Weight-dependent shipping lets you set shipping charges based on the total order weight. This method is great for stores selling items that are roughly the same size but vary significantly in weight.
Tip: For an overview of the shipping process and our other shipping methods, visit Setting up shipping rates.
Open the Shipping panel
In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Shipping.
Add Depending on Weight shipping
Note: It's not possible to create product-specific shipping rates at this time.
- Click Add Shipping Option.
- Choose Depending on Weight.
- Enter a name for the weight-dependent shipping in the Option Name field. This is what customers will see when they choose the shipping option at checkout.
Add weight ranges
Set the default Weight and Cost in the first weight range beginning at 0.00 pounds or kilograms.
Click the + button to add new weight ranges. This automatically adds a new weight range beginning at 0.01 pounds or kilograms above the previous range.
The last weight range will automatically be set to end in ∞ (infinity) pounds or kilograms. This lets you price all orders that weigh more than a specific weight.
The weight rounds to the nearest hundredth. For example, if you enter 10.109, the weight rounds to 10.11.
When you're done, click Save.
Note: If the bottom row is set to $0, all orders with a total cart weight over that amount will have a $0 shipping cost. We recommend setting a generous cost for the final weight range to cover any large or especially heavy orders.
Set product weights
Note: We recently updated the product editor, so the steps in this guide might not match what you see on your site. You can switch to the new product editor at any time, or follow the steps in Using the classic product editor if you aren’t ready to switch.
For your "Depending on Weight" shipping option to correctly charge shipping, you must set weights for all of your physical products and their variants. A product's weight doesn't display to customers unless you add it to additional information.
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click a Store Page.
- Click All. (Version 7.0 displays all products automatically.)
- Double click a product. For detailed steps, visit Editing a product.
- In the Customize section, click Advanced shipping.
- Add values to the Length, Width, Height, and Weight fields.
- Click Apply.
Change measurement standard (optional)
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Language & Region.
- Scroll down to Measurement Standard and select Imperial (pounds) or Metric (kilograms) from the drop-down menu.