When you created your Squarespace account, you chose a login email address and password. This guide explains how to change your email address while logged in or recover it if you’re locked out of your account.
Note: Keeping a valid email address on file ensures you receive important notifications about your account and replies from Customer Support. We recommend using an email address you regularly access.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- To transfer ownership of a site, follow the steps in Changing site ownership.
- To use an email address that’s already associated with another account, invite that address as a contributor. If you try to change your email address to one that's already in use, you'll see an error message.
- To log in through Facebook, Google, or Twitter instead of using an email address and password, visit Changing how you log into Squarespace.
- If you have a G Suite account through Squarespace, don’t use your G Suite email address as your account email address. If you forget the password for both accounts, you could be locked out of Squarespace.
- Updating your account email address doesn't change where you receive Form Block submissions. To change that email address, visit Managing form and newsletter storage.
- A valid account email address is required per our Terms of Service.
If you're logged into your account
To change your account email address:
Note: If you usually log in through a social account, you won’t see the option to update your Squarespace account email address. Instead, update the email address through your social account.
- Enter your account password.
- Enter your new email address twice.
- Click Save.
- You’ll receive a verification email from email@example.com. Click the link in the email to confirm your email as a valid address.
All sites connected to your account will update with this email address.
Tip: To re-send the verification email, in the Account & Security panel, click your email address, then click Re-send verification.
If you’re locked out of your account
If you forgot the email address associated with your Squarespace account:
- Go to https://www.squarespace.com/login
- Click Can't log in?
- Click Don't know the email address.
- Enter your custom domain or built-in Squarespace domain, then click Send email.
- Check all your email accounts to see which account received the recovery email.
Tip: A recovery email is only sent to the site owner's email address. To recover a contributor's email address, the site owner can log in and check the email listed in the contributor's profile.
After recovering your email, you can update your account email address.
If you can't find the recovery email, check the spam/junk folder for all your email accounts. If you're still having trouble, fill out this form to help us find your account. After verifying you're the account owner, an Advisor will help you log in.