If you have a domain with GoDaddy, you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. You may also find GoDaddy's guide helpful as you work on the transfer.
When you transfer your domain, you can manage all of your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account. Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- Our suggestions for starting a transfer.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
Step 1 - Log into GoDaddy
Begin your domain transfer by logging into your GoDaddy account:
- Go to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center and log into your account.
- Under Domains, click the domain you want to transfer.
Note: If you purchased Ownership Protection from GoDaddy, you'll need to disable it before transferring the domain. Follow GoDaddy's steps for downgrading domain protection.
Step 2 - Verify domain contact information
All communications regarding the transfer will be sent to the Administrative email address, so ensure that the contact information is accurate to complete the process.
- In Domain Settings, scroll down to the Contact Information section.
- Click Edit, then review the information listed in the Administrative tab. If you don't see the tabs, uncheck the Use for all contact types checkbox.
- Ensure the Administrative email address is accurate and accessible.
- If you need to change the email address, update it in the Administrative tab, then click Save.
Note: Only edit the Administrative contact information, not the Registrant's information. If you edit the Registrant, follow GoDaddy's instructions to opt-out of the 60-day transfer lock. For a smooth transition, the person listed as the Administrative contact should handle the transfer.
Step 3 - Unlock your domain
You need to unlock your domain before it can transfer:
- Scroll down to the Additional Settings section, then locate the Domain lock status.
- If Domain lock is on, click Edit, then switch the toggle off to unlock the domain.
- In the message that appears, click the checkbox to confirm unlocking the domain, then click Continue.
- A pending update message appears next to Domain lock. This means GoDaddy is processing your domain unlock request.
Step 4 - Request authorization code
To complete the transfer, get an authorization code from GoDaddy:
- In the Additional Settings section, click Transfer domain away from GoDaddy.
- Click Continue with transfer.
- Choose Click here to see Authorization Code.
- Click Copy to Clipboard.
- Save the authorization code somewhere safe to use later.
Step 5 - Start the transfer and enter the authorization code
Begin the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel:
- Confirm that you’re logged into the correct Squarespace site.
- In the Home menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Enter domain field, then click the arrow.
- Click Transfer domain.
- In the Authorization code field, paste the authorization code, then click Save and continue.
Step 6 - Review and confirm the registration details
In the Registration panel, confirm the contact information associated with the domain is correct. These fields automatically populate with registration information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
To review and edit the registration details:
- Ensure that the address shown in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
- Make any necessary changes to the information. Your changes will update on your WHOIS records when your transfer is complete.
- When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Save and Continue.
Step 7 - Enter or review your payment information
In the Payment Information panel, the card attached to your site appears as the payment method. If your site is on a trial, you'll enter your credit card information. When everything looks correct, click Save and Continue.
If you have any trouble entering your credit card information, ensure you're using a payment method we accept.
Step 8 - Review your order
In the Review Order panel, you'll see the details for the transfer. By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Review the payment information.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms near the bottom of the panel, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Confirm and Purchase.
- You'll see a message confirming you've initiated the transfer. Click Done to return to your Domains panel.
Step 9 - Check the transfer status and fix issues
Next, return to the Domains panel to confirm the transfer is in progress. If there's an issue with the domain, an error message will display.
To check the status of your transfer:
- In the Home menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You'll see a "Transfer pending" message under your domain.
- Click your domain, then click Refresh to see the current status.
Transfer status error messages
If your domain displays an error message, you can clear it depending on the message:
- Domain is locked - This message displays if the domain is locked, which blocks the transfer. To fix the issue, log into GoDaddy and unlock the domain. After unlocking the domain, this message will clear.
- Authorization code needed - This message displays if GoDaddy rejected the authorization code you entered in Step 5. To fix the issue, ensure the authorization code is correct, enter it in the error message's text field, then click Submit. We suggest copying and pasting the code for accuracy. After entering the correct authorization code, this message will clear.
Step 10 - Review DNS settings (optional)
While you wait for the transfer to complete, you can review your domain's DNS settings:
- In the Home menu, click Settings, then click Domains. Or, if there's a ☰ in the top-left corner, open that menu and click Domains.
- Click the domain that's pending transfer, then click Review your DNS settings.
- To delete records you no longer need, click the red trash can.
- To create a new custom record for your domain, click Add record
As you review the DNS records, keep in mind:
- While the domain is transferring, the DNS Settings panel can only display MX, TXT, A, CNAME, and SRV records. These records are imported from your domain provider. You can compare the records in the Squarespace DNS Settings panel to your provider's settings to determine if any are missing.
- If you have a custom email address attached to your domain, leave the MX records in place.
Step 11 - Wait for the transfer to complete
GoDaddy should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all steps above, contact GoDaddy for more details. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a Google Workspace email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from email@example.com, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, GoDaddy rejects the transfer, or for other reasons. For a full list of scenarios, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If your domain transfer is pending, you may be able to cancel it. For more information, visit Canceling a domain transfer.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over.
Before the transfer is complete, you can accept it through GoDaddy to speed up the process. For help with accepting the transfer, visit GoDaddy's guide.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your GoDaddy account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Choose SSL settings for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with Google Workspace.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.