Connect a PayPal account so customers can use PayPal to purchase products from your store.
Offer your customers PayPal as a payment method at checkout by connecting a PayPal Business account to your site.
For common questions about accepting PayPal and what's supported in this integration, visit PayPal FAQ.
You can also accept debit cards, credit cards, and Apple Pay, by connecting Stripe. You can connect both PayPal and Stripe.
Note: Ensure your products comply with Section 1.2 of our Product Specific Terms and meet PayPal's Acceptable Use guidelines.
Commerce and payment processors are premium features available in the Business, Commerce, Professional, and Premium plans.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- To accept PayPal, you'll need a PayPal Business account. If you already have a PayPal Personal account, you can upgrade this for free. During setup, you'll be prompted to create, connect, or upgrade an account. See Step 2.
- Review PayPal’s processing fees. PayPal doesn't refund their processing fees when you refund an order.
- PayPal can’t be used to pay for Squarespace subscription products, subscription pricing plans, or fixed-amount pricing plans paid in installments.
- If your PayPal Business account uses an address in Australia, Brazil, India, Israel, or Japan, connect to PayPal manually.
- PayPal only allows adding a debit or credit card to one PayPal account at a time. If you sign up for a PayPal Business account during setup, and a card you enter is attached to another account (like a Personal account), then PayPal won't accept your card details. Visit Troubleshooting for more information.
Step 1 - Connect to PayPal
- Open the Store payments panel.
- Click Connect PayPal.
- A pop-up window will open. You can log into your PayPal Business account, upgrade a PayPal Personal account, or create a new PayPal account. For help, continue to Step 2.
Tip: If a pop-up window doesn't open at this step, unblock pop-ups in your browser. For help, visit these guides from Google Chrome or Firefox.
Step 2 - Add a PayPal Business account
Follow these steps to connect an existing PayPal Business account, upgrade a PayPal Personal account for free, or create a new account.
Connect an existing PayPal account
If you already have a PayPal account:
- Enter the email address for your account and select your country.
- Click Next.
- Enter your login credentials. If prompted, follow PayPal's steps to upgrade to a free PayPal Business account. You may be asked to verify your identity.
- Click Go back to Squarespace after the successful authorization message displays.
Sign up for a PayPal Business account
If you don’t have a PayPal Business account yet:
- Enter your email address.
- Click Next.
- Fill in your information, then click Agree and Continue.
- Use the drop-down menus and other fields to tell PayPal about your business. In the Product or service keyword field, enter the product type you sell and select a suggested product from the drop-down menu. If you don't select a product from Paypal's suggestions, the connection process may fail. Click Continue.
- Enter your personal information, then click Submit.
- When you see the successful authorization message that says “Thanks for signing up,” click Go back to Squarespace.
Step 3 - Verify your Paypal account
Verifying your Paypal account is important because you can't withdraw funds from an unverified account. If you already verified your account, you can skip this step and go to Approve Squarespace Commerce transaction fees.
To verify your account, PayPal sends you an email with “Confirm your email address” in the subject line. Follow the instructions in the verification email to complete the verification process. If you can't find the email in your inbox, it may be in your spam folder.
Step 4 - Approve Squarespace Commerce transaction fees
Follow these steps to sign a PayPal billing agreement and approve Squarespace Commerce transaction fees. Even if you're not on a Website Business plan or a legacy plan that has Squarespace Commerce transaction fees, you still need to complete this step. This ensures you can can continue to accept PayPal without disruption should you ever change your website plan or offer Digital Products.
To approve Squarespace Commerce transaction fees:
- On your Squarespace site, in the Next Step window, review your plan's Squarespace Commerce transaction fee information, then click Agree & Continue.
- A pop-up window will open. Log into your PayPal Business account, select a payment method for the fees, then click Agree & Pay.
If you haven't selected a credit or debit card for your PayPal account, you may be prompted to do so.
After accepting the fee agreement, your PayPal connection is complete and you'll receive a confirmation email from Squarespace.
Step 5 - View PayPal at checkout
Customers buying your products will see a Continue with PayPal option at checkout. They can log into their PayPal account to complete their purchase.
Paying with Venmo
Customers who check out on mobile will see the option to pay with Venmo if they meet these criteria:
- They enabled mobile web purchases in the Venmo app
- They're using a supported mobile browser to shop
After clicking Continue with PayPal, they'll see the option to Pay with PayPal or Pay with Venmo. For help enabling mobile web purchases in Venmo, your customers can visit Venmo's documentation.
Test a PayPal transaction
To test a PayPal transaction, use an alternate PayPal account at checkout, and then refund the order. It isn’t possible to check out using the same PayPal Business account connected to your site.
PayPal doesn’t support a test mode, so this process is different than what you’re used to if you’ve previously placed test orders with Stripe.
Note: PayPal charges a fixed fee on each transaction. While all other Squarespace and PayPal processing fees are refunded, the fixed fee isn't returned for refunded transactions.
Connecting multiple sites to PayPal
You can connect multiple Squarespace sites to one PayPal Business account. However, each Squarespace site can only be connected to one PayPal Business account.
Accepting and refunding foreign currency in PayPal
Payments made in foreign currencies should convert automatically in PayPal, but if you see a hold on one of these payments, you may need to change your PayPal settings to accept them. It's not possible to refund a payment that's on hold.
To remove PayPal as a payment method, disconnect PayPal at any time. Visitors will no longer be able to check out with PayPal.
- Open the Store payments panel.
- Click Manage beneath PayPal.
- Click Disconnect PayPal.
To connect a different PayPal Business Account, repeat the steps in this guide.
Reset your PayPal connection
If you already accept PayPal and then switch to a plan that requires Squarespace Commerce transaction fees or add on a subscription pricing plan, we may disconnect PayPal from your site. If this happens, reconnect PayPal, ensuring you sign the billing agreement to accept Squarespace Commerce transaction fees.
Who to contact for support
Squarespace Customer Support can help you with the following PayPal integration questions:
- Connecting PayPal
- Issuing refunds
- Order management
- Most checkout issues
- General questions before signing up
For troubleshooting steps and information about error messages in PayPal, visit the PayPal FAQ.