If you have a domain with Bluehost, you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. When you transfer your domain, you can manage all of your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account.
Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
Step 1 - Log into Bluehost
Begin your domain transfer by logging into your Bluehost account:
- Go to www.bluehost.com and log into your account.
- In the sidebar, click Domains.
- Find the domain you want to transfer, and select Manage from the drop-down menu.
Step 2 - Verify domain contact information
You'll confirm that your domain's contact information is up to date, this ensures that you receive correspondence about the transfer:
- Click the Contact tab, and review the information listed in the Registrant, Admin, and Billing sections.
- Ensure that all contact information for the Admin is correct. All communications regarding the transfer will be sent to the Admin's email address.
- You can change the information listed by clicking Edit, entering updated details, then clicking Save.
Note: Only edit the Admin's contact information, not the Registrant's. If you edit the Registrant, your domain could be locked for 60 days. You only need to verify the Admin contact information to transfer your domain. For a smooth transition, the person listed as the Admin should handle the transfer.
Step 3 - Unlock your domain
You must unlock your domain to transfer it away from Bluehost:
- Click the Security tab.
- In the Transfer Lock section, click the toggle to unlock your domain.
Step 4 - Get the EPP code
To protect your domain, Bluehost sends an EPP code to an email address in the domain's contact information. You'll need this code to complete the transfer:
- In the Security tab, scroll down to the Transfer Authorization / EPP Code section.
- Select an email address from the drop-down menu.
- Click Send Code.
- You’ll receive the code via email and will need to enter it later.
Step 5 - Start the transfer in Squarespace
Next, start the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel:
- Confirm you’re logged into the correct Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Transfer to Squarespace.
- A window will open, reminding you of the transfer requirements. Review the information and ensure that you've already taken all required steps.
- If you see an error message at this point, ensure that your domain meets all of our transfer requirements. If it does, contact Bluehost for more help.
Step 6 - Authorize the transfer
You'll use the EPP code to confirm you own the domain and want to transfer it:
- In the next window, you’ll confirm you’ve unlocked your domain, and you’ll enter the EPP code Bluehost emailed you after completing Step 4.
- The Unlock Domain option should display a green check mark, which means you can transfer it. If it displays a red ! instead, contact Bluehost for help, then click Refresh to try again.
- Next, in the field under Enter Authorization Code, add the authorization code from Bluehost.
Tip: The authorization code is a unique string of letters, numbers, and other characters. Because it can be a complex code, we recommend copying and pasting it instead of typing it.
- When both options look correct, click Continue.
Step 7 - Review the DNS settings
In the next window, confirm the DNS records to move to Squarespace. To minimize any downtime, we recommend keeping them all toggled to ON. Any options toggled to OFF must be managed manually.
- Point to Squarespace - Change CNAME and A records to point the domain to Squarespace.
- Keep Other DNS Records - Keep other DNS records intact, like MX records for email. Click View records to review the current DNS settings.
- Move Nameservers to Squarespace - Move the domain's nameservers to Squarespace. If you toggle this option off, it’s not possible to move DNS records to Squarespace.
If all settings look correct, click Continue.
Step 8 - Review and confirm the registration details
In the next window, confirm the domain’s registration details. Ensure that the address in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
These fields automatically populate with information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Continue. If you’ve added any new data, your WHOIS records will update when your transfer is complete. This won't disrupt the transfer process, but will ensure all contact records are correct when they move to Squarespace.
Step 9 - Confirm the registration terms and billing
Note: If your site is on a trial, you'll be prompted to enter your payment information before this step.
By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Confirm the credit card on file.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms in the white box, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Transfer.
- You'll see a message confirming you've initiated the transfer. Click Okay to return to your Domains panel.
Step 10 - Wait for the transfer to complete
The transfer needs time to process. To check the status of your transfer:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You'll see a "Transfer pending" message under your domain.
- Click your domain, then click Refresh to see the current status.
Bluehost should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all steps above, contact Bluehost for help. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a G Suite email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from firstname.lastname@example.org, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, entered the authorization code incorrectly, or for other reasons. For a full list of possible causes, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If your domain transfer is pending, you may be able to cancel it:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain that's pending transfer.
- Click Cancel transfer.
- Confirm the cancellation.
If your Domains panel still lists the domain as Transfer In Progress, ask Bluehost to deny it. This may or may not be possible, and depends on whether they've already approved and released the domain.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over. While this step isn't necessary, you may find it easier to keep track of pending transfers.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click the domain under Transfers In Progress.
- In the Transfer Error box, click Dismiss.
You may need to refresh your browser for the failed domain to disappear.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your Bluehost account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Enable SSL for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with G Suite.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.
Getting more help
For more help with transferring from Bluehost, contact their support team at (855) 803-8157. You can also visit their documentation.