You can link to any page, file, email address, phone number, or other content in many areas of your site.
Where you can add links
You can add links to almost any part of your site:
- Text - Create a hyperlink almost anywhere you can add text.
- Navigation - Create your site's navigation structure with links to your pages.
- Images - Turn an image into a link.
- Buttons - Add a button using the Button Block and Cover Page Actions panel.
For steps on finding where to add the link, see Step 1.
Where links can go
Links can direct to other websites and your site content. They can also prompt visitors to contact you via phone or email. You can link to:
- Email addresses
- External sites or pages
- Content or posts filtered by a tag or category
- Pages on your site
- Phone numbers
- SMS / text message
For steps on directing links, see Step 2.
Step 1 - Open a link editor
The first part of adding a link is creating the content that will turn into the link. For example, for a text link, you’ll add the text that will become a link. To turn an image into a link, you’ll first add the image.
You can create a hyperlink almost anywhere you can add regular text, like Regular Pages, blog posts, and sidebars.
To add a text link:
- In an area like a Text Block, add a line of text, and then highlight it.
- Click the link icon in the text editor toolbar.
- Follow the link editor steps below to set up the link.
If you use Markdown, you can also add a text link using the Markdown Block.
For more detailed steps, visit Creating a text link.
You’ll create your site's navigation structure with links to pages in the Pages panel. To add a navigation link:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click the + icon next to a menu section like Main Navigation.
- To add a link to a page on your site, visit Adding pages to your navigation.
- To add a link to a page outside of your site or other content, click Link. Learn more in Using links in your navigation.
Image clickthrough URLs
You can turn an image into a link with a clickthrough URL. First add an image, and then find the link editor in the image’s editor. For more detailed steps, visit Using image clickthrough URLs.
When you add a Button Block, you’ll decide where the button will take visitors when they click it. To edit the button’s link, open the Button Block editor, and then follow the link editor steps below to set up the link.
To learn more, visit Using the Button Block.
- You can create anchor links.
- You can use deeplink URLs to link to specific images within a gallery.
- You can also add buttons and links to Cover Pages. To learn more, visit Using Cover Pages.
Step 2 - Set up the link
After opening the link editor, click through the Content, Files, and External tabs to link to different types of content.
Content tab - link to your site's content
Click the Content tab to add a link to content within your site, like a page or collection items filtered by tag or category.
To link to a page on your site:
- In the link editor, click the Content tab.
- Scroll down and select the page or content you’d like to link.
- When you've finished, press Enter to close the window.
To link to all collection items with a specific tag or category, visit Linking to tags and categories.
Note: If you change a source page's URL slug, open the link and reselect the page in the Content tab to update the link.
Files tab - link to a file
In the Files tab, you can link to an uploaded file visitors can download, like a .pdf, audio file, or image.
When clicked, the file will download or open in a new tab/window, depending on your visitor's browser. Visitors can also right-click (or Option+ click on a Mac) to download the file.
To add a file to a link:
- In the link editor, click the Files tab.
- To upload a new file, click New File to select a file from your computer, or drag a file directly into the Add a file area. The new file will appear in the Existing File tab.
- Within the Existing File tab, click on the file you want to link to. The file you select will be bolder than the others.
- Click Save or Apply, and then close the link editor.
Note: When you upload a file to a link, it's saved in the Existing Files tab of the link editor so you can use it again. Files added elsewhere, like images in Gallery Blocks or CSS files, don't store in the Files tab.
To learn more about managing files on your site, visit Uploading and managing files.
External tab - Link to any URL, email address, or phone number
The External tab is best for linking to:
- A URL of any page outside of your site
- An email address
- A phone number
- An SMS / text message
To link to external content:
- In the link editor, click the External tab.
- In the box, enter the full URL you’d like to link to, or follow the steps to add an email address, phone number, or SMS link.
- To have the link open in a new browser tab, rather than directing visitors away from your site, click Open in new window.
Notes: It isn't possible to automatically force links to open in an entirely new browser window, as this can cause issues with a browser's pop-up blocker.
Edit or remove a link
Click on the link in the Post or page editor to visit, edit, or remove it.
For help with broken links and other issues, visit Troubleshooting link issues.