You can use Squarespace's integration with Instagram Shopping to tag products in posts and stories. When you tag a product, Instagram users can view details and tap a View on Website button to buy the product on your site without leaving the app.
This Instagram integration is a great way to reach your audience where they’re already spending their time, share products with followers, and attract new customers.
This feature is available in the Commerce Basic and Advanced plans .
Before you begin
To tag products in Instagram, you must:
- Have an Instagram Business account in one of Instagram's supported countries.
- Ensure your products follow Facebook's Commerce Policies.
- Have a Squarespace site selling physical products. Digital and service products aren’t supported.
- Meet Instagram's set up requirements.
- Have the same Facebook Page connect to both your Facebook Business Manager and your Instagram business profile.
Set up Instagram Shopping
For full instructions on how to set up Instagram Shopping, visit the Instagram Help Center.
Tips for importing your Squarespace Inventory to Facebook Business Manager
In the process of opening an Instagram shopfront, you will create a catalog in Facebook Business Manager and import your Squarespace products into this new catalog. This catalog is separate from Facebook ads; if you already have a catalog for Facebook ads, still follow all steps in the Facebook guide to create another catalog for Instagram Shopping.
Note: Before importing your products into the catalog, disable your site-wide password, or page-specific password if it applies to your Products Page. You can enable it after the import is complete.
When you add your products to your Facebook Business Manager catalog, import them using a data feed with an automatic file upload schedule. You will be prompted to enter a Data feed URL, which you can locate in your Squarespace site:
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing.
- Click Products on Instagram.
- Click the Copy button.
Inventory data feed
The following information is imported with each Squarespace product in your inventory:
- id - A unique identifying number
- title - The product name
- description - The primary product description. Text from the additional info section isn't imported.
- price - Instagram doesn't support price ranges, so this displays the lowest product price.
Instagram Shopping approval
After you've correctly linked your Instagram business profile and Facebook Business Manager account and imported your inventory, Instagram will review your store. There's no submit button or application—Instagram will automatically begin the review process after everything is set up correctly. This can take several days or longer, and the timing is out of Squarespace's control.
After your store is approved, you’ll get a notification in the Instagram app, and you’ll see a Shopping option in your Instagram account.
Tag products in Instagram
After your store is approved, the option to tag products will be available for every new story, new post, and your previous posts. For help, visit Instagram's documentation.
Keep in mind:
- When you add a new product to your store, it'll be available to tag on Instagram based on the import schedule you selected during the catalog setup process.
- If you can’t tag products, visit Instagram's troubleshooting guide.
- If you advertise on Instagram, it's not possible to promote a post with tagged products.
Track success in Analytics
After tagging products in Instagram, visit Traffic Sources to measure success and track conversion.
Troubleshooting error messages
- "Blank google_product_category" - You can ignore this message. The field isn’t used by Instagram and won’t affect your ability to tag products.
- "Unsupported file format" - If you see this message after importing your data to Facebook, visit Facebook’s documentation to troubleshoot the issue.
- Products appear to be out of stock in the shop on my Facebook Page - This is expected. This guide is for importing products to your Facebook Business Manager catalog, which is required for tagging products on Instagram and is unrelated to Facebook Page shops.
Who to contact for support
Instagram, Facebook Business Manager, and Instagram's approval process fall outside the scope of Squarespace support.