An API (Application Programming Interface) lets developers build integrations with other software.
In this guide, you’ll learn about the Squarespace API and what to do with your unique API keys.
This guide provides a general overview of Squarespace API keys. For detailed information, visit the API developer documentation.
For help with Zapier, visit Adding form integrations with Zapier.
The Squarespace Orders API is a premium feature available in the current Website Business plan and higher:
- Forms API (for Zapier integration) - Available in all Business and Commerce plans
- Orders API - Available in the Commerce Advanced plan
To learn more, visit Premium features.
About our API
What you can build
With our API, you can build direct integrations with other software. Create a Forms API key to use our integration with Zapier, or create an Orders API key to build your own custom Commerce tools. Our Orders API provides access to orders placed through the Commerce platform and includes the ability to mark orders as fulfilled.
Using the data we provide access to through our API, you can:
- Connect to a third-party fulfillment or shipping application
- Send order confirmation emails through third-party software
- Automate shipping label printing
- Connect to our Zapier integration
Note: At this stage, our API doesn’t support OAuth authentication for third-party apps.
API key security
Your unique API key is a randomized string of characters which permits authenticated access to your Squarespace account. You can create a new key using the steps below.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Advanced.
- Click API Keys.
- Click Create Key.
- Enter a Key Name.
- Under API Key Scope, check Orders or Forms. Orders only appears in the Commerce Advanced plan.
- Click Next.
- Copy your unique API key.
When you get this key:
- Keep it secure. Treat your API key like you would treat any account password.
- Copy and save it for your records. For security, we don’t store your API key. There’s no way to retrieve it once you close the window, but if you lose it, you can always create a new one.
You can follow these steps again to create multiple keys.
You can connect Form and Newsletter Blocks to the online automation tool Zapier. This lets you create Zaps, a type of automated workflow, which use form submissions to trigger additional Zapier integrations like Slack, Trello, ConvertKit, Salesforce and more. This can help you save time by connecting Squarespace to useful tools and automating processes.
For help, visit Adding forms integrations with Zapier.
Here are a few notable integrations third-party companies and developers created with our Orders API. These integrations build on the features of Squarespace Commerce and can help you streamline your business operations.
Note: These aren't official Squarespace integrations, and they fall outside the scope of our support. We can’t guarantee their functionality or full compatibility with Squarespace. For help with these third-party services, contact them directly.
Printful is an on-demand printing service that prints and ships custom designs. You can use this integration to automatically fulfill orders. To learn more, visit Setting up drop shipping with Printful.
TaxJar automates sales tax calculation and filing. You can use this integration to file sales taxes and manage tax deadlines across multiple states. To learn more, visit Automating sales tax with TaxJar.
Can I build an integration with _____ using the API?
The Orders API supports a wide variety of use cases, but it's up to the developer to understand their goals and determine whether an integration is possible using our developer documentation.
What third-party integrations are available?
The Orders API is designed for merchants to build their own custom integrations. We aren’t announcing any other third-party integrations at this time.
Where to go for support
- If you’re a developer, visit the API documentation.
- While troubleshooting APIs falls outside of the scope of Squarespace support, feel free to contact us with general questions.