The Video Block adds an externally hosted video to your site. This guide uses a YouTube video as an example.
Note: Squarespace doesn’t support uploaded video. When embedding a video using a URL, only YouTube, Vimeo, Animoto, and Wistia are supported. You can use embed code for other video hosting services.
Watch a video
Step 1 - Add the Video Block
- Open a page or post editor.
- Click an Insert Point or the +.
- Select Video from the menu.
- For more detailed steps, visit Adding blocks.
Step 2 - Add a video
There are two ways to add a video:
Use the URL
Find the URL of your video. Copy the URL from your browser's address bar or the Share area, depending on your video host.
Tip: To embed an Animoto video using its URL, use the branded https://animoto.com/ URL.
In the Video Block Editor, paste the URL into the Video URL box. Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + V (⌘ + V on a Mac) to paste.
Tip: To add a YouTube playlist, right-click the Play all button on YouTube and select Copy link address. Paste that URL into the Video URL box.
Use the HTML embed code
Most video services have a Share or Embed button located near the video. Click Share or Embed, and then copy the embed code provided.
In the Video Block Editor, click the code </> icon to add the embed code.
Paste the embed code in the Code window. Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + V (⌘ + V on a Mac) to paste. Click Set.
Note: If neither the URL nor the embed code work, then the video host you're using probably doesn't use the oEmbed standard. For such services, we recommend placing the embed code in a Code Block.
Tip: For most video services, you can edit the embed code to enable autoplay. Learn more about autoplay here.
Step 3 - Add an image overlay (optional)
Once you've added the video, you can add a thumbnail image to overlay the video. Here's how the thumbnail image displays:
- The image will display over the video on your site before video is played.
- On desktop, the image overlay becomes a play button. Clicking the image starts the video.
- On mobile devices, tap the image once to show the video player, and then tap the play button to play the video.
To add a thumbnail:
- Drag your image into the image uploader. You can also click the image uploader to open a file selection menu and then select a file from your computer.
- Check Use Custom Thumbnail.
Step 4 - Add a video description
You can add a description to display below the Video Block. Some video services automatically populate this field when you add a video via URL. You can edit this text at any time.
Step 5 - Save
Click Apply to publish your changes.
To troubleshoot issues with the Video Block, visit Adding videos to your Squarespace site.