Offer your customers PayPal as a payment method at checkout by connecting a PayPal Business account to your site.
For common questions about accepting PayPal and what's supported in this integration, visit PayPal FAQ.
Watch a video
Note: To accept debit cards, credit cards, and Apple Pay, connect Stripe. You can connect both PayPal and Stripe.
Note: Ensure your products comply with Section 10.2 of our Terms of Service and meet PayPal's Acceptable Use guidelines.
Commerce and payment processors are Premium features available in Business and Commerce plans.
Before you begin
- To accept PayPal, you'll need a PayPal Business account. If you already have a PayPal Personal account, you can upgrade this for free. During setup, you'll be prompted to create, connect, or upgrade an account. See Step 2.
- Review PayPal’s processing fees. If you refund an order, PayPal withholds the fixed fee portion.
- PayPal can’t be used to pay for Squarespace subscriptions.
- If your PayPal Business account uses an address in Brazil, India, Israel, or Japan, connect to PayPal manually.
- PayPal only allows adding a debit or credit card to just one PayPal account at a time. If you sign up for a PayPal Business account during setup, and a card you enter is attached to another account (like a Personal account), then PayPal won't accept your card details. Visit Troubleshooting for more information.
Step 1 - Connect to PayPal
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Payments.
- Click Connect PayPal.
- A pop-up window will open. You can log into your PayPal Business account, upgrade a PayPal Personal account, or create a new PayPal account. For help, continue to Step 2.
Tip: If a pop-up window doesn't open at this step, unblock pop-ups in your browser. For help, visit these guides from Google Chrome or Firefox.
Step 2 - Add a PayPal Business account
Follow these steps to connect an existing PayPal Business account, upgrade a PayPal Personal account for free, or create a new account.
Connect an existing PayPal account
If you already have a PayPal account:
- Enter the email address for your account. If you have a PayPal Personal account, follow PayPal’s prompts to upgrade to a free PayPal Business account.
- Click Next and follow the prompts.
- When prompted, give Squarespace permission to access your PayPal account.
- When you see the successful authorization message, click Go back to Squarespace.
Note: If these steps didn't work, try Connecting to PayPal manually.
Sign up for a PayPal Business account
If you don’t have a PayPal Business account yet:
- Enter your email address.
- Click Next.
- Fill in your information, then click Agree and Continue.
- Use the drop-down menus to tell PayPal about your business. Click Continue.
- Enter your personal information, and click Submit.
- When you see the successful authorization message that says “Thanks for signing up,” click Go back to Squarespace.
Note: Before you can withdraw funds from orders, you’ll need to verify your new account. Look for an email from PayPal with “Confirm your email address” in the subject line, and follow the instructions. After your account is Verified, you’ll be able to withdraw funds from PayPal.
Step 3 - Approve transaction fees
In addition to PayPal processing fees, you may be charged Squarespace transaction fees depending on your billing plan. These fees will be charged to your PayPal account.
- On your Squarespace site, in the Next Step window, review your plan's transaction fee information, then click Agree & Continue.
- A pop-up window will open. Log into your PayPal Business account, select a payment method for the fees, then click Agree & Pay.
Note: If you haven't selected a credit or debit card for your PayPal account, you may be prompted to do so.
After accepting the fee agreement, your PayPal connection is complete and you'll receive a confirmation email from Squarespace.
Step 4 - View PayPal at checkout
Customers buying your products will see a Continue with PayPal option at checkout. They can log into their PayPal account to complete their purchase.
Paying with Venmo
Customers who check out on mobile and have enabled mobile web purchases in the Venmo app will see the option to pay with Venmo at checkout. After clicking Continue with PayPal, they'll see the option to Pay with PayPal or Pay with Venmo.
Test a PayPal transaction
To test a PayPal transaction, use an alternate PayPal account at checkout, and then refund the order. It isn’t possible to check out using the same PayPal Business account connected to your site.
PayPal doesn’t support a test mode, so this process is different than what you’re used to if you’ve previously placed test orders with Stripe.
Note: PayPal charges a fixed fee on each transaction (for example, $0.30 for transactions for U.S.-based accounts) While all other Squarespace and PayPal processing fees will be refunded, this fixed fee isn't returned for refunded transactions.
Connecting multiple sites to PayPal
You can connect multiple Squarespace sites to one PayPal Business account. However, each Squarespace site can only be connected to one PayPal Business account.
To remove PayPal as a payment method, disconnect PayPal at any time. Visitors will no longer be able to check out with PayPal.
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Payments.
- Click PayPal.
- Click Disconnect PayPal.
To connect a different PayPal Business Account, repeat the steps in this guide.
Who to contact for support
Squarespace Customer Care can help you with the following PayPal integration questions:
- Connecting PayPal
- Issuing refunds
- Order management
- Most checkout issues
- General questions before signing up
- Confirm your bank account
- How long do bank transfers take?
- Verify your account
- Withdraw your money
- Reset password
- Prohibited businesses
Error message: "Sorry, we can't complete your purchase at this time" during connection process.
If your PayPal Business account uses an address in Brazil, Israel, India, or Japan, connect to PayPal manually.
Error message: "We're sorry, we weren't able to set up preapproved payments at this time. Please try again later."
This message appears when your PayPal Business account email address is linked to a PayPal Personal account. The Personal account may have a billing agreement saved that shares credit card information with the Billing account. This can cause the connection to fail.
To resolve this:
- Log into your PayPal Business account.
- Click Profile, then click Profile and settings.
- Click Update Email on the bottom-left corner of the page.
- Locate your personal email and click Remove.
For more help with PayPal, visit PayPal FAQ.