You can use the Donation Block to allow visitors to donate to your cause or organization. You can also use it to set up a customized cash gift registry on a wedding website.
The Donation Block appears as Donate button on the page. When a visitor clicks the button, they're led to a page where they can enter and submit a donation amount. You can customize the button text, suggested donation amounts, and change the button design. You can also add a custom form to collect specific information from donors.
The Donation Block works through our Commerce platform and uses Stripe to deposit donations to your bank account. You must have a Stripe account to collect donations through the block.
Before you begin
- To use the Donation Block to collect donations, connect your site to a Stripe account in Checkout Settings.
- Transaction fees apply to donations.
- The donation form always asks for an email address (required) and phone number at checkout.
Note: It isn't possible to process donations using PayPal at this time. As an alternative, you can process donations through PayPal directly.
Step 1 - Add the Donation Block
- Open a page or post editor.
- Click an Insert Point or the +.
- Select Donation from the menu.
- For more detailed steps, visit Adding blocks.
Step 2 - Add a title and description
- In the Donation Block Editor, enter a title in the Title box. The title displays on the Donation Page and in Thank You emails sent to donors.
- Enter information about your cause in the Short Description box. The short description displays on the Donation Page.
Step 3 - Edit the button
By default, the button for the Donate block says "Donate," but you can change it to fit your needs. For example, if you're using the Donation Block for a cash registry, you can change it to "Send us a gift."
- Scroll down and enter a new label in the Custom Button Label box.
- To change the alignment of the button, select Left, Center, or Right from the Button Alignment drop-down menu.
Step 4 - Add suggested amounts (optional)
Click the Amounts tab to add suggested contribution amounts. This encourages visitors to donate at specific levels. Visitors can select from the suggested amounts or donate any amount they choose.
Suggested contribution amounts are a great way to create different sponsorship levels. If you leave the Amount column blank, visitors can enter their donation amount without predefined options.
Click the + icon to add a specific amount.
You can add labels to the specific amounts, like "Gold Membership" or "Feeds 10 cats."
Remove an amount by clicking the trashcan icon that appears when you hover over it.
Step 5 - Add a custom form (optional)
Click the Additional tab to add a custom form to your Donation Block. You can use this to allow donors to give in someone's honor, select a thank you gift, or specify where they want their donation to go.
Administrators and Store Owners can view completed forms in Donations panel.
Click + icon to add a field.
Select a form field to add. To learn more about each form field, see Form fields explained.
Step 6 - Save the Donation Block
Click Apply to publish your changes.
- Style the Donation Block using the Checkout Page Style Editor.
- To learn how to change the Donate button's font, shape, and color, visit Styling buttons.
- Customize the automatic email that donors receive for their donation. This is a great way to thank donors in your own way and follow up with information about how you'll use the funds you've received.
- You'll receive an email notification when someone submits a donation.
- You'll also have access to a Donations panel where you can manage donations.