Collect and display reviews for download, physical, and service products.
Product reviews build trust with shoppers and can increase your sales. Customers can leave reviews for physical, download, and service products. It’s not possible to collect reviews for gift cards.
You can send product review request emails if you are on a Commerce, Professional, or Premium plan.
Tip:To import product reviews from Etsy, visit our guide on Importing product reviews from Etsy.
How it works
After you enable product reviews, customers who buy physical, download, or service products will receive an email automatically 14 days after you fulfill their order. Customers can leave a 1500-character written review for each item in the order, and a rating between one and five stars.
If their order contained multiple products, they'll only receive one email, but they can review each product individually. If they bought a subscription product, they’ll only receive one email requesting a review. Customers have 120 days to review their purchase.
If you delete a product, it can’t be reviewed. If you delete a product variant but not the product itself, the variant can still be reviewed.
Review request emails are sent for new purchases after you enable them. They aren't sent for purchases made through point of sale.
This is a preview of the review request email:
This is a preview of the review submission form:
Enable product reviews
To enable product reviews:
- Open the Product Reviews panel and click .
- Switch the Request reviews toggle on to enable product review emails.
- Switch the Email notifications toggle on to receive an email when a customer leaves a review.
- Click the Product and store reviews drop-down menu to select which reviews display. To learn more about these options, visit How product reviews display.
- Switch the Requested reviews toggle on to display product reviews on product details pages.
- If you imported Etsy reviews, switch the Imported reviews toggle on to display imported Etsy reviews on product details pages.
When you enable product reviews, the review request email will be sent for future purchases, and purchases fulfilled in the past 14 days.
Customize the product review email
You can customize the text and design of the product review email from the Customer notifications panel:
- Open the Customer Notifications panel.
- Click Customer engagement.
- Click Product review request.
To learn more about customizing email notifications, visit Customer email notifications.
It’s not possible to customize when the email is sent, or send multiple requests to the same customer.
How product reviews display
Product reviews display at the bottom of product details pages. How the reviews display depends on your product reviews settings. The stars that show the average rating are always black.
- Product reviews only - Displays all reviews and the average rating for the product the customer is viewing. The product title and featured image won't display in the reviews section. Imported reviews won't display.
- Store reviews only - Displays all reviews and the average rating for all products in your store. The product title and featured image display beside the review. For requested reviews, the featured image links to the product details page. Imported reviews will display.
- Product and store reviews - Divides product and store reviews into tabs on the product details page. Tabs only display if at least one review exists. For example, if you select Product and store reviews, but you have no store reviews, only product reviews display.
Tip: For tips to increase your revenue, visit Increasing your store's sales.
To read your product reviews and manage their visibility, open the Product Reviews panel. All product reviews for your site display here. You can review the:
- Posted on (date)
To change a review's visibility, click the Visibility drop-down menu and click Public or Hidden. If you're hiding a review, click Hide to confirm.
Disable product reviews
To stop sending product review request emails:
- Open the Product Reviews panel.
- Switch the Request reviews toggle off.
This stops the review request email from sending for future purchases, and purchases fulfilled in the past 14 days.
To hide product reviews from your store, go to the Display section and switch the Requested reviews and Imported reviews toggles off.
Can I send a review request email for all prior orders?
No. Purchases fulfilled more than 14 days before you enabled product reviews won't receive the product review request email.
What happens to my reviews if I downgrade?
If you downgrade to a Business or Personal plan, you’ll lose the ability to send product review request emails, but reviews you’ve already collected remain on your product details pages.
Can I move products between store pages?
Yes. The product review request email sends even if you move products between store pages.
Can I transfer my reviews to a new site?
No. It's not possible to move product reviews between sites.
Does the review request email send for sold-out products?
Yes. The review request email sends even if a product is out of stock.
Can I delete a product review?
It’s not possible to delete a review, but you can hide a review from displaying on your product details pages. Open the Product Reviews panel. Find the review you want to hide, click the Visibility drop-down menu, click Hidden, then click Hide.
Can customers delete or edit their product reviews?
No. It's not possible for customers to delete or edit their product reviews.
Can I respond to a product review?
It’s not possible to respond directly to reviews. As an alternative, you can email your customers.
Why can’t my customer leave a product review?
There are a few reasons customers might have trouble leaving a product review:
- There’s a time limit. Customers can only leave a review within 120 days of their order.
- The product must still be visible in your store.
- Customers don’t receive the product review request email for subscription renewal orders.
- Customers can only leave one review per product.