You can sell ebooks, audio files, and other digital downloads by creating digital products. When a customer purchases a digital product, they're sent a download link. The link expires 24 hours after the purchase. If a customer clicks an expired link, we'll send a new link to the email address used for the initial purchase.
Tip: For merchandise, apparel, and other physical goods, visit Physical products. For events, classes, and services, visit Service products.
Commerce is a Premium feature available in Business and Commerce plans.
Before you begin
- The file size limit for digital products is 300 MB.
- All file types are accepted, but only one file can be added to each digital product. You can zip files together and upload the zipped file to a digital product, as long as it's under 300 MB.
- It's not possible to set the quantity or add variants for digital products.
- It’s not possible to sell digital products as subscriptions.
Step 1 - Choose the product type
When first adding a new product, choose Digital.
Step 2 - Edit the product information
Note: We recently updated the product composer, which we’re releasing in waves to all Squarespace sites. If the steps in this guide don’t match what you see on your site, visit Using the new product composer instead.
Use the Name, Image, and Description fields to add information for your product.
Click the Upload images arrow in the image field or drag and drop images from a folder on your computer to add images for the product. You can add multiple images, which display as thumbnail images.
Step 3 - Add tags and categories
Use Tags + and Categories + to organize your products with tags and categories.
Adding categories to your products automatically creates category navigation on your Store Pages. The style of this navigation varies by template. To learn more, visit Organizing products.
- Tags must be 80 characters or fewer.
- Categories must be 25 characters or fewer.
- Tags and categories are case-sensitive. For example, entering Apples, apples, and APPLES creates three tags or categories.
- Tags and categories appear in alphabetical order.
Step 4 - Upload a file
Click the Pricing & Upload tab to set a price and upload your file. Click the Upload arrow to choose a file from your computer or drag and drop a file into the Add a file field.
Note: The file size limit for digital products is 300 MB. Only one file can be added to each digital product. You can zip files together and upload the zipped file to a Digital product as long as it's under 300 MB.
Step 5 - Add Pricing
In the Pricing & Upload tab, you can set the price of the product and create sale pricing.
- Price - This defines the normal price for your product.
- On Sale - Check this box to set the product as On Sale.
- Sale Price - When you check the On Sale checkbox, the product will be listed with the sale price.
Step 6 - Save
Click Save & Publish to publish the product to your Store Page. This sets the product as available for purchase.
Tip: To schedule the product to publish to your live store later, click Save (but not Save & Publish). To learn more, visit Editing products.
Fix Saving Errors
The digital product can't be saved until you upload its file. If you don't upload a file before saving, this message will appear:
How customers download their file
After it's purchased, the file is available for download in the Order Confirmation page. The customer will automatically receive the standard order confirmation email, followed by an email containing a link to the file.
- This link will expire 24 hours after the purchase.
- If a customer clicks an expired link, we'll send a new link to the email address used for the initial purchase.
- To manually re-send the digital download link, open the order in the Orders panel, click Email notifications, then click Send under Resend and Refresh digital goods.
Note: If you change or delete the file in the digital product, your site can't send a new link when customers click an expired download link. To send customers an updated link, manually re-send it from the Orders panel.
Beyond the basics, you can add more to your product for further customization, including detailed descriptions, a custom form, images, and custom buttons. To learn more, visit Adding additional information to products.