If you have a domain with Name.com, you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. You may also find Name.com's guide helpful as you work on the transfer.
When you transfer your domain, you can manage all of your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account. You may also find Name.com's guide helpful as you work on the transfer.
Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
Step 1 - Log into Name.com
Begin your domain transfer by logging into your Name.com account:
- Go to Name.com and log into your account.
- Under My Domains, click the domain you'd like to transfer.
Step 2 - Delete the Name.com nameservers
To successfully transfer your domain, you'll need to delete the Name.com nameservers. This will cause some downtime for your domain. Any other services you have with Name.com will stop working. To check if you can resume the service following the transfer, contact Name.com.
- In the Domain Details section, click Manage Nameservers.
- Click Delete All.
- Click Save Changes.
- Click Delete DNS Zone.
- Click Back to Domain Details.
Step 3 - Unlock your domain
Your domain must be unlocked to transfer successfully. At the top of the page, ensure that your domain is unlocked. If it's locked, click the padlock icon to unlock it.
Step 4 - Verify domain contact information
To confirm your domain's contact information is up to date:
- In the Domain Details section, under Registrant Contacts, click Manage Contacts.
- Review the information listed in the Registrant tab. Ensure that all contact information in the Registrant tab is accurate. Name.com will send messages regarding the transfer to the Registrant's email address.
- If the contact information is out of date, edit the information, then click Save Changes.
- A pop-up message will appear with the option to opt out of Name.com's 60-day transfer lock. Check the Opt Out checkbox. This prevents your domain from locking for 60 days, delaying the transfer.
Note: For a smooth transition, the person listed as the registrant should handle the transfer. You can change the domain contact information in Squarespace after the transfer is complete.
Step 5 - Get the authorization code
To complete the transfer, you'll need an authorization code from Name.com:
- In the Domain Details section, find Transfer Auth Code.
- Click Show Code. The code that appears in place of the link is your authorization code. You’ll enter this code later, so copy and paste it in a safe place before continuing.
Step 6 - Start the transfer and enter the authorization code
Begin the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel:
- Confirm that you’re logged into the correct Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Enter domain field, then click the arrow.
- Click Transfer Domain.
- In the Authorization Code field, paste the authorization code, then click Save and Continue.
Step 7 - Review and confirm the registration details
In the Registration panel, confirm the contact information associated with the domain is correct. These fields automatically populate with registration information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
To review and edit the registration details:
- Ensure that the address shown in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
- Make any necessary changes to the information. Your changes will update on your WHOIS records when your transfer is complete.
- When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Save and Continue.
Step 8 - Enter or review your payment information
In the Payment Information panel, the card attached to your site appears as the payment method. If your site is on a trial, you'll enter your credit card information. When everything looks correct, click Save and Continue.
If you have any trouble entering your credit card information, ensure you're using a payment method we accept.
Step 9 - Review your order
In the Review Order panel, you'll see the details fo the transfer. By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Review the payment information.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms near the bottom of the panel, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Confirm and Purchase.
- You'll see a message confirming you've initiated the transfer. Click Done to return to your Domains panel.
Step 10 - Approve the transfer
After you've entered your authorization code, you can contact Name.com to ask them to approve the transfer to Squarespace.
If you don't contact them, Name.com should automatically approve the transfer within 5-7 days of entering your authorization code. For more details, see their documentation.
Step 11 - Check the transfer status and fix issues
Next, return to the Domains panel to confirm the transfer is in progress. If there's an issue with the domain, an error message will display.
To check the status of your transfer:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You'll see a "Transfer pending" message under your domain.
- Click your domain, then click Refresh to see the current status.
Transfer status error messages
If your domain displays an error message, you can clear it depending on the message:
- Domain is locked - This message displays if the domain is locked, which blocks the transfer. To fix the issue, log into Name.com and unlock the domain. After unlocking the domain, this message will clear.
- Authorization code needed - This message displays if Name.com rejected the authorization code you entered in Step 6. To fix the issue, ensure the authorization code is correct, enter it in the error message's text field, then click Submit. We suggest copying and pasting the code for accuracy. After entering the correct authorization code, this message will clear.
Step 12 - Wait for the transfer to complete
Name.com should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all steps above, contact Name.com for more details. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a Google Workspace email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from email@example.com, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, Name.com rejected the transfer, or for other reasons. For a full list of scenarios, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If your domain transfer is pending, you may be able to cancel it:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain that's pending transfer.
- Click Cancel transfer.
- Confirm the cancellation.
If you already confirmed the transfer in Squarespace, you may still be able to cancel it.
If your Domains panel still lists the domain as Transfer In Progress, ask Name.com to deny it. This may or may not be possible, and depends on whether they've already approved and released the domain.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over. While this step isn't necessary, you may find it easier to keep track of pending transfers.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click the domain under Transfers In Progress.
- In the Transfer Error box, click Dismiss.
You may need to refresh your browser for the failed domain to disappear.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your Name.com account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Enable SSL for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with Google Workspace.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.