Automatically calculate US sales tax during checkout.
You can use our TaxJar extension to streamline your business’s sales tax filing, reporting, and to automatically calculate US sales tax during checkout. TaxJar is a third-party service you can connect to your site.
Use this guide to decide which TaxJar features you need for your store, which Squarespace and TaxJar plans to subscribe to, and how to enable these features. For help with TaxJar beyond connecting and disconnecting the extension, contact TaxJar's support.
Note: This guide is available as a resource, but should not be construed or relied upon in any way as legal or tax accounting advice. Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations regarding laws applicable to your site or business. If you have questions about collecting taxes, you can consult with a tax advisor.
You can use these features with the TaxJar extension:
Automatic tax rate calculations
This feature automatically calculates sales tax at checkout based on your customer’s shipping or billing address.
Recommended if you:
- Sell products in the United States
- Don’t want to manually set up tax rates
Sales tax filing and reporting
TaxJar’s AutoFile and Sales Tax Reports include automatic electronic filing for state sales tax and provide accurate, detailed reports for sales and sales tax collected by state and local jurisdictions.
Recommended if you:
- Want to save time filing state sales and local taxes
- Worry about missing due dates for filing taxes
- Want to avoid errors when collecting sales tax
- Want help determining if your sales are approaching the economic nexus threshold in each state.
Squarespace and TaxJar plans
Squarespace and TaxJar require specific plans, depending on if you use automatic tax rate calculations, sales tax filing and reporting, or both. Use this table to to find which Squarespace and TaxJar plans you need:
Required Squarespace plan
Required TaxJar plan
Automatic tax rate calculations only
No paid TaxJar plan required if you're on a Squarespace Commerce, Professional, or Premium plan. Your TaxJar plan is included.
If you’re on a TaxJar trial, visit Why is my TaxJar plan on a trial? for next steps.
Sales tax filing and reporting only
Automatic tax rate calculations and sales tax filing and reporting
Connect the TaxJar extension
To enable automatic tax calculations:
- Review Squarespace and TaxJar plans to find which Squarespace and TaxJar plans you’ll need.
- Review your current website billing plan and upgrade your plan if needed.
- Connect the TaxJar extension by signing up for TaxJar.
To enable sales tax filing and reporting:
- Review the Squarespace and TaxJar plans overview to find which Squarespace and TaxJar plans you’ll need.
- Confirm your current Squarespace website billing plan and TaxJar subscription plan.
- Follow our steps to connect the TaxJar extension.
Note: While we work with third-party services to ensure Squarespace Extensions work properly, extensions fall outside our scope of support. We can help with connecting or disconnecting your extensions. For all other questions, contact the extensions provider directly.