In Squarespace, service products are classes, consultations, events (without physical tickets), or other services you offer. Since service products aren't shipped to customers, they don't use shipping methods or require customers to enter a shipping address at checkout.
Tip: For merchandise, apparel, and other physical goods, visit Physical products. For ebooks, .mp3s, and other digital downloads, visit Digital products.
Step 1 - Select the product type
When adding a new product to a Products Page, select Service.
Step 2 - Edit the product information
Use the Name, Image, and Description fields to add information for your product.
To add product images, click the Upload images arrow in the image field or drag and drop images from your computer.
You can add multiple product images and customize how the images are displayed using the Style Editor. It's not possible to associate specific images with variants. Selecting a variant from a drop-down menu won't change the featured image.
Tip: You can set a product thumbnail image in the Options tab to represent the product in areas across your site like Product Blocks, Summary Blocks, and the Products panel.
Step 3 - Add tags and categories
Use Tags + and Categories + to organize your products.
After adding categories to products, the categories create automatic navigation on your Products Pages. This option can be enabled and disabled in the Style Editor. The style of this navigation varies by template. To learn more, visit Organizing products.
- Tags must be 80 characters or fewer.
- Categories must be 25 characters or fewer.
- Tags and categories are case-sensitive. For example, entering Apples, apples, and APPLES creates three tags or categories.
- Tags and categories appear in alphabetical order.
Categories vs. tags
Step 4 - Edit pricing and variants
Click the Pricing & Variants tab to define attributes for your product.
Inventory and Pricing
You can define each of the following options for Service Products:
- SKU - This is the inventory identifier for your product. Squarespace creates one automatically, but you can change it to a SKU that matches your inventory scheme. SKUs have a 20 character limit. A single product can have up to 100 SKUs.
- Pricing - Set the price customers will pay for the product with additional options for sale pricing.
- Stock - Add the number of units available. You can also set an Unlimited stock value. To prevent customers from buying more than one of any service product at a time, you can hide quantity drop-down menus in Checkout Settings.
Note: If the Stock is one, the Quantity field won't appear on the product's item page.
Note: Weight and dimensions aren't required.
Variants are alternate versions of a product with different attributes, like size or color. A single product can have up to 100 variants. Variants let customers choose between product options using drop-down menus. To learn more, visit Adding basic product variants.
Step 5 - Save
Click Save & Publish to publish the product to your Products Page. This sets the product as available for purchase.
Tip: To schedule the product to publish to your live store later, click Save (but not Save & Publish). To learn more, visit Scheduling products.
Beyond the basics, you can add more to your service product for further customization, including a detailed description, a custom form to collect special information, images, and custom buttons. To learn more, visit the main Adding products to your store guide.