In this guide, you’ll learn about our new Orders API beta, how to request access, and what to do with your unique API key.
About our API
What you can build
With our API, you can build direct Commerce integrations with other software. It currently provides access to orders placed through the Commerce platform and the ability to mark them as fulfilled.
Using the data we expose through the API, you can:
- Connect to a third-party fulfillment or shipping application
- Send order confirmation emails through third-party software
- Automate shipping label printing
At this stage, our API supports direct integration between the Squarespace platform and its merchants. We don’t currently support OAuth authentication for third-party apps.
Currently in beta
The Squarespace API is currently in private beta. If you’re interested in participating, complete this form. If we believe you’re a good candidate to participate in the private beta, we’ll reach out to you. We expect the private beta to last a few months, starting in January 2017. During the private beta period, we’ll listen to participants’ feedback and make refinements before we open the API for public use.
API key security
Once you’re in the private beta, you can generate a unique API key. The API key is a randomized string of characters. This API key permits authenticated access to your Squarespace account. You can create a new key using the steps below. During the private beta, only beta participants will be able to access this functionality.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Advanced.
- Click API Keys (Beta).
- Click Create Key.
When you get this key:
- Keep it secure. Treat your API key like you would treat any account password.
- Copy and save it for your records. For security, we don’t store your API key. There’s no way to retrieve it once you close the window, but if you lose it, you can always create a new one.