If you have a domain with GoDaddy, you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. You may also find GoDaddy's guide helpful as you work on the transfer.
When you transfer your domain, you can manage all of your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account. Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
Step 1 - Log into GoDaddy
Begin your domain transfer by logging into your GoDaddy account:
- Go to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center and log into your account.
- Under Domains, click the domain you want to transfer.
Note: If you purchased Ownership Protection from GoDaddy, you'll need to disable it before transferring the domain. Follow GoDaddy's steps for downgrading domain protection.
Step 2 - Verify domain contact information
All communications regarding the transfer will be sent to the Administrative email address, so ensure that the contact information is accurate to complete the process.
- In Domain Settings, scroll down to the Contact Information section.
- Click Edit, then review the information listed in the Administrative tab. If you don't see the tabs, uncheck the Use for all contact types checkbox.
- Ensure that the Administrative email address is accurate and accessible.
- If you need to change the email address, update the it in the Administrative tab, then click Save.
Note: Only edit the Administrative contact information, not the Registrant's information. If you edit the Registrant, follow GoDaddy's instructions to opt-out of the 60-day transfer lock. For a smooth transition, the person listed as the Administrative contact should handle the transfer.
Step 3 - Unlock your domain
You need to unlock your domain before it can transfer:
- Scroll down to the Additional Settings section, then locate the Domain Lock status.
- If Domain Lock is on, switch the toggle off to unlock the domain.
- You'll see a message that GoDaddy is processing the domain's lock.
Step 4 - Request authorization code
To complete the transfer, get an authorization code from GoDaddy:
- In the Additional Settings section, click Transfer domain away from GoDaddy.
- Click Continue with transfer.
- Click Click here to see Authorization Code.
- Click Copy to clipboard.
- Save the authorization code somewhere safe to use later.
Step 5 - Start the transfer and enter the authorization code
Begin the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel:
- Confirm that you’re logged into the correct Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Domain Name field, then click Continue.
- Click Transfer to Squarespace.
- In the Enter Authorization Code field, paste the authorization code, then click Continue.
Step 6 - Review and confirm the registration details
In the Registration panel, confirm the contact information associated with the domain is correct. These fields automatically populate with registration information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
To review and edit the registration details:
- Ensure that the address shown in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
- Make any necessary changes to the information. Your changes will update on your WHOIS records when your transfer is complete.
- When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Save and Continue.
Step 7 - Enter or review your payment information
In the Payment Information panel, the card attached to your site appears as the payment method. If your site is on a trial, you'll enter your credit card information. When everything looks correct, click Save and Continue.
If you have any trouble entering your credit card information, ensure you're using a payment method we accept.
Step 8 - Review your order
In the Review Order panel, you'll see the details fo the transfer. By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Review the payment information.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms near the bottom of the panel, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Confirm and Purchase.
- You'll see a message confirming you've initiated the transfer. Click Done to return to your Domains panel.
Step 9 - Accept the transfer through GoDaddy
GoDaddy will automatically approve the transfer within five days of completing the process in Squarespace. However, you can speed up the process by accepting the transfer in GoDaddy's Domain Settings:
- Click View Details next to the message that acknowledges the transfer is in progress.
- Select the domain and click Accept transfer.
Step 10 - Check the transfer status and fix issues
Next, return to the Domains panel to confirm the transfer is in progress. If there's an issue with the domain, an error message will display.
To check the status of your transfer:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You'll see a "Transfer pending" message under your domain.
- Click your domain, then click Refresh to see the current status.
Transfer status error messages
If your domain displays an error message, you can clear it depending on the message:
- Domain is locked - This message displays if the domain is locked, which blocks the transfer. To fix the issue, log into GoDaddy and unlock the domain. After unlocking the domain, this message will clear.
- Authorization code needed - This message displays if GoDaddy rejected the authorization code you entered in Step 5. To fix the issue, ensure the authorization code is correct, enter it in the error message's text field, then click Submit. We suggest copying and pasting the code for accuracy. After entering the correct authorization code, this message will clear.
Step 11 - Wait for the transfer to complete
GoDaddy should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all steps above, contact GoDaddy for more details. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a Google Workspace email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from email@example.com, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, GoDaddy rejects the transfer, or for other reasons. For a full list of scenarios, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If your domain transfer is pending, you may be able to cancel it:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain that's pending transfer.
- Click Cancel transfer.
- Confirm the cancellation.
If your Domains panel still lists the domain as Transfer In Progress, ask GoDaddy to deny it. This may or may not be possible, and depends on whether GoDaddy has already approved and released the domain.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over. While this step isn't necessary, you may find it easier to keep track of pending transfers.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click the domain under Transfers In Progress.
- In the Transfer Error box, click Dismiss.
You may need to refresh your browser for the failed domain to disappear.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your GoDaddy account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Choose SSL settings for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with Google Workspace.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.