, and click Products at the top of the page.
Note: If you see an Add Your Products page at this step instead, click the select another upload method link at the top of the screen.
2. Import your Squarespace products to the new catalog
Note: Before importing your products, disable your site-wide password, or page-specific password if it applies to your Products Page. You can enable it after the import is complete.
To add your products to your Facebook Business Manager catalog, import them using a data feed. Facebook will use this feed to regularly check your site for new products.
To import your inventory:
- In the Products tab, click Add Products.
- Select Use Data Feed and click Next.
- Select Set a Schedule.
- In a new window, log into your Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing, then click Products on Instagram.
- Click Copy.
- In the Facebook Business Manager window, scroll down to Add Data Feed URL.
- Paste the URL you copied in the previous step.
Note: You don't need to enter login details for your data feed.
- Set a schedule for automatic uploads, enter a data feed name, and select a default currency.
- Click Start Upload. The data feed will import up to 2,000 published products, starting with the most recently added.
- Your data feed will begin uploading. After it finishes, click Done.
To check your upload, click the Data Sources tab. If the upload was successful, in the Status column you'll see the words All Good.
Note: If you see an error in the Status column, ensure your site has a site title.
Inventory data feed
In the Data Source Name column, you can click your data feed URL to view more information. This includes the next upload date, the last upload, the number of products uploaded, and a few examples from your inventory.
The following information is imported with your inventory:
- Line - The row this product appears on in your .csv file.
- id - A unique identifying number
- title - The product name
- description - The primary product description. Text from the Additional Information section isn't imported.
- price - Instagram doesn't support price ranges, so this displays the lowest product price.
Note: Squarespace doesn't support Google Product Categories at this time. The google_product_category will appear blank. Instagram doesn't use this field, and it won't affect your ability to tag products in Instagram.
Step 6 - Wait for Instagram approval
After you've correctly linked your Instagram business profile and Facebook Business Manager account and imported your inventory, Instagram will review your store.
There's no submit button or application—Instagram will automatically begin the review process after everything is set up correctly. This can take several days or longer, and the timing is out of Squarespace's control. For more information, visit Instagram's documentation.
After your store is approved, you’ll get a notification in the Instagram app, and you’ll see a Shopping option in your Instagram account.
To check on your approval:
- In your Instagram account, tap Settings, then scroll down to Business Settings.
- If you see a Shopping option, your store is approved and you can begin tagging products.
- If you don’t see a Shopping option, your account is likely still under review.
Tag products in Instagram
After your store is approved, the option to tag products will be available for every new story, new post, and your previous posts. For help, visit Instagram's documentation.
Keep in mind:
- When you add a new product to your store, it'll be available to tag on Instagram based on the import schedule you selected in Step 5.
- If you can’t tag products, visit Instagram's troubleshooting guide.
- If you advertise on Instagram, it's not possible to promote a post with tagged products.
How tagged posts appear
After you tagged a product in a post, a shopping bag icon appears on the post. Instagram users can tap on the post to view the tagged products, and then click a tag to view:
- A product photo
- Product name
- Price - If variants of the product have different prices, the lowest price will display. The sale price won't display.
- A Shop Now button that opens the product on your site.
Track success in Analytics
After tagging products in Instagram, visit Traffic Sources to measure success and track conversion.
Keep in mind:
- The Facebook Page you connect to Facebook Business Manager must be the same as the page connected to your Instagram business profile.
- Products you import to your Facebook Business Manager catalog won’t appear in your Facebook Shop section, which is a separate Facebook feature unrelated to tagging products on Instagram.
- "Blank google_product_category" - You can ignore this message. The field isn’t used by Instagram and won’t affect your ability to tag products.
- "Unsupported file format" - If you see this message after importing your data to Facebook, visit Facebook’s documentation to troubleshoot the issue.
Who to contact for support
Instagram, Facebook Business Manager, and Instagram's approval process fall outside the scope of Squarespace support.