You can remove all member areas from your site at any time by canceling your Member Areas subscription. There are two ways you can end your subscription:
- Option 1 - Cancel your Member Areas subscription to deactivate all of your member areas immediately.
- Option 2 - Disable auto-renew to let your Member Areas subscription expire at the end of the current billing cycle.
Billing for Member Areas is handled separately from your website subscription. If you cancel your site, we’ll continue to renew your Member Areas subscription using the credit card on file.
At this time, it’s only possible to manage your Member Areas subscription from a computer.
You must have Admin or Billing permissions to cancel a Member Areas subscription.
Before you begin
If you cancel your Member Areas subscription or let it expire, you’ll lose access to the Members filter in the Profiles panel. Without this filter, you can’t pull lists of member profiles by member area. We recommend exporting all member profiles to a .csv file before you end your Member Area subscription so you can personally email members to explain the change.
Members who had purchased a membership to any member area with one-time or recurring membership fees will still appear in the Customers filter, and members who subscribed to an Email Campaigns mailing list will show in the Subscriber filter.
We issue a full refund automatically on annual subscriptions that are cancelled within 14 days of the initial subscription. Annual subscriptions canceled after the first 14 days and all monthly subscriptions aren’t eligible for a refund. To learn more, visit Refund policies.
Option 1 - Cancel your subscription
This option cancels your subscription immediately and you won't receive a refund for the remaining time on your billing cycle. By completing these steps, your member areas will be deleted, all protected pages will be moved to the Not Linked section and become publicly accessible, and all memberships will be cancelled. Your members will receive a Membership Cancellation email, notifying them of this change.
If you resubscribe to Member Areas in the future, members will have to resubscribe to your member areas.
To cancel your Member Areas subscription:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings
- Click Billing & Account, then click Billing.
- Click Member Areas.
- Click Cancel Subscription.
- In the next panel, click Cancel Member Areas Subscription.
- Click Confirm.
Option 2 - Turn off auto-renew
This option sets your Member Areas subscription to expire at the end of its current billing cycle. Your members will have membership access to your member area content for the remainder of the cycle. At the end of the billing cycle, your member areas will be deleted, all protected pages will be moved to the Not Linked section, and all memberships will be cancelled. Your members will receive a Membership Cancellation email, notifying them of this change.
To turn off auto-renew:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Billing & Account.
- Click Member Areas.
- Uncheck Auto-renew.
- Click Confirm.
After cancellation or expiration
After your Member Areas subscription is cancelled or expires, all Member Area features disappear from your site:
- Your Pages panel no longer includes a Member Areas section.
- The pages you built in each member area move into the Not Linked section and become publicly accessible.
- Existing members receive your Membership Cancellation email, notifying them that their membership is cancelled.
- Future charges of recurring membership fees are cancelled.
- Members still have access to their Customer Accounts, but can’t see navigation links to members-only content.
- You lose access to the Commerce features that came with your Member Areas subscription.
Visitors to your site won’t see your Member Sign Up Blocks or be able to purchase memberships. Any members who stored direct links to member area pages, however, can still use these links to access your now unrestricted content. Consider using page passwords to keep these pages private.
Resubscribe to Member Areas
To resubscribe to Member Areas:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Member Areas.
- Click Select Plan at the bottom of the Member Areas panel.
After you resubscribe, you can recreate each member area and drag and drop your member area pages from the Not Linked section into the Member Areas section of the Pages panel.
Any settings saved before your last Member Areas subscription ended—such as customization of the Access Denied screens and email notifications—won’t be reinstated, and all members must go through the signup process again. See our recommendations for migrating old members to your re-established member areas in Managing members.