An API (Application Programming Interface) lets developers build integrations with other software.
In this guide, you’ll learn about the Squarespace API and what to do with your unique API keys.
This guide provides a general overview of Squarespace API keys. For detailed information, visit the API developer documentation.
For help with Zapier, visit Adding form integrations with Zapier.
The Squarespace API is a Premium feature:
- Forms API (for Zapier integration) is available on Business and Commerce plans.
- Orders API is available in the Commerce Advanced plan.
- Inventory API is available in the Commerce Advanced plan.
About our API
What you can build
With our API, you can build direct integrations with other software. Create a Forms API key to use our integration with Zapier, or create an Orders API key to build your own custom Commerce tools. Our Orders API provides access to orders placed through the Commerce platform and includes the ability to mark orders as fulfilled. Create an Inventory API key to sync your inventory with third-party software.
Using the data we provide access to through our API, you can:
- Connect to a third-party fulfillment or shipping application
- Sync your inventory with other sales channels or inventory management systems
- Send order confirmation emails through third-party software
- Automate shipping label printing
- Connect to our Zapier integration
Note: At this stage, our API doesn’t support OAuth authentication for third-party apps.
API key security
Your unique API key is a randomized string of characters which permits authenticated access to your Squarespace account. You can create a new key using the steps below.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Advanced.
- Click Squarespace API Keys.
- Click Create Key.
- Enter a Key Name.
- Under API Key Scope, check Orders, Forms, or Inventory. Forms are available in the Business plan, and Orders and Inventory are only available in the Commerce Advanced plan.
- Click Next.
- Copy your unique API key.
When you get this key:
- Keep it secure. Treat your API key like you would treat any account password.
- Copy and save it for your records. For security, we don’t store your API key. There’s no way to retrieve it after you close the window, but if you lose it, you can always create a new one.
You can follow these steps again to create multiple keys.
You can connect Form Blocks, Newsletter Blocks, and Cover Page forms to the online automation tool Zapier. This lets you create Zaps, a type of automated workflow, which use form submissions to trigger additional Zapier integrations like Slack, Trello, ConvertKit, Salesforce and more. This can help you save time by connecting Squarespace to useful tools and automating processes.
For help, visit Adding forms integrations with Zapier.
Here are a few notable integrations third-party companies and developers created with our Orders API. These integrations build on the features of Squarespace Commerce and can help you streamline your business operations.
Note: These aren't official Squarespace integrations, and they fall outside the scope of our support. We can’t guarantee their functionality or full compatibility with Squarespace. For help with these third-party services, contact them directly.
Printful is an on-demand printing service that prints and ships custom designs. You can use this integration to automatically fulfill orders. To learn more, visit Setting up drop shipping with Printful.
TaxJar automates sales tax calculation and filing. You can use this integration to file sales taxes and manage tax deadlines across multiple states. To learn more, visit Automating sales tax with TaxJar.
Use the Inventory API to sync your inventory in Squarespace with inventory management systems. This is a great option to simplify your inventory management when you sell products on multiple platforms or if you need to keep stock in sync between Squarespace and a warehouse. The Inventory API allows a third-party system to:
- Get a list of all variants in your store
- Get the inventory level for those variants
- Update the inventory level for each variant
To learn more about using the inventory API, visit our developer documentation.
Can I build an integration with _____ using the API?
Our APIs support a wide variety of use cases, but it's up to the developer to understand their goals and determine whether an integration is possible using our developer documentation.
What third-party integrations are available?
The Orders and Inventory APIs are designed for merchants to build their own custom integrations. We aren’t announcing any other third-party integrations at this time.
Where to go for support
- If you’re a developer, visit the API documentation.
- While troubleshooting APIs falls outside of the scope of Squarespace support, feel free to contact us with general questions.