Customer profiles are automatically created after a customer checks out. You can view and manage customers in the Profiles panel. Use the Customers filter in the Profiles panel to:
- View key information like order history, email address, and total money spent.
- Sort customers by number of orders, total amount spent, and other details.
- Organize customers using notes and tags.
Managing customers is a premium feature available in Commerce plans.
Before you begin
- It isn't possible to create, import, or edit customers manually at this time.
- Customer profiles don't include abandoned checkouts.
- If you have a subscription to Member Areas, anyone who purchases a membership to your member areas appears in Customers.
You can enable customer accounts to help customers checkout faster. When a customer creates an account, they can securely save their payment methods, shipping addresses, shopping carts, and online order information. Customers with an account will display a check in the Accounts column of the Customers panel.
You're responsible for helping your customers with any issues they may have when accessing their customer accounts. Learn more our best practices for helping your members in the Help your account holders section of our customer accounts guide.
Filter by Customers to view customer details:
- From the Home menu, click Profiles, then click Customers.
- A list of your customers displays in the panel. You can sort the list by details like name, email address, and last order date.
- Use the Total Spent drop-down menu to view customers who spent the selected minimum or maximum amount on your site, or click More Filters for other filter options. To search for specific customers by name or email address, enter text in the search field, then press Enter.
- Click a customer to open an overview of their profile. From here, you can add tags and internal notes. If the profile displays an Accepts Marketing label, it means you can contact that user via an email campaigns.
- Click Customer Details for more information about their spending and order history.
Tip: Use menu shortcuts to add links to key Commerce panels directly to the Home menu.
View customer details
In the Customer filter, select any customer and click Customer details to open their spending and order history. Review these details:
- Email address
- Total spent
- Date of last order
- Average order value
- Number of orders
- Shipping address - From their most recent order. If the most recent order was for a digital or service product, the shipping address won’t appear.
- Billing address - From their most recent order
If your customer has an account, you can view all their saved shipping addresses, payment methods, and billing addresses if they've made an online purchase. Sales made through Squarespace Point of Sale don't display in a customer's account because it's not possible to log in during in person checkout.
Tip: Total spent, last order, order cost, and average order values are based on original order totals (including shipping, tax, and discounts). These amounts don't account for refunds.
Contact a customer
To contact a customer:
- In the Home menu, click Profiles, and then click Customers.
- Click the customer you want to contact.
- In their customer profile, click their email address to open a new email.
- You can require customers to enter their phone numbers at checkout.
- You can find a customer's contact information in their order summary.
Add and manage tags
You can add internal tags to help organize your customers and make them searchable. For example, creating a tag for "Top100" to identify top customers or "Vegan" to track dietary needs. Tags aren't visible to your customers. You can create up to 250 unique tags. To add tags:
- Click a customer to open their profile. Enter text in the Tags field to add searchable tags. Click the X on a tag to remove it.
- To manage tags, click the ... icon in the top right corner of the Profiles panel and click Manage tags.
- Click the ... icon beside a tag to edit or delete it.
Add internal notes
Add internal notes to keep track of customer details, like special shipping requests, previous interactions, and other key details. Internal notes aren’t visible to your customers.
To add a note:
- Click a customer to open their profile. Enter text in the Recent Internal Notes field.
- Click Save.
You can press Enter to add a new line or press Shift + Enter to save.
Below the Internal Notes field, you can view previous notes with the contributor name and date entered. Click the ... icon beside the note to edit or delete it.
Note: Customers notes are only visible in a customer’s unique profile and don’t include order notes.
View order history
The order summary doesn't include canceled orders.
View subscription history
In the customer details, click Recurring. Click a subscription to view its details or cancel it. To learn more, visit Subscription products.
Export as .csv
You can export all customers to a .csv file in the Profiles panel. Ensure you're on the Customers view, then click the ... icon in the top right corner. Click Export all profiles, then click Confirm. This can help you create a mailing list, marketing campaign, and more. The .csv file includes:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Total Orders
- Total Spent
- Average Order Value
- Date of Last Order
- Customer Since
- Shipping Name, Address, and Phone Number
- Billing Name, Address, and Phone Number
Note: Notes aren't included in the exported .csv file.
Can my customers log into their accounts?
Yes. By enabling customer accounts, your customers can create accounts at checkout or by using a Sign In link on your site. They can log into their account to manage their saved information and view orders.
Can I add new customer profiles?
Customer profiles are generated when an order is received, based on the email address entered at checkout. If you enabled customer accounts, your customers can create accounts without placing an order using the Sign In link.
Can I export a .csv of specific groups/tags of customers?
No, it's only possible to export the full customer set as a .csv file. However, tags are included so you can and sort and filter by any criteria after opening the file with a spreadsheet program.
Why do I see duplicate customers?
Customer profiles are generated by email address entered at checkout. If a customer uses an alternate email address for a second order, this creates a new customer profile. It isn't possible to merge profiles at this time.
Why isn't there a shipping address?
Customer information is based on the most recent order. If the most recent order was for a digital or service product, no shipping address was collected at checkout.
Can I view customer details on a Commerce legacy plan?
No. The ability to view customer details is exclusively available for current Commerce Basic and Advanced plans. If you're on a Commerce legacy plan, you can switch to a current Commerce plan to begin using this feature. To learn more, visit What plan am I on?