To manage all aspects of your site in one place, move your domain billing and settings from Turbify to Squarespace.
If you have a domain with Turbify (formerly Verizon Small Business Essentials), you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. When you transfer your domain, you can manage all of your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account. You may find Turbify's guide helpful as you work on the transfer.
Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- Our suggestions for starting a transfer.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
Note: Before Verizon Small Business Essentials became Turbify in 2022, it rebranded itself as Aabaco from December 2015 to January 2018. Aabaco was aquired by Yahoo in January 2018. Verizon bought Yahoo in 2021. If you registered a domain with Aabaco or Yahoo during these time periods, you can use this guide to connect your domain.
Step 1 - Log into Turbify
Open a new browser window or tab to access your Turbify domain account:
- Go to Turbify, then log into your account.
- In the Domains section, find the domain you'd like to transfer.
- Under Control Panels, click Domain.
Step 2 - Unlock your domain
You need to unlock your domain before it can transfer:
- Under Domain Summary, ensure that the Locking status is Unlocked.
- If the status says Locked, click it, then switch the toggle off.
- Click Save.
Step 3 - Verify domain contact information
Important information about the transfer will be sent via email. Ensure that your contact information is correct to complete the process:
- Click the Contact Information tab.
Ensure that all information listed under Registration Contact and Administrative Contact is correct. Both email addresses must be valid and accessible to complete the transfer. We recommend using the same email address for both contacts and letting one person handle the transfer.
To make changes, click Update Contact Information.
- Click Save.
Note: Turbify requires email verification to update the Registration Contact. If you edit the Registrant, check the box to opt-out of the 60-day transfer lock to prevent your domain from locking. For a smooth transition, the person listed as the Admin should handle the transfer. To learn more, visit Turbify's documentation.
Step 4 - Get the authorization code
You'll need an authorization code from Turbify to complete the transfer:
- Click the Settings tab.
- Under Domain Summary, find Authorization Code, then click View.
- In the message that appears, click Follow these steps.
- Your authorization code will appear in a pop-up. You’ll enter this code later, so copy and paste it in a safe place before continuing.
Step 5 - Start the transfer and enter the authorization code
Begin the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel:
- Open the Domains panel for the Squarespace site you're transferring to..
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Enter domain field, then click the arrow.
- Click Transfer domain.
- In the Authorization code field, paste the authorization code, then click Save and continue.
Step 6 - Review and confirm the registration details
In the Registration panel, confirm the contact information associated with the domain is correct. These fields automatically populate with registration information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
To review and edit the registration details:
- Ensure that the address shown in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
- Make any necessary changes to the information. Your changes will update on your WHOIS records when your transfer is complete.
- When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Save and Continue.
Step 7 - Enter or review your payment information
In the Payment Information panel, the card attached to your site appears as the payment method. If your site is on a trial, you'll enter your credit card information. When everything looks correct, click Save and continue.
If you have any trouble entering your credit card information, ensure you're using a payment method we accept.
Step 8 - Review your order
In the Review Order panel, you'll see the details for the transfer. By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Review the payment information.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms near the bottom of the panel, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Confirm and Purchase.
- You'll see a message confirming you've initiated the transfer. Click Done to return to your Domains panel.
Step 9 - Approve the transfer through Turbify
After you've entered your authorization code, Turbify sends an email to the domain's registrant with a link to approve or deny the transfer. If you don't click the link, Turbify will automatically approve the transfer within five days of entering your authorization code.
Step 10 - Check the transfer status and fix issues
Next, return to the Domains panel to confirm the transfer is in progress. If there's an issue with the domain, an error message will display.
To check the status of your transfer:
- In the Domains panel, you'll see a "Transfer in progress" message under your domain.
- Click your domain, then click Refresh status to see the current status.
Transfer status error messages
If your domain displays an error message, you can clear it depending on the message:
- Domain is locked - This message displays if the domain is locked, which blocks the transfer. To fix the issue, log into Turbify and unlock the domain. After unlocking the domain, this message will clear.
- Authorization code needed - This message displays if Turbify rejected the authorization code you entered in Step 5. To fix the issue, ensure the authorization code is correct, enter it in the error message's text field, then click Submit. We suggest copying and pasting the code for accuracy. After entering the correct authorization code, this message will clear.
Step 11 - Review DNS settings (optional)
While you wait for the transfer to complete, you can review your domain's DNS settings:
- In the Home menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain that's pending transfer, then click Edit DNS.
- To delete records you no longer need, click the red trash can.
- To create a new custom record for your domain, click Add record
As you review the DNS records, keep in mind:
- While the domain is transferring, the DNS Settings panel can only display MX, TXT, A, CNAME, and SRV records. These records are imported from your domain provider. You can compare the records in the Squarespace DNS Settings panel to your provider's settings to determine if any are missing.
- If you have a custom email address attached to your domain, leave the MX records in place.
Step 12 - Wait for the transfer to complete
Turbify should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all the steps above, contact Turbify for more details. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a Google Workspace email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from firstname.lastname@example.org, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, Turbify rejected the transfer, or for other reasons. For a full list of scenarios, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If your domain transfer is pending, you may be able to cancel it. For more information, visit Canceling a domain transfer.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your Turbify account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Enable SSL for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with Google Workspace.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.